Windows operating system users face many errors related to Device Manager. Driver Error Code 32 is one of those errors. Generally, the error appears on the Device Properties tab. The error message notifies that a driver (service) for a particular device has been disabled.
Many users report the error on Windows 10 computers but the error also happens with the other previous versions of Windows. If you are one of the users who is facing this annoying error, then you can follow this guide and find different methods to solve this error.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons behind the Driver Error Code 32:
- 2 Methods to Fix the Driver Error Code 32:
Reasons behind the Driver Error Code 32:
Here’s a list of potential reasons that can produce the Driver Error Code 32.
- The driver is outdated or incompatible with your system.
- The driver has corrupted files.
- The start type for the Hardware’s driver has been disabled.
Methods to Fix the Driver Error Code 32:
Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall the drivers
To fix the Driver Error Code 32, you should uninstall the drivers because the error can happen from the corrupted drivers present on your computer. Follow these steps to uninstall the drivers.
- Press Windows key +R.
- In the Run box, type “devmgmt.msc” and click OK.
- Go to the Hardware category and find the device which is showing the error code 32.
- You have to right-click on the device to choose the Uninstall
- Tick the checkbox beside the Delete the driver software for this device
- Click on the Uninstall
Follow these steps to reinstall the drivers.
- Open the Device Manager
- Open the Action
- Click on the Scan for hardware changes.
- Wait for the device drivers re-installation to complete, then check for the error.
Method 2: Update the drivers
To solve the Driver error code 32, you should manually update the device drivers, which is showing error. Follow these steps to learn to update the drivers.
- Press Windows key + R.
- Now, type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- Once you are inside the device manager, find the device drivers who need updates.
- Right-click on the device and choose to update.
- You can also go to the device manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of drivers.
- After you install the updated version of drivers, restart your computer.
If the error persists, go to the next solution.
Method 3: Perform a system restore
The Driver error code 32 can happen due to new hardware or software changes. To fix the error, you should perform a system restore so that you can get rid of the issues that the new hardware or software program has caused to your system.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “rstrui” and hit Enter.
- Tick the checkbox besides Show more restore points option
- Then, click Next.
- You have to choose a restore point, and that restore point should be a date before installing any new software program on your computer.
- Click on the Scan for affected programs to see the names of the software programs that will get uninstalled.
- Choose Next and then click the Finish
Check for the error, and if the error continues to come, follow the next solution.
Method 4: Change the start type registry
There is a chance that the device driver’s start type has been disabled. That’s why it is showing the Driver error code 32. To fix this problem, you should open the registry and check if the driver’s start type in the registry is showing as 0x00000004, this means that the driver is disabled. The right start type differs from one device driver to another. So, it would be best if you changed the start type as per the device driver, which is showing the Driver error code 32 on your computer.
Method 5: Fixing the UpperFilters and LowerFilters string values
If none of the above-mentioned methods came into your use, follow the instructions and delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters string values using the registry editor.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Input “regedit” and press OK.
- Navigate to this registry path Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class
- Use the GUID registry subkey that agrees to the device driver, which is showing error. You can find the correct GUID subkey from Microsoft’s System-Defined Device Setup Classes page.
- You have to right-click on both UpperFilters and LowerFilters one by one and choose the Delete option
- After leaving the registry editor, reboot your system.
We have provided you with easy and simple methods to fix the Driver error code 32. Device Manager errors are common and have been reported by many users. So, do not worry. You are not the only one who is having this issue.
With the help from the methods given above, you will fix the Driver error code 32. You only need to follow the instructions, as mentioned in the guide. We hope this article was helpful. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.