Evil West is a third-person shooter video game developed by Flying Wild Hog and published by Focus Entertainment. The game is now available for the PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S. However, just like other games, it has some bugs or issues, and the Evil West Controller Not Working issue on the PC is troubling a lot of players.
Well, this specific issue isn’t new, and plenty of unfortunate PC gamers have found it in multiple games, which conflicts with the controller on the computer. It may also be possible that Evil West is a newly launched title, and that’s why some players are experiencing such kind of issues. Now, if you’re also one of the victims of such an issue, follow this troubleshooting guide to resolve it at your end.
- Fix: Evil West Controller Not Working on PC
- 1. Reboot the PC
- 2. Reconnect your Controller/Gamepad
- 3. Unplug Mouse/Keyboard or Other Peripherals
- 4. Press the Alt+Enter keys
- 5. Enable Controller Configuration
- 6. Switch the Screen Refresh Rate to 60Hz
- 7. Select High Performance in Graphics Settings
- 8. Use a Wired Controller
- 9. Configure Steam Big Picture settings
- 10. Reset or Calibrate Game Controller
- 11. Update Game Controller Firmware
Fix: Evil West Controller Not Working on PC
It becomes one of the irritating things because it happens even after properly connecting the gamepad or controller with the PC. Whereas some PC games may not be able to detect the controller or the inputs which can also trouble you a lot. The chances are high that your controller driver might also not be properly installed or missing on the PC. Even a connectivity issue with the USB can also cause such issues. Luckily, there are multiple ways to fix it.
1. Reboot the PC
It’s highly recommended to restart your PC after closing the game and Epic Games Launcher. Mostly a normal reboot of the system may fix multiple temporary glitches or cache data issues. So, you can try it out.
2. Reconnect your Controller/Gamepad
You’ll have to exit the Evil West game and close Epic Games Launcher. Next, please turn off your controller/gamepad, and turn it on again. Then connect to your PC Once done, ensure to relaunch the Evil West game on the PC to check for the issue.
3. Unplug Mouse/Keyboard or Other Peripherals
You should also unplug all the external peripherals from your PC, such as the keyboard, mouse, printer, USB drives, and more. Then, reconnect the necessary USB devices to the PC to check for the issue. If the problem gets fixed, there is an issue with the USB device or your PC system had some glitch earlier.
4. Press the Alt+Enter keys
If you’re in the gameplay sessions and the controller gets disconnected automatically or can’t get recognized suddenly, then make sure to press the Alt+Enter keys on the keyboard to get out of the game screen. Then going back to the game screen again may fix the issue whatsoever.
5. Enable Controller Configuration
It’s also a better idea to enable the controller configuration on Steam by following the steps below.
- Open Steam > Go to the Settings section under the Steam tab.
- Click on the Controller tab.
- Click on the General Controller Configuration option.
- Under the Controller Settings window, enable the configuration support option.
6. Switch the Screen Refresh Rate to 60Hz
You can follow the steps below to switch the screen refresh rate of your monitor to default 60Hz (recommended). In some cases, a higher screen refresh rate can also trigger several glitches. To do so:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Go to System > Click on Display.
- Scroll down a bit on the right pane > Click on Advanced display settings.
- Just check and select the 60Hz refresh rate. [If it’s already set to 60Hz, keep it]
7. Select High Performance in Graphics Settings
Sometimes issues with the graphics performance preference on the PC can cause several conflicts. You can follow the steps below to set high performance in graphics settings.
- Click on the Start menu > Search for Graphics Settings and click on it.
- Make sure that the Desktop app is selected > Click on Browse.
- File Explorer window will open and go to the installed Epic Games Launcher folder.
- Go to the Evil West folder > Select the GoatSimulator3.exe application.
- Click on Add to include it in the list.
- Now, search for the game in the list > Click on Options of Evil West.
- Then click on High Performance.
- Click on Save then try launching the game again to check for the issue.
8. Use a Wired Controller
It’s suggested to use a wired/generic controller to the PC by using a USB cable to check for the issue. The chances are high that somehow the Bluetooth connectivity of the controller can’t hold its nerves with your PC’s connectivity or vice versa.
9. Configure Steam Big Picture settings
Steam might go through a lot of trouble recognizing your game controller on the PC due to incorrect settings. You can configure Steam Big Picture Settings to use a controller with the game that you’re playing. In order to configure Steam Big Picture Settings to fix issues with the Steam app not recognizing your Xbox, PlayStation, or any other controller. To do this:
- Launch the Steam client > Under the Taskbar Corner, right-click on the Steam icon.
- Select Big Picture. > Select LIBRARY.
- Select Installed in the left pane.
- Now, go to the Evil West game.
- From the left menu, select Manage Game Options.
- Under the Steam Input section, select Controller Options.
- Choose Steam Input Per-Game Setting to Forced Off.
- Once done, your connected controller should work properly.
10. Reset or Calibrate Game Controller
In some cases, it’s recommended to reset or recalibrate the controller if it doesn’t work properly. To do so, you can follow the steps below.
- First, connect the Xbox Controller to your PC using the USB cable.
- Make sure the controller is getting detected by your computer. To check it:
- Open Device Manager by pressing the Win+X keys and clicking on device manager.
- If you can’t see the controller device then scan for hardware changes.
- Next, open Control Panel > Go to All Control Panel Items > Go to Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on the Controller icon > Select game controller properties.
- Try testing out all the controller buttons and triggers of the controller.
- Once done, just reset it to default settings or calibrate.
11. Update Game Controller Firmware
Last but not the least, you can check for the game controller firmware update manually by following the steps below. It’s necessary to install the pending update to improve bugs or errors. To do so:
- Open the Xbox Store app > Download the Xbox Accessories App.
- Now, connect the gamepad via USB and turn it on.
- Locate your gamepad/controller in the list.
- Click on the three dots icon > Click on the No update available button.
- You will see the Continue button and click on it.
- Next, you’ll need to wait until Windows PC completes the update.
- Once done, connect the controller to your PC, and check for the issue.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.