Huawei launched two Android devices, the Huawei Y7 and Huawei Y7 Prime in its budget series of Android phones between May and June in 2017. Actually, both smartphones are the same but are named differently for different markets. In this article, I'll show you how to install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Y7 and Y7 Prime and root them with SuperSU.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Y7 and Y7 Prime (Root Using SuperSU)
Installing TWRP Recovery on and rooting the Huawei Y7 and Y7 Prime has been made possible by XDA Developer Forums member astusal who provided the necessary files and steps to carry out the tweak in his post.
TWRP Recovery is one of the most widely-used custom recoveries for Android smartphones, and since a custom recovery is required to carry out many advanced tweaks on Android devices, you're better off using TWRP Recovery on your Huawei Y7 and Y7 Prime. To even extend your customizing power over your Android phone, you need root access, and I'll show you how to do these two things in this guide.
What You Need - Downloads and Requirements
- Backup. The processes described in this guide won't erase your device data, but it's better to perform a backup in case anything goes wrong. Here are some guides to help you out:
- Unlock your bootloader.
- Install fastboot on your PC.
- Files RAR Package.
This tweak has been tested and confirmed to be working on the following Huawei Y7 and Y7 Prime models:
Other models of the Huawei Y7 and Y7 Prime that haven't been tested include:
- TRT-L03; and
NOTE: On some devices, the touchscreen doesn't work in TWRP Recovery. In this case, you can navigate through the menus with the use of a mouse via USB OTG.
Install TWRP Recovery
- Extract the files downloaded above on your PC.
- Boot into fastboot by turning off the phone and connecting it to your PC while holding the down volume button.
- Launch the MAF32.exe file and run the command
fastboot flash recovery TRT-TWRP-3.1.1-0818.img
- You now have TWRP Recovery installed on your Huawei Y7. Disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Boot to TWRP Recovery mode by switching off the device and holding the power and volume up buttons together for some seconds.
- To change the interface language to English, tap on the button at the right side and select the second option. Then swipe to the right to confirm the language modification.
- On TWRP main menu, select Advanced.
- Click root and swipe to confirm.
- Reboot the phone and start enjoying root access. If the phone doesn't start working straight away, keep rebooting it until it does.
- Go to your phone Settings >> Application manager >> SuperSU and grant all permissions.