In this tutorial, we will show you how to fix the WinRAR not enough memory error. When it comes to compressions, extractions, and dealing with RAR or ZIP file formats, WinRAR is right there at the top. It has streamlined the entire process and made it really easy for the end-user to carry out the aforementioned task. However, sometimes you might have to deal with a few errors along the way as well. In this regard, issues related to memory seems to be among the most common ones.
Users are reportedly getting the ‘WinRAR not enough memory’ error message. This usually shows up when you extract or compress RAR files of a few GBs on your system. The word ‘memory’ in this case refers to the volatile one,i.e. the Random Access Memory. So this straightway translates to the fact that your PC isn’t having the required free RAM and the available resources to carry out the desired task. With that said, this guide will outline various possible methods that will help you rectify this WinRAR error.
Fix WinRAR not enough memory error
Before we begin with the steps, keep in mind that there isn’t any universal fix for this issue. You will have to try each of the below-mentioned methods until you are able to achieve success. Follow along for the instructions.
Fix 1: Free up RAM on your PC
If there are a lot of processes, applications, and services running in the background then they are bound to consume excessive RAM. In that case, we would recommend you close the unnecessary apps, at least till WinRAR is running.
- So use the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut keys to launch Task Manager.
- You should now be taken to the Processes tab. Within that, have a look at the Memory section.
- Then check out the app that is consuming the maximum RAM.
- Select it and hit the End Task button situated at the bottom right.
Once that is done, launch WinRAR and see if it is able to fix the ‘not enough memory’ error. If it’s still there, then here are some other workarounds that you should try out.
Fix 2: Change the Extraction path
In some cases, the issue might be related to the extraction path, i.e., the directory where you are about to extract the contents of the ZIP or RAR file. So switching over to a different path usually does the trick in such scenarios. Here is how it could be done:
- Launch the WinRAR app on your PC
- Then head over to Options from the top menu and select Settings.
- Within the Settings menu go to the Paths section
- Now under the Folder for temporary files section, click on the Browse button.
- Select a different location and click OK. Now close WinRAR and then relaunch it.
Restart your PC and check whether the ‘WinRAR not enough memory’ error has been fixed or not.
Fix 3: Reinstall WinRAR
If both the above methods didn’t give out any favorable results, then you should consider uninstalling the app and then reinstalling the latest build. It will also clear out issues related to using an old build or if some of its files had been corrupted. On that note, here are the required steps:
- Search for Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Then click on Uninstall a program under the Programs section.
- Scroll to the WinRAR app, right-click on it, and select Uninstall.
- Once that is done, head over to the WinRAR website and download the latest build.
- Install it using the on-screen instructions and then launch the program. See if it fixes the ‘WinRAR not enough memory’ error.
Fix 4: Going for Alternatives
Even after trying out the above tweaks, you aren’t able to fix the issue, then you could try out some WinRAR alternatives. In this regard, WinZIP is a quite reputable player in this domain. The app offers a free version for a limited time after which you will have to shell out some bucks. So it is recommended that you try out your extracting or compression tasks during this time frame. Or you could also look out for apps such as 7ZIP that also does this job quite effectively.
On that note, we conclude the guide on how to fix the ‘WinRAR not enough memory’ error. We have shared four different fixes for the same, any one of which should work out in your case. Do let us know in the comments which method spelled out success for you. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that deserve your attention as well.