In this tutorial, we will show you how to remove Cortana from your Windows 10 PC or laptop. Cortana is Microsoft’s reply to Apple’s Siri, Google’s Assistant, and Amazon’s Alexa. While it is incorporated in Windows 10 OS, its usefulness is up for debate. Whether it has reached that level of popularity is still to be seen. However, as of now, it seems not everyone is a fan of Cortana. There could be many reasons for the same. To being with, it doesn’t give the same level of flexibility, i.e you will be forced to use the Microsoft Edge browser and Bing as the search engine. So if you are using Google as the search engine or browse the web via any other browser, then it might not be a fruitful as you wished.
Furthermore, the Cortana’s search bar also ends up taking a considerable chunk of the taskbar space. All this adds up to not so pleasant user experience. Earlier there was a toggle to disable and remove Cortana from Windows 10. However, with the Anniversary update, Microsoft removed this option. But even then, there exists a handy method through which you could remove Cortana from Windows 10. The steps might feel a little bit daunting, but the result is worth appreciating. Follow along.
Table of Contents
How to Remove Cortana From Windows 10
We will be sharing two different methods for the same. The first one will be for the users having the Windows Home Edition. The second method will be for the Professional or Enterprise Editon user. Although the second method is easy, it isn’t applicable to the Home edition users. So please stick with the method for your respective OS edition.
Remove Cortana From Windows 10 using Registry Editor (Windows Home)
For Windows Home users, they could remove Cortana using Registry Editor. Dealing with Registry Editor is always a risky task. Hence it is recommended to proceed with caution. GetDroidTips or any of its members won’t be held responsible in case anything happens to your PC. With that said, here are the required steps:
- Bring up the Run dialog box using the Windows+R shortcut key combination.
- Type in regedit and hit Enter. This will open Registry Editor.
- Enter the following location in the Registry Editor address bar situated at the top:
- Under the Windows section, you will have to create a new folder. Right-click on it and select New > Key. Name it Windows Search.
- Now right-click on the newly created Windows Search key and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it AllowCortana and enter 0 in the Value Data field. Hit OK to save it.
- Finally, restart your PC for the changes to take place. That’s it. You have successfully removed Cortana from Windows 10. If at any point in time, you wish to re-enable it, just change the Allow Cortana value from 0 to 1. With that said, here is how you could remove Cortana from Professional or Enterprise Edition.
Using Group Policy (Enterprise Users)
If you are having a Professional or Enterprise edition, then the process might be a little bit easier. You wouldn’t even need to take the route of Registry Editor. The entire process will be carried out via the GPE, or Group Policy Editor. Let’s begin
- Launch the Run dialog box using the Windows+R shortcut key combination.
- Enter gpedit.msc in the box and hit Enter. This will open the Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to the following location: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Scroll to the Allow Cortana file and double-click to open it.
- Select Disabled from the left-hand side and hit Apply > OK.
- Finally, restart your PC. The changes will take place accordingly. Furthermore, if there’s a change in the plan you could re-enable it quite easily. Just select Enabled from the Allow Cortana file under GPE and that is it.
So with this, we conclude the guide on how to remove Cortana from Windows 10. We have listed two different approaches to the same. The first one is for the Home Edition users whereas the second one belongs to the Enterprise. While the Enterprise users could try out the Home method, the reverse isn’t true. If you end up with any queries, do let us know in the comments section. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.