If you are the owner of the Nokia 7.2 or Nokia 6.2 and are looking for a method on how to unlock the bootloader then, you are at the right place. In this post, we will guide you on how to unlock bootloader on Nokia 7.2 and 6.2 via ADB Fastboot. Similar, to other smartphones, both the Nokia devices come with a locked bootloader. Moreover, the device runs on Android One, it is easy to unlock its bootloader. Both Nokia 7.2 and 6.2 smartphones are decent mid-range devices that were launched in September and October 2019, respectively.
If you are new to rooting, then you must understand that first, you need to unlock the bootloader of the device and then install a custom recovery like TWRP to root the device. Also, rooting allows the user to go ahead and install restricted apps, mod apps, install custom OS like Lineage OS, etc on the device. Note that the unlocking of the bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, it is better to allow the warranty period to get over and then unlock it. However, if you do not want to wait then, you can follow this guide on how to unlock bootloader on Nokia 7.2 and 6.2. So without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself:
The Nokia 7.2 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC processor which is paired with 4/6 GB of RAM. In the display department, it sports an IPS display of 6.3 inches with 1080 x 2280 pixel resolution. The Nokia 7.2 is available in options of 4GB/64GB, 6GB/64GB and 6GB/128GB of memory and storage. It runs on the Android 9 Pie out of the box. Note that there is a dedicated memory card slot on this device.
In the camera section, it has a triple camera setup that houses 48MP+8MP+5 MP lens which comprises of a wide, depth sensor, and an ultra-wide sensor, respectively. For selfies, there is a single 20 MP camera. The device is has a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner. Also, this phone comes with a massive non-removable Li-Po 3500 mAh battery and supports battery charging 10W.
The Nokia 6.2 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 SoC processor which is paired with 3/4 GB of RAM. In the display department, it sports an IPS display of 6.3 inches with 1080 x 2280 pixel resolution. The Nokia 6.2 is available in options of 3GB/32GB, 4GB/64GB, and 4GB/128GB of memory and storage. It runs on the Android 9 Pie out of the box. Note that there is a dedicated memory card slot on this device.
In the camera section, it has a triple camera setup that houses 16MP+8MP+5 MP lens which comprises of a wide, depth sensor, and an ultra-wide sensor, respectively. For selfies, there is a single 8 MP camera. The device is has a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner. Also, this phone comes with a massive non-removable Li-Po 3500 mAh battery and supports battery charging 10W.
How To Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 7.2 and 6.2
Before we begin the unlocking of the bootloader on Nokia 7.2 and 6.2, let us take a deep look at what is a bootloader and what advantages or disadvantages you get, once you unlock it;
What is Bootloader?
A bootloader is a program that is the first thing that boots up in your device whenever you turn ON your device. It commands the device to run the appropriate programs in order to run smoothly and provide better performance. Moreover, the bootloader is stored away from the reach of the user and is stored at a stable memory so that the user could not hamper the files. However, there are methods and ways via which you can safely unlock the bootloader of the device and go ahead with flashing a custom recovery to root your device. But, you should make sure to follow a reliable guide and follow the steps correctly in order to avoid any permanent damage to your phone.
- You can install any custom ROM like Lineage OS, Resurrection ROM, etc.
- You can also root your device.
- Install a custom recovery like TWRP.
- After unlocking the bootloader, it voids the warranty of your device.
- You will no longer receive the official OTA updates.
- You can brick your device if you do not follow the steps carefully.
- To Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 7.2 and 6.2 smartphones, you need a laptop or PC.
- Make sure to keep your device battery charged up to 50% at least for a smoother process.
- It is highly recommended you to take a complete backup of your device’s internal data. All of your device data will delete.
- You need a USB cable to connect your device with PC.
Steps To Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 7.2 and 6.2 via ADB Fastboot
- First of all, you need to enable the Developer Options on your Nokia 7.2 and 6.2.
- Go to Settings>>About Phone>>tap on the Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Under the Developer Options, you need to enable OEM Unlocking option as well.
- To do that again head to the Settings>>Developer Options>>enable OEM Unlocking.
- Now, download the platform-tools (ADB and Fastboot tools) from the download section above and extract it.
- Turn off your phone and connect it to your PC via a USB cable.
- Now press and hold Power + Volume Down keys together to enter Fastboot mode.
- Open the CMD or command prompt by pressing the Shift + Right-click combination on the same folder where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot Tools.
- Type in the below commands in the CMD and press Enter;
- The above command will show you the list of devices connected to the PC. In case your device’s serial number is not listed, then you need to reinstall the USB drivers and retry again.
- Now, if the phone is listed, type the below command to proceed;
fastboot flashing unlock
- You will get a confirmation prompt on your screen.
- Navigate to Unlock the bootloader option via Volume keys.
- Finally, press the Power key to confirm to unlock the bootloader.
The process does not end here. You also need to unlock critical partitions on your device. This is very important because most of the modifications will not work without these resulting in a bricked device. Head over to the below section to learn how to unlock critical partitions on your Nokia 7.2 and 6.2.
Steps to unlock critical partitions.
- Turn OFF your Nokia device.
- Boot into the Fastboot mode.
- Connect your device to the PC via a USB cable.
- Enter the below command to unlock the critical partition:
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- You will get a confirmation prompt on your device’s screen.
- Navigate via the Volume Keys to choose “Unlock the Bootloader” option and select using the Power keys.
- Note that all the data on your device will be wiped off.
- Once the device boots up, setup your device.
- That’s it!
Keep in mind, your bootloader will remain unlocked even if HMD global pushes a maintainence update for blocking the OEM unlocking option.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you guys liked this post and were able to successfully unlock the bootloader on the Nokia 7.2 and 6.2 devices. Follow all the instructions mentioned above in order to avoid any problems while unlocking the bootloader on your Nokia device. Let us know in the comments below if you come across any issues. Until the next post…Cheers!