What is Odin Software?
Odin Software is a utility software that is developed and utilized internally by Samsung. The software can be used to flash a Custom Recovery firmware image instead of the Stock recovery firmware image to a Samsung device running on Android. You can also run the software for unbricking an Android device.
An interesting aspect of this software is that there is no official declaration of its release. Confused? Well, Samsung has never officially released this software. The release is suspected to be part of an unintentional and unethical leak. Being a Windows-only software, they do not provide any support for other operating systems, though it is possible to use Wineskin on the Odin executable which allows it to run on OS X (Apple).
Heimdall is another software similar to Odin. Odin has released 19 versions.
What are the Features of Odin?
Odin software is a flash tool that allows users to flash custom firmware, stock firmware, or any root package (tar or MD5 file) to the Samsung phones/devices (running on Android). Let’s look into some of the features of the Odin software:
Flash Stock Firmware
- Odin allows its users to flash stock firmware on their Samsung smartphones, tablets and other devices. The software is normally used to restore the device to working condition. If in case you are faced with bootloop, application crash, or any software related issue, then using the Odin software is your best and safest bet.
Flash Custom Firmware
- Odin allows its users to flash custom firmware. Custom firmware is user modified firmware. It allows users to flash the firmware on their Samsung smartphones, tablets, and devices.
Flash Recovery File
- Apart from flashing the complete stock firmware or custom firmware, Odin also allows users to flash the Stock or Custom Recovery on their Samsung smartphones, tablets, and devices.
- Odin allows its users to flash stock or custom Kernels on their Samsung smartphones, tablets, and devices to tweak the performance of the device.
Flash Root Package
- Odin allows its users to flash custom root packages on their Samsung smartphones, tablets, and devices to achieve Root Access.
How to flash Samsung Stock/Official ROM via Odin:
Now let’s move on to how to flash Samsung Stock/Official ROM via Odin. You will need to follow the steps provided below one by one:
- Download and install the device driver software on your computer:
- Visit Samsung official website to find the concerned software for the driver.
- Find the driver software for your device. Install the same into your computer.
- You will need to download and install Kies. Part of Kies will install or update the required drivers.
- Once the drivers are installed or updated, do not forget to restart your computer.
- Download and extract the Stock ROM (can be either official or original firmware).
- Your best choice to download the stock firmware of Samsung device would be SamMobile. There’s an alternative where you can go to Samsung Updates, XDA Forum or Google to find the correspondent firmware of your device.
- Click “Firmware” and then enter your device model.
- Download GT-I8552 Stock Firmware on SamMobile.
- Select country or type in certain info to filter, eg.Baseband version.
- After downloading it as a normal compressed file, you will need to extract/unzip it to the certain location in your PC. Choose the folder path as per your preference. *.bin,*.tar and *.tar.md5 are the file types that Odin uses.
- Download and extract Odin on your PC.
- You can download Odin V3.10.7 directly from SamMobile.
- Another fine alternative to download Odin from is AndroidMTK. The platform offers a detailed list of Odin versions along with working download links.
- However, the best way is to simply Google “Odin download”. You get the most relevant results.
- After downloading it on your PC, extract it to Desktop or another location you’d prefer.
- After extracting, you will need to right-click to “Open as Administrator”. This is way to prevent certain issues from happening.
- Boot your Samsung device into Download mode.
The next step is to enter you phone/device into download / Odin mode. Follow the steps mentioned below to accomplish the same.
- Power off your phone/device.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key, Home Key, and Power Key.
- When you feel your device vibrating, release the Power key while still holding the Volume Down key and Home key.
- This will boot your device into download mode.
- Keep track of the warnings before entering into the download / Odin mode.
- Press Volume Up key to enter into Download mode. The screen which will display a green robot figure and a message “Downloading… Do not turn off target!!
- Boot into download mode.
- Congratulations! Now you are into download mode.
- Connect your device to PC.
- Your device should be automatically recognized by Odin now that you are into download / Odin mode.
- Observe the lower-left corner of the Odin interface. It should display a message that says “Added!”
- In the meantime, you should be able to see a light-blue box at the ID:COM section stating “COM:3.” The number displayed depends on the USB port you have plugged the device cable into.
- Click “PDA” or “AP” to add the tar.md5 file that you have extracted and then click on “Start”.
- Whether it is “PDA” or “AP”, it will depend on the version of Odin that you have downloaded. But the md5 file goes to either “PDA” or “AP”.
- After adding the file, you will need to click on “Start” to begin the flashing process.
Note: You should not remove or operate on your device until the flashing process in shown to be completed.
Once the flashing process is completed and if everything has gone as planned, you should be able to see a big green box saying “RESET” or “PASSED.” This will depend on the version of Odin you have downloaded. By now, the device has finished rebooting and it is safe to remove/unplug the phone/device.