Asus has finally launched the ROG Ally handheld gaming console. Based on the Windows platform, the ROG Ally is a handheld gaming console. With higher performance benchmarks than Steam Deck, it’s one of the most popular handheld gaming consoles. But, it looks like this device is not completely good enough as many users face heating issues while playing any game. Yes, you heard it right. There are a number of tweets regarding the Asus ROG Ally overheating issue. However, that’s the reason why we are here. In this article, we have mentioned some of the basic fixes that will surely help you resolve the overheating issue with this handheld gaming device. So, let’s get started with the guide:
- How to Fix Asus ROG Ally Overheating Issue
- Fix 1: Reduce The Wattage of The Console
- Fix 2: Clean Air Flow Vents
- Fix 3: Switch Off the Console
- Fix 4: Allow The Device to Cool Down
- Fix 5: Adjust Frame Limiter
- Fix 6: Reduce the Brightness
- Fix 7: Disable Startup Processes
- Fix 8: Reduce GPU Memory
- Fix 9: Update the Firmware
- Fix 10: Use a Different Charger
- Fix 11: Reset Your Asus ROG Ally
- Fix 12: Contact Asus Support
How to Fix Asus ROG Ally Overheating Issue
So, here are some fixes to help you guys resolve the Asus ROG Ally overheating issue
Fix 1: Reduce The Wattage of The Console
- Open Settings and select Operating Mode.
- Under Operating Mode, select Manual Mode.
- Set the Wattage to a lower level. Here are also the settings for underclocking the processor.
- Choosing Silent Mode will reduce the console’s wattage, preventing overheating.
To reduce the temperature instantly, Asus ROG Ally will be restarted once these settings are applied.
Fix 2: Clean Air Flow Vents
There is a reliable airflow for cooling vents on the Asus ROG Ally. It is also possible for the vents to get clogged up with dust and dirt, as they do with any gaming device. It’s, therefore, crucial to clean the air vents of your gaming console. Here are two fans behind the Asus ROG Ally that you should target for this purpose. Before you start playing, we recommend switching off the console.
To clean any clogged dust or dirt in the vent, inject compressed air into them. It is recommended that you enable real-time monitoring after cleaning the best to keep track of CPU and GPU temperatures.
Fix 3: Switch Off the Console
- Hold down the Power button for 10 seconds on your Asus ROG Ally.
- It will take 10-15 minutes for the console to cool down.
- Press the power button again to turn the console on.
It is common for the console to overheat due to excessive usage, after which it simply needs to cool down. Thus, if the temperature outside is hot, it may take some time fo the console to cool down.
Fix 4: Allow The Device to Cool Down
Nowadays, devices come with built-in features to protect themselves against overheating, as I explained previously. It can overheat if you play heavy games on your Asus ROG Ally. Additionally, if the device’s temperature reaches too high, it will shut down automatically. You cannot get hurt by it, and you cannot damage internal components either.
After the device has cooled down, try turning it on again. It should be able to be turned on without a problem. There is a possibility that dust or debris accumulation may be blocking the air vents on your Asus ROG Ally if it frequently overheats. You will be able to move hot air out of your device more efficiently by cleaning the air vents/coolers. In order to ensure maximum durability of air coolers inside your Asus ROG Ally, you need to perform this exercise regularly.
Fix 5: Adjust Frame Limiter
- To access the Frame Limiter, open the command center on Asus ROG Ally.
- Press the A button to adjust the frame limiter. It is recommended that you set the frame limit to 60Hz in order to enjoy fluent gameplay without overheating your console.
Fix 6: Reduce the Brightness
- To open the command center, click the Quick Action button on Asus ROG Ally.
- In the pop-up menu, you will find the brightness bar on the left. Set the brightness to a lower level.
- You can prevent ROG Ally from overheating by making sure the screen is visible enough.
Fix 7: Disable Startup Processes
It is possible for startup processes to consume more CPU resources than usual, causing the Asus ROG Ally to heat up even if you don’t use it.
- Click on the Window Mode in the command center.
- On Windows, tap the Start button and type Settings.
- To disable specific apps from starting, go to Apps> Startup and tap the toggle-off button.
Fix 8: Reduce GPU Memory
Here are some steps for reducing the GPU memory, which can reduce the load on the console.
- On the ROG Ally, use the trigger buttons to access Settings.
- Under the Operating Moded, tap GPU Settings.
- From the pop-up, select the memory options next to the Memory Assigned To GPU.
- To reduce the GPU memory, select 2G or 3G.
Once the VRAM has been changed, restart your console to make the changes take effect.
Fix 9: Update the Firmware
Asus recently updated ROG Ally’s firmware in order to fix the excessive battery consumption issue and improve software performance. In addition to optimizing battery life, this update is also effective at maintaining the temperature of your console. So, to prevent overheating on Asus ROG Ally, follow these steps and update the firmware:
- With the trigger buttons, activate the Asus ROG Ally and navigate to the command center tab.
- Click on the Update Center button in the command center and press A.
- After it restarts, tap the Check For Updates button and then the Update All button to install firmware updates to Asus ROG Ally.
Fix 10: Use a Different Charger
If you are having overheating issues with your Asus ROG Ally after plugging it in for a few minutes, you may have a faulty power adapter or charging cable. You may need to try charging it with another charger if you don’t see a charging animation on the display after connecting the charger. To charge your ROG Ally, you can use any 65W type C charger to do this.
Fix 11: Reset Your Asus ROG Ally
It is inevitable that software will have bugs and glitches. Also, they can cause issues when attempting to play games for long hours on the device. When you want to fix bugs and glitches on your device, resetting it is your best option. You can reset your Asus ROG Ally by following these steps:
- You will need to connect your ROG Ally to the charger.
- To turn down the volume, hold the volume down button for a few seconds.
- You should then hold the volume down button while pressing and holding the power button at the same time.
- Now, hold down the button until the BIOS screen appears after the device turns on. It should take about 30 seconds.
- To exit EZ mode, click the Y button.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Click Asus Cloud Restore and press A.
Your Asus ROG Ally will need to be set up again after the reset process has been completed. Let the device charge to full and start playing.
Fix 12: Contact Asus Support
You may have damaged the screen if you have tried all the solutions above and they have not worked. There is also the possibility that other hardware, such as the motherboard or hard drive, is defective. So, professionals should need to check it for you. Therefore, get in touch with Asus support or visit your local Asus service center.
So, that’s how to fix Asus ROG Ally overheating issue. We hope that this guide has helped you. In the meantime, if you have any doubts regarding this overheating issue, comment below and let us know.