NordVPN is a powerful software that lets you connect with the servers of various countries, allowing you to see the local internet of that particular country you want. It’s one of the powerful VPN tools with millions of users. With NordVPN, users can easily access security and privacy DNS features in the NordVPN. It also prevents third-party softwares. However, most users complained that their NordVPN is not connecting on their iPhone, iPad or Mac devices. This can be frustrating especially when you try to access for your purpose and it won’t connect at the same time.
If you are trying to connect NordVPN on your iPhone, iPad or Mac devices and it won’t connect, don’t worry, you are not alone. In this guide, we will provide several effective solutions that you can take to troubleshoot it by applying those solutions. We will also discuss the common reasons why the NordVPN is not connecting on your device. By following the fixes carefully, you can easily get back to NordVPN. So, without further ado, let’s get right into it.
- Why is NordVPN Not Connecting on iPhone, iPad, or Mac Devices?
- How to Fix NordVPN Not Connecting on iPhone, iPad or Mac
- Fix 1: Check Your Internet Connection
- Fix 2: Check NordVPN Account Status
- Fix 3: Force Close the VPN and Re-Open it
- Fix 4: Toggle Airplane Mode
- Fix 5: Restart Your Device
- Fix 6: Delete the VPN Profile and Add it Back
- Fix 7: Change the VPN Protocol
- Fix 8: Update the VPN App
- Fix 9: Turn Off Private Wi-Fi Address
- Fix 10: Reset NordVPN Preferences (Mac)
- Fix 11: Change DNS Inside the VPN App
- Fix 12: Reset Network Settings
- Fix 13: Reinstall the NordVPN
- Fix 14: Contact Support Team
- Fix 15: Try Using Another VPN
- Wrapping Up
Why is NordVPN Not Connecting on iPhone, iPad, or Mac Devices?
Before we start, let’s talk about the causes of why NordVPN isn’t connecting on iPad, iPhone or Mac. Various factors impede connecting the NordVPN to the device. Most of the time, NordVPN is not connected due to an unstable or improper internet connection. The NordVPN works over an internet connection and requires a strong network. Therefore, it’s probable that an unreliable Wi-Fi or cellular connection is to blame for the inability to connect to NordVPN on your device.
Talking about the other common reasons is an outdated NordVPN app. Most of the time, the outdated app version can cause several issues, including the NordVPN and the system software. In addition, the bugs and software glitches are included as well, and in most cases the software issues are the main reasons behind the issue. It is also possible that due to overzealous firewall or antivirus software, you are unable to access NordVPN on your device.
Moreover, it’s possible your subscription plan ended and didn’t automatically renew, and that’s why you are no longer able to connect NordVPN on your device. So, these were some of the common reasons why the NordVPN is not connecting on your device. However, there may also be a chance that there’s a problem with the server that is causing the issue with NordVPN. Now, it’s time to focus on the solutions we have mentioned below.
How to Fix NordVPN Not Connecting on iPhone, iPad or Mac
Try these below troubleshooting if you are unable to connect NordVPN on your iPad, iPhone or Mac. Make sure to pay attention to each and every solution we have listed below. Ensure to check the problem after trying each solution to know which one’s did the trick.
Fix 1: Check Your Internet Connection
The installed VPN (Virtual Private Network) on your device can only connect to its server when you are connected with a stable internet connection on your device. Therefore, the first thing you need to do is check your internet connection. Make sure you are connected with a strong connection on your device.
If you are using NordVPN on your Mac, ensure you are connected with a reliable Wi-Fi network. You can also switch to a different Wi-Fi network to check if it’s providing a strong connection. Once cellular network or Wi-Fi works on your device, you can route your web traffic via a VPN.
Fix 2: Check NordVPN Account Status
The next thing you have to do is check your NordVPN account status on your device. Usually, the VPN connection won’t be established if the NordVPN subscription has expired. Luckily, the app should notify you if your premium status hasn’t been renewed. Plus, you should double-check your account credentials, if you configured NordVPN on a router. Here’s how you can check the NordVPN account status:
- Head over to the NordVPN account page.
- Log-in with your correct credentials.
- Once you log in, ensure to check the status of your account.
