Microsoft Excel is one of the best and most used tools for creating and storing data in the form of sheets. Many of the business ad organization use Excel files for managing and storing their important data. However, if they require displaying this data on a Website or a third-party tool, Microsoft Excel does not support this.
Here comes the process of Converting Excel sheet to the HTML table. Though one can manually write down the data into an HTML table it can become quite tedious and hectic. So, without wasting much energy and time, you can follow the top three methods given below that will help you convert Excel Sheet to HTML Table.
Methods to Convert Excel Sheet to HTML Table
Here are some of the methods to convert the excel sheet into HTML table format.
Method 1: Use the SAVE AS command.
By using the SAVE AS command in Excel, you can convert your Excel Sheet data to an HTML table. This method allows us to convert a range of cells or an entire workbook into an HTML table. Follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, select the Range of cells or an entire table whatsoever you want to convert.
- Now go to File, expand Save As and then click on the Browse icon.
- Now on the Save As window, select an Existing folder, or Create a new one where you want to place the HTML table.
- Go to the File name section and type the desired file name for the HTML table.
- On the Save As section, select the option Web Page (.htm; .html) or Single File Web Page (.mht; .mhl) and then click on Save.
- A “Publish as web page” pop-up box will appear on your screen. Here, by selecting the Change Title button, you can set a title for your web page. This title will get displayed on the title bar of your browser.
- From the Choose section, open the drop-down menu and select the Excel workbook items you want to export to the web page.
- Tick the checkboxes located before the options “Auto Republish every time this workbook is saved” and “Opened publish a web page in the browser.” The Auto republish option will automatically update and republish the HTML table every time. Whereas, the publish web page option will automatically open this web page after saving.
- Now click on the Browse button located beside the File name option and choose the location you want to save your web page.
- Lastly, click on the Publish button to make the entire process applicable.
Note: This method is explicitly applicable to the ribboned version of Excel 2016, 2010, 2013, and 2007.
Method 2: Use online converting tools
The manual process could be quite lengthy and time-consuming for users who often convert Excel sheets into an HTML table. Here the faster methods you can opt for is using the Online converting tools. There are a lot of Excel to HTML online converter in both free and paid version. Here we will discuss two such tools named as Tableizer and Kutools.
Excel sheet to HTML table converting process using “Tableizer.”
Tableizer is a free online converting tool that is very easy to use. It features a preview window that shows you how the Excel table would look online. For converting Excel sheet to HTML table using Tableizer, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, copy the content you want to convert from your Excel sheet.
- Now open the Tableizer tool.
- On the “Paste your cells from Excel, Calc or other spreadsheets here:” column, paste the content you copied previously.
- Now click the Tableizer It button and you are done.
Apart from being a free tool, it is quite quick in the conversion. The process takes just a couple of minutes. You can also change or edit the Font, Font Size, and Header color before converting the sheet.
Excel sheet to HTML table converting process using Kutools
Kutools is a handy Excel tool that can convert Excel cells to HTML table/ pdf table/Unicode text table and much more. It offers more than 300 usable functions providing you quick results and making your job easier. You can download it free online. For converting Excel sheet into an HTML table using the Kutools for Excel tool, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Excel spreadsheet you want to convert.
- Now select the range of cells that you want to use.
- From the top vertical menu, open the Kutools tab.
- Now select Import & Export > Export range to file. The Export range to file dialogue box will open soon.
- Select either the Simple HTML or Complex HTML (all formatting) option.
- When selected the Simple HTML option tick all the checkboxes located before:
- Preserve background color.
- Preserve font name, size, and color.
- Preserve bold italic formatting.
- Preserve column width.
- Preserve horizontal alignment.
- When selected the Complex HTML (all formatting) option, tick the checkbox located before:
- Use this title.
Note: Using the Simple HTML, the selected range will be exported into grid lines, background color, font name, font size, font color, bold italic, column widths, and the horizontal alignment. Whereas, using the Complex HTML, all the formats of the selected range will be kept in the final File. You can choose any of these two options as per your need.
- Click on OK. A dialogue box asking you to change the exported file name. You can change the name if needed.
- Again, click on OK in the dialogue box.
Now the excel sheet has been converted into an HTML table.
Method 3: Convert the Excel sheet into an HTML table using Formulas
This method uses complex formulas for converting Excel sheets into an HTML table. As it is quite a lengthy and confusing process for many, so we have kept it at last. However, by carefully using the procedure below, you can successfully do the conversion.
- Open the Excel sheet that you want to convert.
- Enter the following text to a range of empty cells on the table:
<tr> , <td> ,</td> , </tr>
- Move towards the next cell and type the formula, “= D1&E1&A1&F1&E1&B1&F1&E1&C1&F1&G1”, press Enter, and drag it to till the cells you need. The Alphabet and numbers in the formula may differ depending upon where you have entered the text mentioned in the first step. Make sure you do it according to your Excel spreadsheet.
- Once you drag down the above formula, it will automatically paste them as the value in the below location.
- Now copy-paste these formula cells into another location. For that, select the formula cells, press Ctrl + C altogether, choose another location (blank cell), and select Paste as a value option.
- Now copy the cell range into the HTML editor, and enter the following text at the beginning and end of the String range:
- </tbody></table> and then press Enter.
Once done, the Excel sheet will successfully get converted into the HTML table.
Things to keep in mind while converting Excel sheet into an HTML table.
- Make sure you always keep the supporting files and web pages in the same location.
- Maintain your original Excel sheet up to date. Whenever you make changes in the workbook, always save (.xlsx) first and then save as a Web page file (.htm or .html).
- There could be chances where you may not want to republish the spreadsheet or selected items automatically. Here in case, make the Auto Republish feature temporarily unavailable.
- Keep in mind that conditional formatting and rotated or vertical text are not supported when you convert Excel spreadsheets into an HTML table.
So, these were the methods that would help you convert an Excel Sheet to an HTML table. If you are looking for a quick conversion, then the Online converting tools are the best for you. However, you can always follow the process manually too.
The Excel sheet to the HTML table conversion process is quite easy and quick. Also, before getting into the conversion process, make sure you go through the “Things to keep in mind while converting Excel sheet into HTML table” section above. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.