Pokémon Scarlet and Violet was released in November 2022 for the Nintendo Switch, and it remains the newest game in the Pokemon franchise. In the vast open world of Paldea, players can catch a wide variety of Pokemon, both old and new. There are over 400 Pokemon to catch and train while you progress through the game’s missions.
As you build up your collection of Pokemon, you will also notice that you can get some special Pokemon called Shiny Pokemon. These are rarer as they can be found in fewer numbers, and some take it up as a challenge to catch these Pokemon. This is known as Shiny Hunting. There are a lot of methods to go about this, and one of them is the Isolated Encounter Method. Let’s find out what it is all about and how to use it to Shiny hunt in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Shiny Hunting: Isolated Encounter Method Guide
Shiny Hunting can be a challenging task for many, even dedicated players, as it needs a lot of time and effort. There is a 1 in 4096 chance of a regular Pokemon being Shiny, which means that the odds are quite slim. And if you intend to catch all Shiny Pokemon available in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, you’ll have your work cut out for you.
Thankfully, there is plenty of help that you will find along the way. In Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, you have some methods that you can employ to make your Shiny Hunting journey easier. These can be in the form of Shiny Charms or making sandwich boosts, Outbreaks or Encounter Powers. One of the methods is called Isolated Encounter Method, and that’s what this guide is about.
What is the Isolated Encounter Method?
You can use this method early in the game after unlocking several things. This means that you don’t need to finish the entire main story to begin getting a lot of Shiny Pokemon. All you need to do is make some Sandwiches. During a picnic, when you make sandwiches to select the type of Pokemon you want to see, you limit the spawns in that area to very few Pokemon. This way, you isolate several Pokemon and can encounter many in 30 minutes, thus ensuring at least one Shiny Pokemon.
With the right Sandwiches in the right place, you can guarantee yourself some Shinies at every attempt. This method can be made easier by pairing it with Pokemon Encounters, where you cluster species together in a specific area for capturing them.
Setting It Up
Before using the Isolated Encounter Method, you will need to know a few things about the game. The first is where to find different types of Pokemon on the map of Paldea, especially those you want to capture. Some places spawn only one Pokemon from a certain Type, and you need to be familiar with them.
Next, you need to know what Sandwiches are used for different types of Pokemon and their recipes. In other words, you will need to know how to make all the Shiny Sandwiches in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. These will greatly boost your skills at Shiny Hunting. You also need ingredients for making these Sandwiches, so you must have explored a lot of the map or have a lot of Poke Dollars to buy them from the in-game shops.
Herba Mystica is the main ingredient you need to make those Shiny Sandwiches that will boost your chances of finding shiny Pokemon of a specific type. You can find them with Arven throughout the game and in Tera Raid battles of at least 5-stars. Before you begin the Isolated Encounter Method, take stock of all the ingredients you own.
You should be familiar with your Shiny Sandwiches, which is why we have a list for you. Depending on your sandwich, only that specific Pokemon type will spawn around you. This will ensure that the game only spawns the type of Pokemon you want. In turn, a Shiny Pokemon is a lot more likely to emerge.
Here are all the recipes for making Shiny Sandwiches for a specific type of Pokemon:
- Bug: 1 Cherry Tomato, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Dark: 1 Smoked Fillet, 1 Salty Herba Mystica, 1 Sweet Herba Mystica
- Dragon: 1 Avocado, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Electric: 1 Yellow Banana Pepper, 1 Salty Herba Mystica, 1 Spicy Herba Mystica
- Fairy: 1 Tomato, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Fighting: 1 Pickles, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Fire: 1 Basil, 1 Salty Herba Mystica, 1 Sweet Herba Mystica
- Flying: 1 Prosciutto, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Ghost: 1 Red Onion, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Grass: 1 Lettuce, 1 Salty Herba Mystica, 1 Sour Herba Mystica
- Ground: 1 Ham, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Ice: 1 Klawf Stick, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Normal: 1 Chorizo, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Poison: 1 Noodles, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Psychic: 1 Onion, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Rock: 1 Jalapeño, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
- Steel: 1 Hamburger, 1 Salty Herba Mystica, 1 Sweet Herba Mystica
- Water: 1 Cucumber, 2 Salty Herba Mystica
How to Use the Isolated Encounter Method
Make sure your auto-save is off. This is a crucial step you should not miss, as you will lose a lot of ingredients otherwise. Without the auto-save function, you can reset the game in case of an unsuccessful hunt and get your ingredients back.
Select the area you want to search for Pokemon in, ideally somewhere where you can isolate a single Pokemon. Once you have decided, set up a picnic and make a sandwich in Creative Mode. You can activate the creative mode by clicking on X.
Once you have made the Sandwich, the hunt will begin. Wait for the Pokemon to spawn around you in large numbers. If you can see a Shiny, you need to save the game. You can always load your save if you have issues catching the Pokemon.
However, you can reset the picnic if you don’t see a Shiny even after running around the place. Pack it up to reset it, and it will reload the Pokemon in the area. It allows you to farm Shiny Pokemon even faster.
The Isolated Encounter Method is great for players who want to make the tedious process of catching Shiny Pokemon a little easier. By eliminating many Pokemon that can appear in a certain area, this method helps you become the best Shiny hunter in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
Tips: What to Catch?
If you’re having trouble figuring out where to start, YouTuber cbk zip has created a list of all of the Shiny Pokemon that can be found with the Isolated Encounter Method. You can start by trying to catch these Shiny Pokemon:
- Espeon is the only Psychic Type Pokemon that can appear in the grass near the Fairy-type Team Star base.
- Lycanroc is the only Rock Type Pokemon that can appear near the Psychic Gym.
- Larvesta and Volcarona are the only Bug/Fire Type Pokemon that can appear in the Asado Desert.
- Girafarig is the only Psychic Type Pokemon that can appear along a trail that takes trainers from Porto Marinada to Lake Casseroya.
- Shiny Mankey is the only Fighting Type Pokemon that can appear at the edge of the map in West Province Area One.