- If the Active button is showing, you can proceed to the next solution.
In case if the NordVPN account isn’t active, you should contact the NordVPN support or ensure that your subscription is renewed.
Fix 3: Force Close the VPN and Re-Open it
To test if the VPN app is functioning, you may also attempt to force close it and then reopen it on your device. Most of the time, the NordVPN is not connected due to bugs and conflicts. To force close the VPN and reopen it, swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone or iPad screen or double press the Home button to enter the App switcher. Now drag the VPN app tile all the way up to force close it. After that, reopen the VPN and try connecting the VPN.
If you are unable to connect NordVPN on your Mac, then close the application and remove it from the recent bar. After that, reopen the NordVPN and try connecting to check if the issue has been resolved. If the issue persists, try the next solution.
Fix 4: Toggle Airplane Mode
You can also try to toggle Airplane Mode on your iPad, iPhone or Mac device. Head over to the iOS & Mac Control Center or the Settings and turn on Airplane Mode. After a moment, turn off the Airplane Mode and try connecting with the NordVPN. By applying this method, it will disable all wireless protocols like cellular data and Wi-Fi and refresh the network connection.
Fix 5: Restart Your Device
The other foremost solution is to restart your device if you are unable to connect to NordVPN. Restarting the device is one of the most workable methods of all time. It might be possible that software conflicts and glitches are the reasons, preventing the NordVPN from being connected.
Therefore, it is considered to perform a restart on your iPhone, iPad or Mac device. By restarting the device, you can easily fix the problem and you will be able to connect the NordVPN on your device. Once done, try checking if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 6: Delete the VPN Profile and Add it Back
You can also try to delete the VPN profile and add it back to check if it’s working. This is one of the most workable methods, so you should give it a try. Here’s how you can do it.
For iPhone & iPad:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Navigate to General > VPN & Device Management > VPN.
- Tap ⓘ next to the added VPN profile.
- Tap Delete VPN and confirm it to proceed.
- Next, open the VPN app and tap its connect button. Now you will see an alert to add the VPN profile.
- Tap Allow, followed by your iPhone, iPad passcode or Touch ID.
- Head over to the System Preferences and select Profiles.
- Delete the VPN profile and enter the user password if asked.
- Next, go to Network Connections.
- If you see any connections on the screen, ensure to delete them.
- Once you have deleted the VPN profile, head over to NordVPN and connect it, followed by your Mac passcode.
Once you have deleted the VPN profile and added it back, then try connecting the VPN again on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac device. If the issue persists, try the next solution.
Fix 7: Change the VPN Protocol
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) protocol is responsible for how the data is routed from your device to the VPN servers. Typically, a VPN supports multiple protocols at a time. If you are unable to connect to VPN on your device, make sure to change the VPN protocol. Open the NordVPN app on your device and head over to settings. Tap the protocol button and select another option.
Once you have changed the VPN protocol on your device, try connecting to the VPN and check whether the issue has been fixed or not. If it doesn’t work, set the VPN as default protocol and then try the next solution.
Fix 8: Update the VPN App
An outdated NordVPN version can cause several issues including the VPN not connecting and so on. Therefore, if you are having an issue with NordVPN, you should make sure to check the update on your device. Updating the VPN app to the latest version can fix several issues and you will be able to connect your NordVPN again. Here’s how you can update it on your iPad, iPhone, or Mac devices.
For iPhone & iPad:
- Head over to the App Store on the iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the Profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Scroll to see pending updates.
- Look for the NordVPN from the list of pending updates.
- Tap the Update button to start the update process.
- Once the update is finished, try connecting the NordVPN again.
- Head over to the App Store on your Mac.
- In the left-side panel, click on Updates.
- Now you will see the list of pending updates.
- Look for the NordVPN and click Update to start.
- Once finished, try connecting the NordVPN and check the issue has been fixed.
Fix 9: Turn Off Private Wi-Fi Address
The majority of users found that disabling private Wi-Fi addresses on their iPhone or iPad devices solved the issue. So, if you are unable to connect to a VPN on your device, don’t worry. You can easily fix the problem by simply disabling the private Wi-Fi address on your iPhone, iPad. Here’s how to do it.
