In the era of everything coming over digital platforms, issues like High Disk and CPU usage have now become quite common. And with Windows computers, such issues have been existing for a long back despite whichever version (8/8.1/10) you are using. And if these High Disk and CPU usage are occurring by the rundll32.exe processes, then it can get very annoying for Windows users.
Such issues are not permanent and can be resolved using some dedicated fixes or troubleshooters, Hence, if you are also the one experiencing the same, then you have landed at the right place. In this article, we have listed some of the common and tested fixes that will help you get rid of the said issue.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Rundll32?
- 2 How to fix Windows Host Process Rundll32 High Disk and CPU Usage?
What is Rundll32?
Rundll32 is a Windows process that is used to run DLL files or programs. It launches functionality stored in shared DLL files. Rundll32 is a regular part of Windows and is located at \Windows\System32\rundll32.exe.
Now at a time when malware infects the machines, try to use the same name, or run from a different directory then it might cause high disk and CPU usage issues.
How to fix Windows Host Process Rundll32 High Disk and CPU Usage?
Try the fixes mentioned below in order to get rid of the “Windows Host Process Rundll32 High Disk and CPU Usage” issue.
FIX 1: Disable the Telemetry services:
The Telemetry services record and transmits data from your system and then compare it with the PC’s system. This feature later can cause high disk and CPU usage issues in your system. Hence consider disabling the telemetry services and check whether it helps you get rid of the Rundll32 high disk and CPU usage issue. For doing so,
- Firstly, press WINDOWS + R to launch the RUN prompt.
- In the open dialogue box type “services.msc” and then click on OK.
- On the Services window, locate the option Connected User Experience, right-click on it and select Properties.
- From the vertical menu, go to the General tab and set the Service status as Stop and set the Start-up type as
- Now click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
- Finally, close the Service window and then restart your PC. Now go to the task manager and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
FIX 2: Uninstall the Google App Engine:
Many users have reportedly claimed that the high disk and CPU usages issue occurred after they installed the Google App Engine. Also, uninstalling it resolved the issue as well. For doing so,
- Firstly, press WINDOWS + R to launch the RUN prompt.
- In the open dialogue box type “appwiz.cpl” and then click on OK.
- In the Program and Feature window, locate the Google App Engine.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall. On the confirmation prompt, click on Yes.
- Once the program is uninstalled, restart your system and check whether the said issue is solved or if it persists.
FIX 3: Disable certain items from the Task Scheduler:
There is a high possibility that some of the Windows processes might end up causing Rundll32 high disk and CPU usage issues. It is one of the common causes for the majority of the users who were facing a similar issue. For doing so,
- Go to the Windows search bar and type Administrative tools and open the relevant option from the search result.
- From the shortcut list, click and open Task Scheduler.
- Now click on Task Schedular Library and navigate to the following path,
Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement.
- From the right-pane options, locate and right-click on Consolidator and select Properties.
- From the vertical menu, open the Triggers tab, select the One Time trigger and click on edit.
- Now on the Edit Trigger window, navigate to the Advanced settings and untick the checkbox located before the Enabled box.
- Click on OK to save the changes.
- Follow a similar process for the other items (consolidator, KernelCeip Task and UsbCeip) in the list as well.
- Once done, restart your PC and check whether the issue is solved or not.
FIX 4: Rename aienv.dll:
As per users, renaming the aienv.dll has fixed the Rundll32 high disk and CPU usage issue for them. Though before starting with the steps, we recommend you to create a system restore point.
- Launch Windows Explorer and then navigate to the following path, C:\Windows\System32.
- Now inside the folder, locate aeinv.dll. You can find it on the list there, or you can also search it through the search bar present at the top right corner.
- Right-click on aeinv.dll and then click on Rename.
- Change the file name to oldaeinv.dll. You might receive a confirmation prompt stating. You’ll need to provide administrator permission to rename this file. Here click on Continue.
- In case you are still facing issues while renaming the file, then consider changing the ownership of the file. It will then allow you with the permission of renaming the file.
- Once done, restart your system and check whether the issue is solved or if it persists.
FIX 5: Uninstall the Lenovo Dependency package:
In case you are using a Lenovo laptop (any old model) then uninstalling the Lenovo Dependency package might help you in getting rid of the said issue. We recommend you to create a system restore point before trying this fix as a precautionary measure.
- On the Windows search bar, type Control panel and open the first relevant search option.
- Click on Program and Features.
- Now locate Lenovo Dependency Package, right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Confirm your action by clicking on Yes on the next prompt.
- Once done, restart your system and check whether the issue is solved or not.
At the time, the Rundll3.exe process might cause high disk and CPU usage issues due to some malware. Though the problem is generally not very serious but running out of Disk space and CPU usage can cause frustration among users. Hence, the above fixes will come handy if you are experiencing the same.
These were some tried, tested and proven fixes for “Windows Host Process Rundll32 High Disk and CPU Usage” issue. We hope one or another of them helps you. The fixes are relatively easy and require only some basic computer knowledge for using them. After reading this article, if you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment on the below comment box.