Crusader Kings III is one of the latest grand strategy-based wargames that’s developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive. It is a sequel to Crusader Kings and Crusader Kings II. Though the game has already received positive reviews on Steam for the PC version, it seems that plenty of Crusader Kings 3 players are facing the crashing issue on startup on the Windows PC, which is frustrating.
Now, if you’re also facing the same issue for a while, then don’t worry, as we’ve provided a troubleshooting guide below to resolve it. Sometimes the startup crashing or the game not launching issue may appear on your PC due to system glitches, cache data issues, and many more reasons we’ve mentioned below. It has become one of the common issues among PC gamers these days no matter which game you’re playing or whatever PC configuration you’re using.
- Why Crusader Kings 3 is Crashing on Startup?
- Fix: Crusader Kings 3 Crashing on Startup on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Update Graphics Drivers
- 3. Update Windows
- 4. Run the game as an administrator
- 5. Close Background Running Tasks
- 6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
- 8. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
- 9. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 10. Close the game from Background Apps
- 11. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
- 12. Perform a Clean Boot
- 13. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 14. Verify Integrity of Game Files
- 15. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
- 16. Update Crusader Kings 3
Why Crusader Kings 3 is Crashing on Startup?
Talking about the startup crashing or the game not launching issue, it seems that plenty of players have conflicts with the game startup on the PC for several reasons. The chances are high that somehow your PC specification and the game requirements aren’t compatible enough, which can eventually trigger launching or gameplay issues. Whereas an outdated game version, issues with the game files, etc, may cause game crashes a lot.
Whereas outdated or missing graphics drivers, an outdated game launcher, issues with the background running tasks, an overclocked CPU/GPU, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables issues, DirectX-related issues, and more can also occur the crashing issue with PC games. It’s now recommended to follow this troubleshooting guide completely to resolve the issue. Now, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
Fix: Crusader Kings 3 Crashing on Startup on PC
Remember to follow all the methods one by one until the problem gets fixed completely. Sometimes a simple workaround can also help to fix or avoid such issues temporarily.
1. Check System Requirements
First, you should check whether your PC is capable enough to run the game or not. The incompatibility of the PC configuration with the game’s system requirements may conflict with multiple issues while launching or playing the game. If your PC becomes outdated or has a low-end specification, then you should check the game’s system requirements below. If in case, your PC hardware isn’t compatible, then make sure to upgrade the specific parts.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit / Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 / AMD FX 6350
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 (2GB) / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) / Intel Iris Pro 580 / Intel Iris Plus G7 / AMD Radeon Vega 11
- Storage: 8 GB available space
Recommended System Requirements:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K / AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB) / AMD Radeon R9 390X (8GB)
- Storage: 8 GB available space
2. Update Graphics Drivers
Updating graphics drivers on your Windows system is always required to run all the programs smoothly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Display adapters category to expand the list.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change the effects.
Alternatively, you can manually download the latest graphics driver version and install it directly from the official website respective to your graphics card manufacturer. Nvidia graphics card users can update the GeForce Experience app via the official site. Meanwhile, AMD graphics card users can visit the AMD website.
3. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users as well as PC gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, and more. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
4. Run the game as an administrator
Make sure to run the game exe file as an administrator to avoid user account control regarding privilege issues. You should also run the Steam client as an administrator on your PC. To do this:
- Right-click on the Crusader Kings 3 exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
Make sure to do the same steps for the Steam client too. It should help you to fix the Crusader Kings 3 issue on your PC.
5. Close Background Running Tasks
Unnecessary background running tasks or programs can eat up a lot of system resources like CPU or Memory usage literally reducing system performance. Hence, the startup crashing, lagging, and not loading issues appear quite often. Close all the unnecessary background running tasks completely. To do this:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab > Click to select tasks that are unnecessarily running in the background and consuming enough system resources.
- Click on End Task to close it one by one.
- Once done, restart your system.
Now, you can check whether you’ve fixed the Crusader Kings 3 Crashing on your PC or not. If not, follow the next method.
6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Make your game priority in the higher segment via the Task Manager to tell your Windows system to run the game properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on the Crusader Kings 3 game task.
- Select Set Priority to High.
- Close Task Manager.
- Finally, run the Crusader Kings 3 game to check if it crashing on the PC or not.
7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
You should try reinstalling the latest version of DirectX from the official Microsoft website on your PC/Laptop. You just need to download and install the DirectX installer package and run it.
8. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
The chances are high enough that maybe your default Windows Defender Firewall protection or any third-party antivirus program is preventing the ongoing connections or game files to run properly. So, make sure to temporarily disable or turn off the real-time protection and firewall protection. Then you should try running the game to check if the Crusader Kings 3 Crashing on the PC issue has been fixed or not. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result.
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- A new page will open > Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings.
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Similarly, you have to turn off the Windows Security protection too. Just follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings.
- Next, you’ll need to turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
- Additionally, you can also turn off cloud-delivered protection, Tamper protection if you want.
9. Set High Performance in Power Options
If in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options, just set the High-Performance mode for better results. Although this option will take higher power usage or battery usage. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
This should fix the Crusader Kings 3 Crashing issue on your PC in most cases. However, if none of the methods worked for you, follow the next one.
10. Close the game from Background Apps
If somehow the Crusader Kings 3 game is still going through issues, make sure to turn it off from the Background Apps feature on your PC. To do so,
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Privacy > Scroll down from the left pane and select Background apps.
- Scroll down and look for the Crusader Kings 3 game title.
- Just turn off the toggle next to the game title.
- Once done, close the window and restart your computer.
This method should help you out. However, if this doesn’t fix the issue, you can follow the next method.
11. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Ensure to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer to completely fix multiple gaming issues or errors. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open up the Start Menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it from the search result.
- Now, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer, and restart the system to change the effects.
12. Perform a Clean Boot
Some of the apps and their services may start automatically while booting the system right away. In that case, those apps or services will definitely gonna use a lot of internet connection as well as system resources. If you’re also feeling the same, make sure to perform a clean boot on your computer to check for the issue. To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- The Task Manager interface will open. Here go to the Startup tab.
- Then click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn them off from the startup process.
- Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
13. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
A couple of popular apps do have their overlay program that can eventually run in the background and cause issues with the gaming performance or even launching issues. You should turn them off to fix the issue by following the steps below:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
- Click on Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on the Games tab > Select Crusader Kings 3.
- Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
If in case, you’re unable to find out the Game Bar option, then just search for it from the Windows Settings menu.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
- Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes, and launch the game again.
Also, keep in mind that you should disable some other overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, or any other third-party overlay apps that always run in the background.
14. Verify Integrity of Game Files
If in case, there is an issue with the game files and somehow it gets corrupted or missing then make sure to perform this method to easily check for the issue.
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Crusader Kings 3 from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
15. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
It’s also worth mentioning not to enable CPU/GPU overclocking on your PC if your game is crashing or stuttering a lot. We can understand that overclocking CPU/GPU can make a huge impact in improving gameplay but sometimes it may also cause issues with the bottleneck or compatibility. Just set the frequency to default for optimal performance.
16. Update Crusader Kings 3
If in case, you haven’t updated your game for a while then make sure to follow the steps below to check for updates and install the latest patch (if available). To do this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library > Click on Crusader Kings 3 from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- It may take some time to install the update > Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.