For iPhone & iPad:
- Head over to the Settings app on the iPhone or iPad.
- Select Wi-Fi and tap ⓘ next to the connected Wi-Fi network.
- Next, turn off Private Wi-Fi Address and confirm it by tapping Continue.
Once you have turned off the Private Wi-Fi Address on your iPhone or iPad, try to connect to a VPN and see if the issue has been resolved. If it doesn’t work, restart your device and try again. In case the issue persists, then re-enable the Private Wi-Fi Address and try the next solution.
Fix 10: Reset NordVPN Preferences (Mac)
There is possible that there’s an issue with the NordVPN preferences itself, causing the issue with NordVPN. In such a case, you should try to reset the NordVPN preferences on your Mac. Here’s how to do it.
- Right-click NordVPN in the Dock and select Quit.
- Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
- Launch the Terminal and run the following commands:
defaults delete com.nordvpn.osx-apple
defaults delete com.nordvpn.osx
After running these commands on your Mac, launch NordVPN and connect it to check if the issue has been resolved or not. If the issue persists, try the next solution.
Fix 11: Change DNS Inside the VPN App
If you have tried the above workarounds and it doesn’t work, it’s time to change DNS inside the NordVPN app you are using on your device. Most of the time, the current DNS you have set isn’t working anymore and need to be changed in order to access it. In addition, almost every VPN apps will let you allow an option to change the DNS.
For instance, you can easily replace the existing DNS address with that of Cloudflarw (126.96.36.199), Google (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206), etc. Therefore, it is suggested you to change the DNS address on your device and try checking if the issue has been fixed or not. If the issue persists, try the next solution.
Fix 12: Reset Network Settings
You can also try to reset network settings on your iPhone or iPad device. Simply head over to iPhone Settings and navigate to General. Scroll to Transfer or Reset iPhone> Reset and tap Reset Network Settings from the list. Once you have done this method, launch NordVPN on your iPhone or iPad device and try connecting it to VPN. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed on your device.
Fix 13: Reinstall the NordVPN
If you have tried the above solutions and it fails to work, you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the NordVPN on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac devices. It is possible that there’s an issue with the NordVPN installation package on your device. In such a case, this method will surely fix the problem. Here’s how you can do it.
For iPhone & iPad:
- Head over to App section or Home screen on your device.
- Uninstall the NordVPN app by tapping on delete option.
- Once NordVPN is successfully uninstalled, it’s time to install it.
- Launch App Store and search for NordVPN.
- Select the NordVPN app and tap Get button.
- Once downloaded is finished, open NordVPN and try connecting it to VPN.
- Find the NordVPN app and click and hold it until it starts giggling.
- You will see the x little button at the top of app, simply click on it and tap Delete.
- You can also delete the app by dragging into the dust bin at the bottom.
- Once NordVPN is successfully uninstalled, install it.
- To install, open App Store on your Mac.
- Search for NordVPN in the search bar.
- Click the Get or Download button.
Once NordVPN is successfully installed on your Mac, then try to launch it and connect to VPN to check if the issue has been fixed.
Fix 14: Contact Support Team
If none of the above workarounds helps you to fix the “NordVPN not connecting” issue on your iPhone, iPad or Mac devices, you should contact NordVPN customer care for further help. The NordVPN chat support is 24/7 active, so you can easily connect with them. Try contacting them and tell them your issue. They will help you for sure.
Fix 15: Try Using Another VPN
You can also try using another VPN, if you are unable to connect with NordVPN on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac devices. There are a number of VPNs available in the social platforms like ExpressVPN, Surf Shark, CyberGhost, PrivateVPN, Hotspot Shield, and much more. You should give it a try if NordVPN isn’t working on your device.
NordVPN is one of the most popular VPN (Virtual Private Network) services that are easy to access for every user. It offers a secure and private browsing experience, but there are times when connectivity issues can arise on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. But don’t fret, we have listed some effective solutions in this guide, you should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue preventing NordVPN from connecting.
Ensure to remember that technology can be finicky, but with a bit of patience and with these troubleshooting tips, you can get back to enjoying a safe and private online experience. We hope that this guide helped you. Having any queries? Then let us know in the comments section.