Chromebook Recovery Utility is a handy tool that helps to repair the Chromebook OS. This tool is used to recover devices running in Chrome OS and to create a backup of Chrome OS. However, lately, several users reported that the Chromebook Recovery Utility is not working, so they are not able to create a recovery drive using the same tool.
- How to Fix Chromebook Recovery Utility Not Working Issue?
- Solution 1: Download interrupted:
- Solution 2: Unable to Unzip file:
- Solution 3: Verification failed:
- Solution 4: An unexpected error has occurred
- Solution 5: Chrome OS does not contain in the device
- Solution 6: Please remove all connected devices and start recovery
- Solution 7: The security module on this device is not working
How to Fix Chromebook Recovery Utility Not Working Issue?
This issue is quite common, and it affects the users in various ways. Suffered users are getting different error messages regarding the ‘Chromebook Recovery Utility not working issue. There are several causes for the same errors, and in this article, we have gathered a few solutions to tackle different causes to trigger the Chromebook Recovery Utility not working issue. Let’s have a look.
Solution 1: Download interrupted:
An error occurred while trying to download the Chromebook Recovery Utility, which may be due to a Wi-Fi connection. The same problem usually occurs when you try to create a recovery drive. Here the best possible solution is to double click on it if you are connected or online. If this trick does not work, you need to disconnect and reconnect the network, switch to another network, either use your mobile hotspot or simply restart the PC and modem.
Solution 2: Unable to Unzip file:
When trying to create a USB recovery drive, you encountered the “Unable to Unzip File” error, and you can follow the solutions below to get rid of it.
- Ensure you have enough space: When the screen turns black, and the unzip process is incomplete, the Chromebook may not have enough space. Here you need to make sure that you have at least 8GB of space on your Chromebook to download the file; you need more space to download and unzip the file. The recommended capacity of the Chromebook is 16 GB, and the minimum capacity is 8 GB. Similarly, you must have at least 4GB of space on your SD or USB drive. Therefore, if you are using a 4GB USB or SD card, it is recommended to opt for an 8GB drive.
- Run the Chromebook Recovery Utility with Administrative access: When running on Windows, make sure that the Recovery Utility runs for the admin. When you run the tool, a prompt appears and asks for admin permission; click on Allow. In another way, you can also right-click on the Chrome Recovery Utility and select the option Run as administrator, then click on Allow to confirm the action.
- Reformat the Drive: Try reformatting the SD card or USB drive to troubleshoot the file that could not get unzipped.
- Wipe the Drive: Generally, the Chromebook Recovery Utility wipes the drive when creating recovery media. Thus sometimes viruses and malware appear on the drive and interrupt this procedure. So you need to make sure that no harmful media or files are loaded on the USB or SD.
Solution 3: Verification failed:
At times the “Chromebook Recovery Utility not working” issue can occur as a result of the verification failure. Here the best possible solution is formatting your SD card or USB drive. For doing so, follow these steps,
- Firstly, plug in the SD card or USB drive into your system. Once it appears on the screen, right-click on it.
- Then from the sub-menu, click on Format and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once the formatting process gets completed, again download and create Chromebook Recovery Utility.
- If you fail to create Chromebook Recovery Utility, then go to the Official website of Chromebook Recovery Utility and click on the Launch app option.
- From the top right corner of the screen, click on the Settings icon and choose Erase recovery media.
- In the next window, choose the Select the recovery media you’d like to erase and click on the Continue button.
- Now on the newly opened screen, click on the Erase Now button to continue the process.
- Once done, click on Create another option and select another recovery media.
Solution 4: An unexpected error has occurred
If the recovery drive is corrupted or fragmented, you might encounter the “An unexpected error has occurred” issue. In this scenario, you need to use another SD card or USB drive. Otherwise, connect the drive to another system and delete all the files in the drive. Then you can load another copy of Chrome OS and create the recovery media again.
Solution 5: Chrome OS does not contain in the device
If your device does not have Chrome OS, then also you will encounter the “Chromebook Recovery Utility not working” issue. This indicates the Chromebook cannot find the recovery image on the SD card or USB drive, or the Chrome OS is not installed on the inserted drive.
In your case, if the device does not have Chrome OS, then you need to erase the SD or USB drive on the Windows or Mac and again try the recovery process. Alternatively, you can connect the SD or USB drive with a Chrome OS installed to the device and then continue the procedure.
Solution 6: Please remove all connected devices and start recovery
Once you receive the “Please remove all connected device and start recovery” error, then you need to disconnect all the external devices, including SD card, USB drive, printer, mouse and keyboard, and external monitors. Afterward, again try the recovery process and check the said error message persists or not.
Solution 7: The security module on this device is not working
The error “The security module on this device does not working” indicates that you are using a borrowed Chromebook from the work surroundings or school. These Chromebooks will prevent you from enabling Power wash or Developer Mode, or Recovery Mode by default. To isolate this error, you need to contact the work or school network admin to unblock them.
At the end of this article, we hope any of the above solutions will definitely help you to resolve the “Chromebook Recovery Utility not working” issue for you. If you have any queries or feedback, leave a comment in the below comment box.