Updates for Windows are needed to improve its performance. The updates enhance the Windows’ work efficiency and get rid of any bugs if there is found any. In some cases when you install a Windows Update, you suddenly receive an error saying “Provider DLL failed to initialize correctly“.
Don’t think of yourself as the only victim. Windows errors are very common and if there is a problem, there is also a way to fix it. Many users have complained that the Error Code 0x8009001d or we can say the Provider DLL failed to initialize correctly error happened when they tried to install a Standalone package or an entire update.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons behind this error 0x8009001d:
- 2 Solutions to fix Windows Update Error 0x8009001D:
- 2.1 Solution 1: Fix the issue with Windows Troubleshooter –
- 2.2 Solution 2: Windows Update components-
- 2.3 Solution 3: Standalone package issue-
- 2.4 Solution 4: Manually get rid of the contents of the SoftwareDistribution & Catroot2 folders:
- 2.5 Solution 5: Fixing Corrupt Windows images:
- 2.6 Solution 6: Delete Junk files from your system-
Reasons behind this error 0x8009001d:
The possible reasons behind this error are listed here-
- Junk files
- Software leftovers
- Standalone package issue
- Corrupt system files
There can be other things that are causing this issue but we are going to provide you with a number of solutions so that you can use your computer with ease.
Solutions to fix Windows Update Error 0x8009001D:
Solution 1: Fix the issue with Windows Troubleshooter –
Your Windows computer has Troubleshooters to fix various issues. Follow these steps to know how to use the Troubleshooter for Windows updates:
- First, you have to open the Settings by pressing Windows key + I.
- Then, go to Updates and security.
- Open the left-pane menu and click Troubleshoot.
- Click on Windows Update and Run the Troubleshooter.
- It will identify any errors, restart services like BITS, and resolve the issue.
Now, try for the Updates. If the error is still present, use the next solution.
Solution 2: Windows Update components-
The Windows Update components deal with the update system. So, there is a possibility that any kind of damage is present in the Windows Update components which are preventing the error from being fixed. Use the guide given below to learn how you can clear any corruption present in the Windows Update components-
- Download the Reset Windows Update Agent Tool from the official Microsoft’s website.
- Right-click on it and choose “Run as Administrator“.
- On your keyboard, type “Y” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- Now, you can see many options and there is an option on the number 4 that says “Reset Windows Update Components“.
- You have to type “4” (no quotes) to choose that option.
- The process is done, restart your system and check if the error is still showing.
Even after Winsock settings reset you are not able to remove the error, follow the next solution.
Solution 3: Standalone package issue-
To fix this issue you can do two things.
- If the error is received when you’re trying to install the Standalone package, then simply try to run Windows Update.
- If the error is received when you’re trying to run the Updates, then you must search for the package in the Microsoft Update Catalog site. The package name will be mentioned in the error. Install it. And see if the error is resolved.
If the matter is not about a Standalone package, the next solution is what you need.
Solution 4: Manually get rid of the contents of the SoftwareDistribution & Catroot2 folders:
The Windows Update download files are stored inside the SoftwareDistribution and the Catroot2 folders. If your issue is still present, then you should think about deleting the contents present inside these two folders. To do that you are given a tutorial below-
- First, you need administrative privileges.
- Start by opening the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R.
- Type “CMD” in the box.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. So that you can launch the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Type these Command lines given here
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
- These commands are used to stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Windows Update Service.
- Navigate to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Now, by pressing Ctrl+A you can delete all the files at a time.
- Keep it in mind that the files won’t delete if they are in use. To delete them you have to restart your computer and follow the same procedure again.
- You have emptied the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- The next step is to restart your computer and open Command Prompt.
- Execute the command lines given here
net start wuauserv
net start bits
- The folder will be repopulated.
- Again open the Command Prompt and execute the following command lines given here
net stop cryptsvc
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
- You can remove all the contents of the catroot2 folder now.
- Run the below command
net start cryptsvc
- Resetting of the catroot2 folder is done.
- Reboot your PC and check out the Windows Update.
If the problem persists, here is the next solution.
Solution 5: Fixing Corrupt Windows images:
One of the reasons for the “Provider DLL failed to initialize correctly” error is corrupt Windows images. You can execute a command line to fix this problem. Follow the guide step by step.
- Start by pressing the Windows key and type “Command Prompt”
- Right-click after opening the Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Click “Yes” if the prompt asks for permission.
- Run the given command line
- dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
- Restart your system and see if the Windows Updates are inducing any error.
If none of the solutions worked, then follow the next solution.
Solution 6: Delete Junk files from your system-
Getting rid of all the junk files, unnecessary files, and accumulated useless cache will help you run your system smoothly. There is a Disk Cleanup utility that you can use. And there are also external applications present for this purpose. Use them to clean your computer and try installing Windows Update.
Windows updates are necessary. Your work depends on how fast your computer processes and functions. Things can go a little out of hand sometimes. Don’t be terrified because you can count on the above-mentioned solutions to fix the ‘Provider DLL failed to initialize correctly’ error ( Error 0x8009001d).
There is always a reason behind when a problem comes up. We have left you with solutions for many possible reasons. Go through them and see if they are useful for you. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.