Evil Dead: The Game is a survival horror video game developed by Saber Interactive and published by Saber Interactive & Boss Team Games, and based on the Evil Dead franchise. It will feature cooperative gameplay and player versus player combat. The title has received plenty of positive reviews, but some players unexpectedly report an Evil Dead Crashing issue on Startup on the Windows PC.
There is nothing new among the PC gamers with the startup crashing or the game not launching issues whatsoever. Most of the titles come with multiple issues or bugs for the PC version rather than gaming consoles. We should also mention that the game is new in the market, and developers will take some time to fix common bugs or errors. Meanwhile, affected players might have to wait for official solutions and try performing workarounds manually to fix them.
- Why Does Evil Dead Keep Crashing?
- Fix: Evil Dead The Game Crashing on Startup on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Update Graphics Drivers
- 3. Update Windows
- 4. Run the game as an administrator
- 5. Close Background Running Tasks
- 6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
- 8. Force Run the Game in DirectX 11
- 9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
- 10. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 11. Close the game from Background Apps
- 12. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
- 13. Perform a Clean Boot
- 14. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 15. Verify Integrity of Game Files
- 16. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
- 17. Update Evil Dead
Why Does Evil Dead Keep Crashing?
It’s worth checking out all the possible reasons behind such an issue before getting into the troubleshooting guide below. Most game crashes may trigger due to multiple reasons such as an outdated game version, older graphics drivers, unnecessary background running tasks, overlay apps-related issues, problems with startup apps, etc. Additionally, the outdated game launcher, outdated system version, etc., can cause crashing issues.
Whereas outdated DirectX, antivirus program blocking issues, outdated Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, overclocked CPU/GPU, and more might conflict with game launching issues. Here we’ve shared multiple workarounds below that should gonna help you out.
Fix: Evil Dead The Game Crashing on Startup on PC
You can follow all the troubleshooting methods until the problem has been fixed for you. It’s worth regularly checking out the game’s system requirements before jumping to any conclusion.
1. Check System Requirements
It’s better to always keep checking your PC specifications and the game’s system requirements to ensure whether the game is compatible enough or not. However, if you’re not sure whether your PC can run the game properly or not, don’t worry. Here we’ve provided the minimum system requirements for your ease.
Minimum System Requirements:
- CPU: Core i5-4590 / AMD FX-8350
- RAM: 8 GB
- OS: Windows 10 64 bit
- VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 960 / Radeon R9 270
- PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
- VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB
Maximum System Requirements:
- CPU: Core i7-7700 / Ryzen 2600X
- RAM: 16 GB
- OS: Windows 10 64 bit
- VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti / Radeon RX 5600 XT
- PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
- VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 6144 MB
2. Update Graphics Drivers
It’s always required to update graphics drivers on your Windows system to run all the programs smoothly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Display adapters category to expand the list.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change the effects.
Alternatively, you can manually download the latest version of the graphics driver and install it directly from the official website respective to your graphics card manufacturer. Nvidia graphics card users can update the GeForce Experience app via the Nvidia official site. Meanwhile, AMD graphics card users can visit the AMD website.
3. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users and PC gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, etc. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
4. Run the game as an administrator
Make sure to run the game exe file as an administrator to avoid user account control regarding privilege issues. You should also run the Steam as an administrator on your PC. To do this:
- Right-click on the Evil Dead exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
Make sure to do the same steps for the Steam client too. It should help you to fix the Evil Dead issue on your PC.
5. Close Background Running Tasks
Unnecessary background running tasks or programs can eat up a lot of system resources like CPU or Memory usage reducing system performance. Hence, the startup crashing, lagging, and not loading issues appear quite often. Simply close all the unnecessary background running tasks completely. To do this:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab > Click to select unnecessarily running tasks in the background and consuming enough system resources.
- Click on End Task to close it one by one.
- Once done, restart your system.
