Updated on November 24, 2020: Today Xiaomi rolled October 2020 security patch for the Redmi Y3 in India with software version V18.104.22.168.PFFINXM.
Xiaomi Redmi Y3 made it to the market in April 2019 sporting a Snapdragon 632 SoC along with Adreno 506 GPU, 3/4GB of RAM, and 32/64 of eMMC 5.1 internal storage. The midrange device arrives with a 6.26-inch IPS LCD panel boasting 720×1520 pixels resolution. Furthermore, it sports a dual rear camera setup and a single front camera setup arranged in a U-shaped notch. The phone comes preloaded with Android 9.0 MIUI 11. Here’s an update on Android 11 for Xiaomi Redmi Y3 so do read it.
Android 11 Overview
Every year, Google pushes a new Android OS (and tonnes of minor updates). Starting with February when Android 11 Developer Preview 1 was rolled out, the company will release a total of 7 iterations before perfecting it and releasing a stable version of Android 11 sometime in Q3 2020. This is where Xiaomi will tweak it, add a few features, and a great MIUI skin among others, and launch it at the end of this year.
Android 11 boasts a string of features that are either improved versions of what we have seen with previous iterations while many are limited to Android 11 and will be boiled down to MIUI 12 (based on Android 11) as well. Here’s what’s interesting about Android 11 Features.
- Scheduled Dark Theme
- ‘Conversations’ Section in Notification Shade
- Built-in Screen Recorder
- Pin Apps in the Share Menu
- Send Images in Notification Replies
- New APIs for 5G
- Reverse Wireless Charging Support (Google Pixel 4a or 5)
- Use Bluetooth Headphones in Airplane Mode
- Scrolling screenshots
- Bubble Notifications on by Default
- New Back Cover Gestures (Likely Pixel-Exclusive)
- Show Refresh Rate
- Power Menu Toggles
- Quick Access Wallet
- New Permissions Options
- Background Location Access Must Be Granted Manually
- Auto-Block Spammy Permission Prompts
- New Scoped Storage Permission
- New Motion Sense Gesture (Pixel 4)
- New Notification History UI
- Increase Touch Sensitivity
- Better Back Sensitivity
- Mobile Drivers License Support
- Changes to BiometricPrompt API
- Improved Call Screening
- Support for Punch Hole & Waterfall Displays
- Disable Vibrations While Using the Camera
- HDMI Low-Latency Mode
- Low Latency Video Decoding
- New Bluetooth Stack
- Separated Quick Settings & Notification Tray
- Music Player in Quick Settings
- Unsupported Bluetooth Codecs Are Now Grayed Out
- Suggested Apps in Home Screen Dock
Android 11 for Xiaomi Redmi Y3
Xiaomi hasn’t confirmed the list of smartphones that will get Android 11 at this moment. However, considering the update cycle that it has followed over the years, it can be deduced that Redmi Y3 might not get Android 11 since Redmi phones are subjected to receive a single major OS upgrade unlike the Redmi Note or Mi series.
On the other hand, Xiaomi has already confirmed that Redmi Y3 will get MIUI 11 based on Android 9/10 that it is currently on which gives you access to a whole new world of features but there’s no date attached to it as well. We will update its status on Android 11 once something is official from Xiaomi’s end so do stick along to know it.
Update as of July 13: Xiaomi Redmi Y3 is now getting Android 10 based on MIUI 11. Note that it isn’t a beta rollout and instead, Redmi Y3 is getting a stable MIUI 11-based Android 10 in China for now. Check out for the software version V22.214.171.124.QFLCNXM that should be available as an OTA update. For all those eagerly waiting to strap onto the Android 10, they can download the Android 10 China Stable version here.