Spelunky 2 is one of the roguelike addictive games which is a sequel to the Spelunky (2008) edition. The game is only available for PC and PS4 platforms but it seems that more & more PC users are experiencing the bugs or errors in the Spelunky 2 game either while startup or during the gameplay. Now, even after getting the new patch update, Spelunky 2 not launching on the PC and that’s very much frustrating. If you’re one of them, check this guide.
Definitely, there may be some of the possible reasons behind the particular issue like corrupted/missing game files, outdated GPU driver, may have some issues with the admin access or fullscreen display mode, outdated Windows build, Windows Defender, or Antivirus program issue, etc. Well, check out all the possible workarounds below to easily fix the game not launching problem.
Table of Contents
- 1 After New Patch Update, Spelunky 2 Not Launching: How to Fix
- 1.1 1. Restart PC and Power Cycle Router
- 1.2 2. Run as administrator
- 1.3 3. Update Windows Build
- 1.4 4. Update GPU Driver
- 1.5 5. Verify Game Files
- 1.6 6. Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
- 1.7 7. Reinstall Nvidia Driver via GeForce Experience
- 1.8 8. Disable Fullscreen Optimization
- 1.9 9. Clear Unnecessary Services and Do a Clean Boot
- 1.10 10. Disable Steam Overlay
- 1.11 11. Adjust Discord Settings
After New Patch Update, Spelunky 2 Not Launching: How to Fix
Mossmouth has recently released a new patch update for the Spelunky 2 which literally improves plenty of issues or bugs. But we have seen so many times that most of the patch updates for all video games do come with some other bugs or stability issues and Spelunky 2 is no exception here.
Those who were previously able to play the game without any issue, after getting the new patch update, plenty of PC players are reporting that the Spelunky 2 game not launching at all. Now, you may ask what to do next. Well, let’s find it out.
1. Restart PC and Power Cycle Router
Make sure to restart your computer first. If nothing happens, you should also try to power cycle your Wi-Fi Router. To do this, turn off the router > unplug the ethernet cable and power cable from the power source > Wait for at least 1 minute and plug back in > Turn on the router and check for the error again.
2. Run as administrator
- Find out the Spelunky 2.exe file from the installed game folder or desktop.
- Now, simply right-click on the executable file or application.
- Select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab > Enable ‘Run this program as an administrator’ checkbox.
- Then click on Apply and OK to save changes.
- Once done, double-click on the executable file and start playing the game.
3. Update Windows Build
- Click on Start > Settings > Update & Security.
- If the available update isn’t showing automatically, click on Check for updates.
- If there is any latest Windows update available, make sure to Download and Install it.
- Once downloaded, the system will ask you to reboot your device to apply the changes.
4. Update GPU Driver
- Click on Start > Type Device Manager and click on it from the search result.
- Click on the arrow of Display adapters > Right-click on the graphics card.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is any update available, it will automatically download and install the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to save changes.
5. Verify Game Files
While it’s also worth mentioning that most of the game files get corrupted or missing due to some unfortunate issues and that can be restored or fixed automatically by verifying the game files on the Steam client.
- Launch the Steam client > Go to the Library.
- Right-click on Spelunky 2 > Select Properties.
- Click on Local Files > Click on Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait for a couple of minutes to finish the verification and fixing process. (if any)
- Once done, restart your Steam client and you’ll be good to go.
6. Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
It’s known to most of us that in terms of the security, both the Windows Firewall and the antivirus program plays a major role. So, if in case, none of the methods worked for you, make sure to simply disable the Antivirus program and the Windows Firewall protection on your computer on a temporary basis whenever you run Steam or play the Spelunky 2 game.
However, if you don’t want to compromise with your gameplay and security, then make sure to add an exception to the Antivirus and Firewall application for the Spelunky 2 game folder to bypass the syncing error. In order to do that, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys combo (shortcut) to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Now, you’ll need to click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Security > Choose Virus & Threat Protection.
- Here you’ll need to click on Manage settings.
- Scroll down and click on Add or remove exclusions.
- Click on Add an exclusion and select Folder.
- Choose the Spelunky 2 folder and the Steam folder > Set the exclusion to save changes.
- Finally, restart the PC and try running the game again.
7. Reinstall Nvidia Driver via GeForce Experience
- Visit the official NVIDIA GeForce website to download the driver.
- Download the GeForce Experience app on your PC and install it.
- Launch the NVIDIA GeForce Experience app > If it asks you to update the version, then simply update the app first. Otherwise, proceed to the Drivers tab.
- Click on Check for Updates > If there is the latest driver update available, click on Custom Install. (You can also go for Express Installation)
- Enable the checkbox to Perform a clean installation and then proceed to Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Once done, restart your computer and try starting the game.
8. Disable Fullscreen Optimization
- Go to the Steam Library > Right-click on the Spelunky 2 game.
- Choose Properties > Go to the ‘Local Files’ tab.
- Now, click on ‘SET LAUNCH OPTIONS’.
- Type the following command-line argument:
- Click on Ok and exit the Steam client.
- Finally, restart the computer and try launching the Spelunky 2 game again via the Steam client.
9. Clear Unnecessary Services and Do a Clean Boot
- Press Windows + R keys to open up the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig and hit Enter to open up System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Click on Hide all Microsoft services to check the box.
- Click on Disable all > Go to the Startup tab.
- Next, click on Open Task Manager > End all the unnecessary or higher memory consuming background running tasks one by one.
- Once done, restart your PC and check for the Spelunky 2 game not launching issue again.
10. Disable Steam Overlay
- Open Steam on your Windows.
- Head over to the Settings> Click on the In-Game
- Click on the checkbox to disable “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game“.
- Once the checkbox mark is removed, click on OK.
11. Adjust Discord Settings
- Launch the Discord app > Click on User Settings.
- Click on Voice & Video from the left pane.
- Select Advanced > Next, disable OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, Inc. > Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority.
- Go to Overlay > Disable it.
- Next, head over to the Advanced > Disable Hardware Acceleration.
- Save changes and restart your PC.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. Feel free to ask in the comment below.