Now, you can check whether you’ve fixed Evil Dead Crashing on your PC or not. If not, follow the next method.
6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Make your game priority in the higher segment via the Task Manager to tell your Windows system to run the game properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on the Evil Dead game task.
- Select Set Priority to High.
- Close Task Manager.
- Finally, run the Evil Dead game to check if it is crashing on PC or not.
7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
You should try reinstalling the latest version of DirectX from the official Microsoft website on your PC/Laptop. You just need to download and install the DirectX installer package and run it. Remember that you’ll require DirectX 11 or above to run Evil Dead game properly.
8. Force Run the Game in DirectX 11
It’s also recommended to run the game in the DirectX 11 version forcefully using the command option.
- First, launch the Steam client > Go to LIBRARY.
- Locate and right-click on the Evil Dead game.
- Click on Properties > Select GENERAL from the left pane menu > Type -dx11 under the Launch Options.
- Now, simply go back and launch the game. If prompted, click on the radio button next to the Play option of Evil Dead.
9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
The chances are that maybe your default Windows Defender Firewall protection or any third-party antivirus program is preventing the ongoing connections or game files from running properly. So, temporarily disable or turn off the real-time protection and firewall protection. Then you should try running the game to check if Evil Dead Crashing on PC issue has been fixed or not. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result.
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- A new page will open > Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings.
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Similarly, you have to turn off the Windows Security protection too. Just follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings.
- Next, you’ll need to simply turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
- You can also turn off cloud-delivered and Tamper protection if you want.
10. Set High Performance in Power Options
If, in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options, just set the High-Performance mode for better results. Although this option will take higher power usage or battery usage. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
This should fix Evil Dead Crashing issue on your PC in most cases. However, if none of the methods worked for you, follow the next one.
11. Close the game from Background Apps
If somehow Evil Dead game is still going through issues, turn it off from the Background Apps feature on your PC. To do so,
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Privacy > Scroll down from the left pane and select Background apps.
- Scroll down and look for Evil Dead game title.
- Just turn off the toggle next to the game title.
- Once done, close the window and restart your computer.
This method should help you out. However, if this doesn’t fix the issue, you can follow the next method.
12. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Ensure to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer to completely fix multiple gaming issues or errors. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open up the Start Menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it from the search result.
- Now, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer, and restart the system to change the effects.
13. Perform a Clean Boot
Some of the apps and services may start automatically while booting the system right away. In that case, those apps or services will use a lot of internet connection and system resources. If you’re also feeling the same, make sure to perform a clean boot on your computer to check for the issue. To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- The Task Manager interface will open. Here go to the Startup tab.
- Then click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn them off from the startup process.
- Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
14. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
A couple of popular apps do have their overlay program that can eventually run in the background and cause issues with the gaming performance or even launching issues. You should turn them off to fix the issue by following the steps below:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
- Click on Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on the Games tab > Select Evil Dead.
- Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
If in case, you’re unable to find out the Game Bar option, just search for it from the Windows Settings menu.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
- Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
Also, keep in mind that you should disable other overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, or any other third-party overlay apps that always run in the background.
15. Verify Integrity of Game Files
If, in case, there is an issue with the game files and somehow it gets corrupted or missing, then make sure to perform this method to easily check for the issue.
16. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
It’s also worth mentioning not to enable CPU/GPU overclocking on your PC if your game is crashing or stuttering. We can understand that overclocking CPU/GPU can greatly impact gameplay, but sometimes it may also cause issues with the bottleneck or compatibility. Just set the frequency to default for optimal performance.
17. Update Evil Dead
If, in case, you haven’t updated your Evil Dead game for a while, then make sure to follow the steps below to check for updates and install the latest patch (if available). To do this:
- Open the Epic Launcher client > Go to Library > Look for Red Dead Redemption 2 from the left pane.
- On your Red Dead Redemption 2 application, you must tap on the three-dot icon.
- Make sure to check the auto-update to get a new update installation automatically.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.