Many Windows users have been complaining about an error that prevents them from upload, copy, or moves a large file to SharePoint or an external device. The error displays a message that says, “Error 0x800700df: The file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved.” Users are in stress because the error keeps coming back even if they have more than enough space on the destination drive.
Table of Contents
- 1 Solutions to Fix the File Size Exceeds the Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved Error:
- 1.1 Solution 1: Use the Registry Editor:
- 1.2 Solution 2: Scan your computer for malware:
- 1.3 Solution 3: Change the SharePoint Storage:
- 1.4 Solution 4: Change the File Size Upload Limit:
- 1.5 Solution 5: Check the SharePoint web.config file:
- 1.6 Solution 6: Change the machine-level request setting in SharePoint:
Solutions to Fix the File Size Exceeds the Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved Error:
These types of system errors can be very problematic. So, if you’re a Windows user dealing with the File Size Exceeds the Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved Error, don’t worry. We have some effective solutions for you that you can use to get rid of this error. Go through the solutions and see which one works for you.
Solution 1: Use the Registry Editor:
Your computer’s registry has a file that decides how much data can be modified at a time. It’s possible that the concerned registry file’s values have been corrupted. That’s why you keep encountering the error while copying a file on your computer. In order to fix this issue, you have to take the help of the registry editor. Here’s a quick guide for you.
- Press Windows key +R.
- You have to type “regedit” and press Enter.
- Note: Modifying your registry can be a risk. So, you can try to backup your registry before making any changes to it. For backup, click on the File option, then click “Export.” Enter a safe location where you want to back up the registry. Then, choose “All” in the Export range section and press the Save button. You can use this Exported file to restore every data if anything goes wrong.
- After entering the Registry Editor, on the left pane, go to the following location.
- On the right pane, find the “FileSizeLimitInBytes” DWORD and double-click on it.
- Then, in the Value data field, you have to enter 4294967295 and select OK to save the changes.
- By this procedure, you have modified the maximum file size to 4GB. Now, you can close the Registry Editor and restart your computer. See if the error comes up again.
Instead of restarting your computer, you can restart the WebClient service. Follow these steps given below.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “services.msc” and press OK.
- Inside the Services window, find the WebClient service and restart it.
- Now, close the Services window and check if the file size limit has been removed.
Solution 2: Scan your computer for malware:
As it turns out, the File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved error can also result from malware infection. So, we advise you to use a malware removal software and perform a detailed scan. A strong anti-malware program will thoroughly scan your device and get rid of the malware (if present). After that, you can check if the error is resolved.
Users have been reporting that the File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved error is associated with the files present in the SharePoint folder. To stop the error, we suggest you to configure the SharePoint storage settings. After changing the SharePoint storage limit, you could save any files without encountering the error.
Solution 4: Change the File Size Upload Limit:
If you keep coming across the File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved error while attempting to paste a file in the Microsoft SharePoint folder, then you need to change the file size limit. Follow the steps given below to change the maximum file size limit.
- First, sign in to SharePoint’s Central Admin.
- Select the Central Administration option.
- Go to Application Management tab and click on Manage Web Applications option.
- Now, you can choose the applications that you want to change.
- Then, select General Settings.
- In the General Settings section, you’ll find the Maximum upload size value.
- Modify the value to 2047 MB and save the changes.
- Check if the error comes up again.
Another way to resolve the File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved error is by changing the SharePoint web.config file. Follow the steps given below.
- Start by entering the Internet Information Server console on the server desktop.
- Then, click on the Websites tree and choose the desired website.
- Click on the Open in Explorer View option and find the web.config file in the folder.
- You should make a copy of the web.config file to use it as a backup if something goes wrong.
- Now, select the original web.config file with Notepad (you can choose any text editor).
- Then, in the Notepad text, find the <httpRuntime maxRequestLength=”51200″ /> line.
- You have to change the above line into <httpRuntime maxRequestLength=”204800″ />.
- Repeat the steps given above for every server in SharePoint.
- After the process is complete, check for the error.
As it turns out, the File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved error affects mostly the SharePoint users. So, here’s another solution that can come in use for the SharePoint users. Follow the steps given below.
- First, enter the SharePoint Administrative Command Prompt.
- Type the following command:
%windir%\system32\inetsrv appcmd set config -section:requestFiltering -requestLimits.maxAllowedContentLength:209715200
- After entering the command, you’ll receive a confirmation message.
- The command will increase the machine-level request settings in SharePoint and solve the error for you.
Your Windows computer sets a limit for files present within the system and the files that are transferred between the system and external hard drive. If the files exceed the limit, you will have to face the File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved error.
But to ease your worries, we have provided you with effective solutions to solve the error in no time. The steps are easy, and you can perform them without any help. We hope our solutions come in your use, and you become successful in resolving the error. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.