The Sony WH1000XM4 and WH1000XM3 headphones are two of the best ANC headphones available in the market and that you can buy. So, if you are looking for one of the best wireless noise-canceling headphones available, such as the Bose 700 Headphones or Apple Airpods Max, then you should definitely go for the Sony WH 1000XM4 and WH 1000XM3 headphones. These are 2 of the best Bluetooth noise-canceling headphones that Sony has ever produced.
But, does the latest version, the Sony WH-1000XM4‘s, really offer that much of an improvement over the now cheaper WH-1000XM3’s? We are asking this question because recently, many users started reporting a mic glitch on their headphones. So, now, it depends upon whether you should go for it or not. But, if just because the Sony WH-1000XM3/4 mic is not working issue, then you should read this guide as here we have explained how to fix this issue. So, if you already have any of these devices and face the Mic not working issue, just be with us.
What Are The Reason Behind This Issue?
Before we start with the fixes, it is important to know why this issue occurs. Also, first of all, take your headphone and use them on any other device to make sure that your output source is working fine or not. However, if the Mic is still not working, the problem lies in the headphones’ end. So, what are the reasons behind this error? In my opinion, these might be the reason behind this error.
- You have muted your Mic on your device.
- Outdated audio drivers.
- Any other Bluetooth device prevents or makes a disturbance.
- Distance between the headphone and the device is more than 10m.
How To Fix Sony WH-1000XM3/4 Mic Not Working Issue
So, now you know the main reasons behind this error. Therefore, now how can we fix this issue? Don’t worry! Let’s just take a look at the methods we have described below:
Method 1: Unmute Your Mic
So, the first thing you need to make is sure that the Mic isn’t muted by you accidentally. It sounds silly, but yeah! Most of the time, we may not notice that we have accidentally pressed the mute button. Anyway, you can follow the steps we have mentioned here to unmute your Mic:
- First of all, from the System Tray, right-click on the volume icon.
- Then, select Open Volume Mixer.
- A red circle will indicate that the device is muted under the Windows volume controls. If that’s the case, then choose the device and adjust that slider to unmute it.
Method 2: Set Your Headphone As a Default Device
Did you set your headphone as a default device on your PC? If not, then to enjoy your game while using WH1000XM4 and WH1000XM3 headphones, the first thing you require to do is make sure that your microphone is enabled and set as your default device on your PC. Although your PC automatically does this, still sometimes, due to some bugs or glitches, it may fail to do that. Therefore, you have to do this manually. However, you may not need to worry if you don’t know how to do this. You can simply follow the steps we have mentioned below:
- First of all, from the System Tray, right-click on the volume icon and select Open Sound settings.
- After that, click on the drop-down button located under the Input section and choose the name of your headphones.
- Then, tap on the Manage Sound Devices located inside the Input Section.
- Now, locate your device under the Disabled option, click on it, and hit the Enable button.
- After that, again, hover back to the Sound Window and click on the Sound Control Panel located under the Related Settings.
- Finally, select your microphone found under the Recording tab and click on the Default followed by Ok.
Method 3: Update Audio Driver
It might be possible that your device is running on an outdated audio driver. So, if that’s the case, then this type of issue is common. This happens because your device is missing some new features that the latest audio driver has. So, it is very important to check for audio driver update regularly. However, in case you don’t know how to do it, simply follow the steps given below:
- First of all, open the device manager and expand the Audio inputs & outputs tab.
- After that, right right-click on the Microphone and Speakers simultaneously.
- Then, select the Update driver option from the opened drop-down menu.
Method 4: Try Windows Troubleshooter
Still, no luck? Don’t worry! You can try Windows Troubleshooter. Yeah! If you don’t know about this feature, then let me tell you that you can use the Windows audio troubleshooter to resolve if the Mic is not working. However, here are the guidelines that you require to follow:
- First of all, from the System Tray, right-click on the volume icon and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
- Now, it will ask you to choose which device you wish to troubleshoot. So, select your headphone from the list and hit the Next button.
- That’s it. Now, you have to wait until the troubleshooting process is completed. Once done, you will find that the problem gets resolved.
Method 5: Reduce The Distance
Now, we have mentioned everything that has the potential to help you fix the Sony WH1000XM4 and WH1000XM3 Mic not working issue. But, you are still at the stage where you were before. Finally, we have one thing that might be the reason behind this error. Yes, there is a possibility that the distance between your device and Sony headphone is more than 10m. So, we suggest you reduce the distance between both devices. Once try this and then check if the issue gets fixed or not.
From Author’s Desk
So, that’s all we have for you on how to fix if the Sony WH-1000XM3/4 mic is not working issue. We hope this guide has helped you. Furthermore, in case you still find no luck, then we recommend you to hover over to the nearest service center and get a repair. In addition, if the issue gets fixed, you can comment down and let us know which method works for you.