From Windows 10 onwards, Microsoft tries to push its own browser that is the Edge browser, to its users. This can be seen as adverts and pop-ups when using other browsers and navigating the UI. To be fair, Microsoft did good work with Edge in terms of improving it and making it compatible and robust for day-to-day use. Hence most people choose Edge as their default browser; not just because it’s preinstalled, but it’s actually good. But for some, it’s not the ideal browser, and hence users want to uninstall Microsoft Edge from their Windows 11 PC.
Microsoft has redesigned the browser, and now it is based on chromium, a code on which the Chrome browser is based. Although some people prefer to have a different browser and remove the Edge browser from their PC, or you might be having some problems with the browser, so you may want to uninstall it to reinstall it later. Whatever your case might be, we have a solution for you. So here, in this article, we are going to explain how you can uninstall the Microsoft Edge browser from your Windows 11 PC.
How to uninstall Microsoft Edge from Windows 11
Uninstalling the Microsoft edge installer is easy from the apps and features page in Windows settings. However, if you wish to remove all the components for the Microsoft Edge browser, then try method 2 below.
Method 1: Uninstall from Apps and Features
You can try to uninstall the Edge browser from the default uninstall section for Windows 11. This is a very simple and straightforward method.
- Open the Settings app in windows from the start menu.
- Click on Apps and click on Apps and features.
- Scroll down to find Edge and click on the three dots on the right side.
- Finally, click on uninstall and wait for it to uninstall the browser.
If you follow these steps correctly, you should have removed Edge browser from your Windows 11 PC. Usually, there is no need to restart the PC.
In some earlier Windows build, the uninstall version will be greyed out. This is because the Edge browser is an essential element of the Windows 11 system. If you’re not able to uninstall Edge browser via this method, then try method 2.
Method 2: Uninstall using CMD
You can use the setup file included in the installation folder to uninstall the Browser using the command line. As there are no uninstall.exe files, you have to use the command prompt in this method.
For that, you should follow these steps.
- Open Start, type in CMD, and click on Run as administrator.
- Now, as the Command prompt window opens, type in the following commands:
setup --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level
- What the above command does is that it moves itself to the installation directory of Edge and runs the setup file with uninstalling flag.
- If the command completes successfully, you should see that Edge is removed from your Windows 11 PC.
Method 3: Uninstall using Powershell
You can use the get-appxpackage and remove-appxpackage cmdlets in PowerShell to get the information of the installed Edge browser and remove it straight from the PowerShell window itself. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key and X key at the same time.
- Releasing those keys, press A to open an Administrative PowerShell command.
- Now type in the following line into it:
- Note the package full name that comes as the result. then you have to copy-paste the name after the remove-appxpackage cmdlet.
- For instance, you can type:
- This will remove the edge browser from your PC.
How To Reinstall Microsoft Edge
So whatever reason you want to get back your Edge browser, then you can follow these methods. Unlike removing the Edge browser, installing it is very easy. We would like to mention two main methods.
From the Edge Download site
You can visit the official download site for Microsoft Edge to download the installation package. Simply double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen prompts. In the end, you should have your Edge browser installed. Here’s the link, in case you need it.
Using the New Microsoft Store
Surprisingly, the Microsoft Edge browser is available for download straight from the new Microsoft store. This could save you some time since it is very easy to install applications from the Microsoft store. Simply search for the Edge browser in the store and you should be able to install it.
As you can see, removing the Microsoft Edge browser from Windows 11 is very easy. Depending on your need, you can also reinstall the browser if you want to. Thanks to advanced tools like Command prompt and Powershell. These tools come in handy for most tasks in windows. So it’s good to learn them. But Microsoft Edge has come a long way. It supports Chrome extensions as well. So there are plenty of reasons to stay with Microsoft Edge, but it’s always your choice, so we will let you decide.