When you try to install two different programs at a time using the Windows Installer, you will get an error message that says, “Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You have to complete that installation before continuing this one.” so, the best thing to do is stop one installation process.
But what if you’re not doing any other Installation at that time, and still you got that error. You will be confused after seeing the error message on your Windows screen. To clear your confusion, we are going to discuss what is this error and how you can deal with this “Another Installation is already in progress” error?
- Error Code 1500 :
- Solutions to Fix Another Installation is Already in Progress Error?
- Solution 1: Cleanup
- Solution 2: Fix the error code 1500 with Windows Installer
- Solution 3: Task Manager
- Solution 4: Disable Windows Installer
- Solution 5: Using a Third-party Uninstaller
- Solution 6: Fix Java
- Solution 7: Fix Microsoft Office
- Solution 8: Fix the Windows Installer using Command Prompt
- Solution 9: Creating a new Windows User Profile
- Solution 10: Fixing Startup Applications
- Solution 11: Edit your Registry
- Solution 12: Fix the Visual Studio 2015
Error Code 1500 :
‘Another Installation is already in progress’ error comes with an error code 1500. The error indicates that to continue with your installation, you have to stop or let the previous installation process to complete. But users have complained that the error can still come up when there are no other programs installing in the background. This happens due to an ‘In progress’ key which was left behind from the older installations or any fault in the Windows Installer. This is not a new error, it has also been found in Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows 8.
If you are experiencing this error on your computer, then go through the solutions we have provided below and fix the causing which is causing this error.
Solutions to Fix Another Installation is Already in Progress Error?
Solution 1: Cleanup
The error is known to arise because of the temporary files which were left behind from older installations. You have to use the Disk Cleanup utility to remove the temporary files. Follow these steps.
- Press Windows key +S.
- Search for Disk Cleanup.
- Select the Disk Cleanup from the options and choose a system drive(by default it is “C” )
- Press Enter.
- When Disk Cleanup opens up, you have to select all the options, then press OK.
- After the process is complete, try installing the program which was showing the error.
Solution 2: Fix the error code 1500 with Windows Installer
Windows Installer is a service present in your Windows 10 computer that is responsible for all the installations. If you are seeing the error code 1500, It’s maybe due to a program which is running in the background without your knowledge. You can use the Windows Installer to fix this problem. To do so, you just have to follow these easy steps.
- Press Windows key +R.
- You have to type “msc” in the search bar and hit Enter.
- Find Windows Installer and double-click on it.
- Now, choose its Properties
- If you see that the Windows Installer is in action, then click Stop to disable the action.
- Then, after a few seconds, restart it.
- Check for any errors while installing any program.
Solution 3: Task Manager
You can use the Task Manager to stop any ‘Msiexec’ process. You can fix the error when you stop multiple tasks happening at a time in the Windows Installer. Follow these steps.
- To open Task Manager, type Ctrl + Shift + Esc
- Find Windows Installer in the Processes tab.
- Choose the task from the Windows Installer, right-click on it.
- Select the End Task option and keep it in mind to end all the tasks by Windows Installer.
- Try reinstalling the program and check for any errors.
Solution 4: Disable Windows Installer
As the error is mostly associated with the Windows Installer, try disabling it and restart your Windows to see if the error is fixed. It is a simple process, you have to only follow these steps.
- To open the Services Window, press Windows key +R. Type msc.
- Choose the Windows Installer and double-click on it to select its Properties.
- Open the Startup Type and choose the “Disabled” option.
- Press “Apply” and then click OK.
- Restart your computer and repeat the steps above until you find the Startup Type option.
- You can set the Startup Type to Manual or Automatic. Now, close the Services Window and check for the error.
Solution 5: Using a Third-party Uninstaller
The error can happen due to leftover files from a problematic application. Even if you can manually uninstall an application, you don’t fully get rid of its registry entries and leftover files. So, it’s better to use a third-party uninstaller which can do all the work for you. It will clean up the leftover files and the registry entries. We have recommended some uninstaller applications below:
Use the uninstaller and look for the error.
Solution 6: Fix Java
Users have complained that when they try to update Java on their computer, the error code 1500 is showing up on their screen. You can follow our steps below to uninstall the current version of Java from your computer and download an offline installation of Java.
- Press Windows key +I.
- Open the Settings
- Find Java among the installed applications.
- Choose Java and then click on the “Uninstall” option.
- Now, go to download the offline installation of Java and install it by following the on-screen instructions.
Solution 7: Fix Microsoft Office
Many users have encountered the Another installation is already in progress error while installing Microsoft Office into their PC. The error happens perhaps due to another update of the Microsoft Office running in the background. Fix this issue by following these steps steps given below.
- First, go to this link to download a tool.
- After the downloading is done, follow the on-screen instructions to remove Microsoft Office.
- Restart your computer and reinstall the Microsoft Office.
Solution 8: Fix the Windows Installer using Command Prompt
Since Windows Installer is failing at its job, you can re-register the Windows Installer using Command Prompt and see if this can fix the issue.
- Press Windows key + X.
- To run command lines, you need to have administrative privilege.
- So, choose the Command Prompt (admin)
- Run the following command lines and press Enter after each line.
- Close the Command Prompt Window and check for the error.
Solution 9: Creating a new Windows User Profile
Another installation is already in progress error can also happen when your Windows User profile is at fault. To fix the error, you can try to create a new Windows user account following these steps.
- Press Windows key +I.
- Go to the Settings.
- Choose Family & other people from the Accounts
- Then, choose the option Add someone else to this PC.
- You will be prompted to give the sign-in info. You can ignore this by pressing Next.
- Now, choose the Add a user without a Microsoft account
- Input a username and password, select Next.
- Log into this new account and see if the error comes up again.
Solution 10: Fixing Startup Applications
To check if the issue is coming up because of a Startup Application, you can perform a Clean Boot action. You can perform it manually by following these steps.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
- In the System Configuration window, choose the Services
- Check the box beside Hide all Microsoft services option and select Disable all.
- In the Startup tab, choose the Open Task Manager
- Right-click on the available startup applications and then choose the Disable
- Come back to the System Configuration tab and choose the “Apply” option, then hit Enter.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
Solution 11: Edit your Registry
If none of the above mentioned solutions solve the error for you, try editing your registry. It’s possible that changing certain values in your registry will solve the problem for you. But it is a dangerous process, you must have a backup before you start the following steps.
- To open the Run dialog, press Windows key +R.
- Type “regedit” and click OK.
- In the Left pane, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsInstallerInProgress
- In the right pane, choose the default value and double-click on it.
- You have to delete the values from the Data value field, then press Enter.
- Close the registry editor and go to the Startup type option of the Windows Installer to disable it.
- Again set the Startup type to Manual after you restart your computer.
Solution 12: Fix the Visual Studio 2015
The error has been reported to come when installing Video Studio 2015. To fix this issue you have to use the registry editor.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “regedit” and press OK to begin the search process for registry editor.
- In the left pane, go to
- Find the PendingFileRenameOperations value in the right pane.
- Right-click on it and choose Delete.
- After deleting the values, close the registry Window.
- Restart your computer and try to install the Visual Studio 2015.
We tried to provide you with the best solutions to fix the Another installation is already in progress error. It is a very disturbing error. Especially when you are in a rush to install a program on your PC. To look for solutions everywhere to fix the error can take a lot of time.
You don’t have to waste your time searching for solutions because we have compiled the best solutions to fix the error code 1500 at one place. And you can easily follow our instructions and solve this error on your own. I hope you will be able to get rid of the error and install whatever programs you need on your computer. If you have any queries or feedback please write down the comment in the below comment box.