The Amazon Echo device has a built-in Assistant Alexa that takes care of all your assistant needs. From weather forecasting to playing songs hands-free, the Amazon Echo handles all very well. Surely, Alexa has a long way to go as compared to the Google Assistant, but the price of the Alexa powered Amazon Echo makes it a better deal over the Google Mini or Hub. By default, Alexa responds to the word “Alexa” as the “wake word.” This means every time you speak up, Alexa, your Amazon echo, will listen to you.
Now if there is someone in your house with the name Alexa or you just dont like the name Alexa, then you can change the “wake word” from “Alexa” to either “Amazon,” “Echo,” or “Computer.” Now, technically you can’t change the name of your assistant in the Amazon Echo device, but you can set one of these words as a “wake word” to replace the default “Alexa” word.
How to change the wake word for the assistant on your Amazon Echo device?
You will need the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone for this procedure.
- Open the application on your iPhone, Android, or iPad.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines icon on the top left corner of your screen.
- Now tap on the last option, “Settings.”
- Go to device settings and then choose the Amazon Echo device whose “wake word” you want to change.
- Now scroll down to the option “Wake Word” and then tap on it.
- From the list of options, choose any one of the wake words from Alexa, Echo, Computer, and Amazon. You cannot manually set a wake word here as the assistant is limited to respond to either one of these four options.
- Once you make the selection, the Amazon Echo device which you selected will start responding to the new “wake word.”
Now there is a way to do this without the application too. You can just go up to the speaker and ask, “Alexa, Can you change your wake word?” Your speaker will respond that it can, and from there, just follow on the instructions that the assistant on your Echo device speaks up. Here too, you will have the make the choice between the four wake words built into the system.
So now you know how to call the assistant on your Amazon Echo device using a different name. If you have any queries with this guide, then comment down below. Also, be sure to check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more useful information.