Huawei Mate 20 smartphone was launched back in November 2018 as a flagship one. The handset came with Android 9.0 Pie over EMUI 9.1 and currently, the company has started pushing the Android 10 update. It brings all the Android 10 goodies including some of the EMUI 10 specific features. As the EMUI 10 beta program has been announced for the Huawei Mate 20 model, you can download and install the Huawei Mate 20 Android 10 update with EMUI 10.
All the interested Huawei Mate 20 users should receive the OTA update those who’re using the EMUI 9.1 stable version. However, the OTA update may take a couple of days or more in order to receive the update notification globally. Meanwhile, we will recommend you check for the OTA update manually by following the below steps. If in case, you’re not getting the update, then follow the below guide to flash the firmware.
EMUI 10 Update
Huawei has announced the latest EMUI 10 custom skin based on Android 10 at Huawei’s developer conference. The new version of custom skin already surfaced on new refreshed Huawei P30 Pro device variants at IFA last week. The company has revealed the update timeline for its devices which will receive the Android 10 stable version. The EMUI 10 is currently available in the beta version.
As the latest Android version is the 10th generation of Google’s Android OS and it brings a bunch of new features and system improvements as well. Therefore, the Android 10 based EMUI 10 custom skin will also get all the core features.
- 3D Touch: It gives a super smooth touch effect with animation. It feels so fast and responsive than a normal touch pressure effect.
- Live Caption: The Live Caption brings real-time automatic captions to media on your device. It will provide live captions for the videos, podcasts, and audio messages, apps, etc. It works offline too.
- System-Wide Dark Mode: The dark mode saves battery juice a lot and reduces eye strain during night time.
- The swipe gesture navigation control offers more improved functionalities in Android 10.
- App Drawer: The new app drawer seems just like a Pixel Launcher. The drawer opens like a swipe up from the home screen.
- New Stock Camera UI: The stock EMUI camera app UI has been tweaked a little bit. The slider between the camera shutter button and modes text appears as a red dot this time.
- Notification and Quick Settings Toggle: The latest upcoming EMUI version will allow users to choose and set notification controls. It offers a quick shortcut toggle.
- New Transition Animation: Huawei has introduced the new transition animation style for the swipe to go home gesture.
- Privacy and Security: It enables system security, app permission control, location control, and more.
- Bubbles: Bubbles feature is a new feature in Android Q which looks and works like Facebook Messenger.
- Desktop Mode: Android Q in EMUI 10 will feature desktop mode to connect your device easily to the monitor.
Additionally, you can check more EMUI 10 features and supported device list.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy, and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Check Software Update Manually
In order to check the latest software update on your Huawei Mate 20 device, head over to the Settings -> System -> Software update -> Check for Updates. If an update is available, it will show you the prompt to download it.
Proceed and install the update but the update file size will be around more than 4.5GB. Therefore, ensure that your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network and have battery juice more than 60% minimum.
However, some of the Huawei Mate 20 users recently reported that they have received the EMUI 10 based on the Android 10 OTA update via Huawei’s HiCare app.
Open the Huawei’s HiCare app > tap on Update > Check for updates. Make sure to take a complete backup before doing the update process.
Steps to Install EMUI 10 on Huawei Mate 20
If your Huawei Mate 20 handset doesn’t receive any OTA update yet, then you can manually install the EMUI 10 firmware update file on your device. Let’s take a look at the requirements and downloads below.
- This firmware file is supported by the Huawei Mate 20 model only.
- A PC/Laptop and USB cable are required.
- Taking a full Data Backup of your device is recommended.
- Make sure that your device is charged more than 60% at least.
GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any internal/external damages to the device that may happen while/after following this guide. This version is designed for you to experience new software features in advance, thus giving us feedback for further software improvement. Below are known issues with this version that may affect your daily use. Do not install this update if you frequently use the apps or features concerned.
1. Some banking apps are not compatible with Android 10. This issue can be resolved only after compatible app versions are released.
2. Some instant messaging apps are not compatible with Android 10 and may encounter issues when sending images. Restart the app to fix this issue.
3. The silent mode will be enabled by default for notifications from instant messaging apps if you disabled sound and vibration alerts for them before installing this update. The alert mode can be modified in the app settings according to your preferences.
4. For apps with the App twin feature enabled, this update might allow the twin app to read Messaging content. Disable and re-enable the App twin feature to fix the issue.
5. The screen might flicker in certain situations when playing PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG). Set a non-HDR resolution or restart the game to fix the issue.
6. Samsung watches might automatically disconnect from your phone after a certain period. This issue will be resolved in a later version.
7. 30x zooming by pinching out with two fingers might occasionally fail. Drag the zoom slider or restart Camera to fix this issue.
Instructions to Install
After following all the requirements and downloads, you can now follow the firmware installation process on your Huawei Mate 20.
There are plenty of Huawei device models that will receive the EMUI 10 update in the coming few months in a phased manner and it will take some time. Whereas, a couple of Honor devices will also receive the Magic UI 3.0 update based on Android 10 very soon.
We hope you’ve found this article useful. If you’ve any queries, you can comment down below.