Skype plays a significant role in the lives of those who have to handle their official meetings and seminars via Skype. But, when it comes to installing the update, some Windows users complain that they have been unable to do so. Also, they face an error code 666 or 667 when they try to update Windows for flawless use of Skype. It mostly happens to the Windows 7 users.
Sometimes, the error occurs because of corrupted files present in the system or when there is an unexpected shutdown. With this, if your AV scan ended up closing files that belong to the Windows Update component. If the same scenario is happening with you as well, then you can opt for the following proven methods to resolve your issue.
Do the SFC and DISM scans.
If you are witnessing the error code 666 or 667 while installing an update for Skype, it means you cannot install Skype KB2876229 anymore. In this case, the primary cause behind the issue is the presence of corrupt files in your system, which is toxic for your other data as well. Therefore, it becomes quite essential for you to handle this issue aptly. Here, a wise technician will always suggest going for DISM and SFC scans as these are auto built programs in your PC. These scans can delete all the corrupt files there and then without any manual setting.
Although the core operations of both DISM and SFC are identical to each other, when we go by the recommendations of technology experts, the altogether performance of both is highly effective. Before opting for this path, you must scroll down to gather all the essential information about the same.
- System File Checker (SFC)is a Microsoft Windows utility that allows the users to scan their device along with restoring the whole corruption matter present in system files.
- Deployment and Image Servicing and Deployment (DISM) can be known as the protector or updated version of SFC. It is a command-line tool that endows the users with scanning and restoration of all the corrupt files. It works to remove the hindrances coming in the work performance of SFC. So, if your SFC has some corruption, then you can use DISM to save SFC.
Now comes in the procedure that you need to follow for successful scanning of your device.
- Open the Command Prompt in your PC and then Run as Administrator.
- You will see a UAC (User Account Control) prompt where you need to click Yes.
- Now, you need to type SFC/scannow and then press Enter.
- After the completion of the scanning procedure, you need to restart your computer.
- Then, your system will boot back up.
- Open the Command Prompt again and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Check health.
- Typing this and then pressing Enter will begin the DISM scan.
- Restart your computer once again, and then you can install Skype
According to most of the results, you will get the resolution to your problem. In case the problem persists, you can try the following method.
Do Manual Installation of Skype’s latest version
As Microsoft powers both Skype and Windows, the Skype updates generally rely on the updates of the Windows version. However, if you want to experience flawless use of Skype, you can also install Skype’s latest update yourself too-manually.
Though the KB2876229 update of Skype has been causing issues to a plethora of users, especially those who use Windows 7 PC, yet manual installation is quite a practical option. In this method, one needs to uninstall the existing version of Skype from the PC and then download the latest version from the official website of the company.
When the Windows get the information regarding your latest install, it can stop running the pending update of Skype as nothing will be left to update then.
If you want the same procedure, you can check the following guide.
- Close the Skype application present in your PC and all the background processes, for instance.
- Tap Windows key + R, which will open the Run dialogue box.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the search tab, and now press Enter, which will assist you in opening Programs and Featuresincluding the list of all installed programs.
- On the right hand of this menu, you can get the List view of the programs available where you can look for Skype.
- Now, right-click on Skype and select Uninstall from the menu options. It will open the uninstallation screen there and then.
- In this screen, you can follow the prompts according to your requirements.
- Restart your computer when the Skype uninstallation process completes.
- Now, open the official website of Microsoft, where you can get the latest version of Skype. Choose Skype for Desktop or Skype for Windows according to options available.
- Download the file and install the same and then restart your computer.
- Now, you need to click on Windows key + Rto get Run dialogue box again.
- Type wuapp in the search box and press Enter, it will open the Windows update component window.
- Perform a scan to check if new updates available; if your installation procedure was successful, then there will be no error appearing on the screen.
After trying these high-end methods, you can certainly get rid of the Skype update installation issue. While trying these methods, there must not be any breakage in your internet connection; otherwise, you can see a plethora of problems in completing the procedure.
Furthermore, you can also take the assistance of the Microsoft Support team by visiting the official website for other better resolutions. Along with this, you also have an option to download the Reimage repair tool as that can make your PC perform better apart from fixing the Skype update issue. With this, you can rectify the problem effectively. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.