The Dell Alienware M17 is a high-end gaming laptop with features designed to give you the best gaming experience possible. However, most users have been facing sound problems after updating the latest Windows on their Dell Alienware M17 laptop. If you’ve been using your Dell Alienware M17 and suddenly find yourself without any sound, there are a few things you can do to try and fix the issue.
- What Causes the Dell Alienware M17 No Sound Issue?
- How to Fix Dell Alienware M17 No Sound Issue?
- Method 1: Check the Speaker Connection
- Method 2: Check the Speaker Volume
- Method 3: Reboot your system
- Method 4: Update your Audio Driver
- Method 5: Check the Default Audio Device
- Method 6: Check Windows Update
- Method 7: Try Headphones or External Speakers
- Method 8: Restart the Windows Audio Service
- Method 9: Contact Dell Support
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
What Causes the Dell Alienware M17 No Sound Issue?
Most users are facing the no sound issue on their Dell Alienware M17 laptop and do not know how to fix it. Here are a few potential reasons your Dell Alienware M17 laptop may have no sound.
- An issue with your speakers
- Sound driver outdated or corrupt
- The audio jack is not plugged in properly
- Outdated Windows
- The sound system is disabled
- Issues with Audio Enhancement
The points mentioned above are the main issue found in the Dell Alienware M17 laptop, and due to this issue, most users are getting irritated and frustrated. Furthermore, there are some following methods to fix the no-sound issue on your Dell Alienware M17 laptop.
How to Fix Dell Alienware M17 No Sound Issue?
There are several ways to fix the no-sound issue on your Dell Alienware M17. Here are some ways to fix the sound issue on your laptop by following some methods.
Method 1: Check the Speaker Connection
First, make sure that the speakers are properly connected to the laptop. If they are not, then plug them in and try again.
If the speakers are properly connected, and you still can’t hear any sound, then the next step is to check the sound settings in Windows. To do this, follow the steps.
- Go to the Start menu and then to the Control Panel.
- Click on “Hardware and Sound” and then on “Sound.”
- Make sure that the “Speakers” are selected as the default device.
- If they are not, then click on the “Speakers” option
- Again, click on the “Set Default” button.
If the “Speakers” are already set as the default device, then click on the “Advanced” button. In the Advanced window, ensure that the “Default Format” is set to “Stereo.”
Method 2: Check the Speaker Volume
First, check to make sure that the sound is not muted. There is a small button on the top edge of the keyboard that has a speaker icon. Make sure that this button is not depressed.
Most of the users don’t know how to set the volume in the system. However, if your speakers are turned off, if the sound is not muted, the next thing to check is the volume. There is a volume control on the laptop’s right side, just above the keyboard. Make sure that the volume is turned up all the way. If you’re still not hearing any sound, the next thing to try is restarting the laptop.
Method 3: Reboot your system
You can reboot the Dell Alienware M17 laptop in a few different ways. One way is to press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds until the laptop turns off. Another way is to go to the start menu, click on the power button, and then reboot. Sometimes the audio drivers can get glitchy, and a restart will fix the problem.
Method 4: Update your Audio Driver
Sometimes outdated or corrupt drivers are the main cause of no sound in your laptop, and there are few steps to update your audio drivers. The best way to update your sound drivers is to go to the website of the company that made your sound card and download the latest drivers from there or follow the below steps to update your audio driver.
- Right-click on the taskbar.
- Select Device Manager from the list.
- You will be able to see the Audio inputs and outputs section.
- Right-click on the audio driver.
- Click the Update driver option.
- Choose to search automatically for the driver option.
The above steps will help you solve the issue which was the main reason for the sound issue on your Dell Alienware M17 laptop. You can do this by going to the Dell support website and downloading the latest drivers for your M17. If your driver is updated to the latest version and there is still no sound on your laptop, then you can try other methods for fixing them.
Method 5: Check the Default Audio Device
If your Dell Alienware M17 laptop speakers are not working correctly, it’s notified that next check your default audio device. Sometimes the speakers might not be set as the default audio device, which leads to various causes. You can check the default audio device by following some steps.
- Right-click to the bottom right corner to start the Audio icon.
- Select sound from the menu.
- Get to the playback tab.
- Right-click the space and ensure that Show Disabled and Disconnected Devices options are checked.
After, right-click on speakers and select Set as the default device from the menu.
Click Apply and choose OK to save changes.
Method 6: Check Windows Update
The next thing is to check your laptop is updated with the latest version of Windows. Sometimes outdated versions of Windows are also the cause of sound problems on your laptops. However, most users fixed their sound issues on their laptops after updating to the latest version of Windows. You may have to follow some steps to check the latest version of the update on your laptop.
- Go to the system settings by using the Windows search at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the Update & Security option from the settings.
- If you see your windows are “up-to-date,” Then move on to the next method.
- If you see “Updates are Available,” then click and install it on your laptop.
- By clicking install, your laptop will be Restarted for a minute.
After updating, if your device still has the same issue, then follow the other methods for fixing them.
Method 7: Try Headphones or External Speakers
If still, the problem is occurring on your Dell Alienware M17 laptop, then the other thing is to try the other external speakers and headphones. Sometimes, there is a problem with the speaker or audio on your laptop.
To solve the problem, connect the external speakers or headphones to your laptop and try to check if the sound is playing or not. If the issue persists while using headphones and external speakers, move on to other methods to fix them.
Method 8: Restart the Windows Audio Service
Windows has a committed audio service that plays all types of sound on the system. Sometimes, restarting the audio service maintenance fixes the audio issue on the laptop. You may have to follow some steps to learn how to restart the audio service on the laptop.
- Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to launch the Run prompt.
- Type “services.msc” in the Run field. It will open the service screen.
- Look for Windows Audio.
- Right-click on it and choose Restart.
- Do the same for Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) services.
If the system is restarted, check whether the sound issue is fixed. If not, then move on to other methods.
Method 9: Contact Dell Support
If you are trying all the methods mentioned above and still are facing the audio issue on your Dell Alienware M17 laptop, then you might be able to contact Dell support. Here is how you can contact them.
- Visit the Dell website and navigate to the support page
- Enter your Dell product number or select your product from the list
- Select the issue you need help with and then select the contact option
- Enter your contact information and then wait for a Dell representative to contact you
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is there no sound on the Alienware M17 laptop?
There are many reasons for the audio problem on Alienware M17. The most common reason is that the audio driver is not up to date. You can try updating the audio driver to see if it can fix the problem.
How to fix the no sound on the Alienware M17 laptop?
There are some solutions to fix the no-sound problem on Alienware M17.
- Update the audio driver
- Check the sound settings
- Restart audio services
- Run the audio troubleshooter
- Set the default audio device
How to update the audio driver?
There are many ways to update the audio driver, and you can update the driver manually or automatically. You can go to your sound card manufacturer’s website and download the latest sound card driver. Then install it on your computer.
This article is about Alienware M17 no sound issues and tells you how to solve them. Hopefully, one of these solutions will fix the problem, and you’ll be able to enjoy the audio on your Dell Alienware M17 laptop again. If you have any ideas or questions, please leave your comment below.