Matrioshka Games and Wandering Wizard have done a great job by releasing Expedition Agartha as a hardcore multiplayer First Person Looter Survival video game where players can explore all around the world and battle against ruthless enemies to reveal the secrets of Agartha. Though the title has already received mostly positive reviews on Steam, it seems that the Expedition Agartha game keeps crashing on startup on PC which makes it unplayable.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue, you can follow this troubleshooting guide completely to fix it. Here we’ve mentioned a couple of possible workarounds for you that might help a lot. When it comes to the startup crashing or the game not launching issue on the PC, the chances are high that somehow your PC’s software or hardware is conflicting with the game files to run properly. So, we can’t fully blame the developers for sure.
- Why Expedition Agartha is Crashing?
- Fix: Expedition Agartha Keeps Crashing on Startup on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Disable fullscreen optimizations
- 3. Run the Game File as an Administrator
- 4. Update Graphics Drivers
- 5. Update Windows
- 6. Check for Optional Updates
- 7. Switch to Dedicated GPU
- 8. End Background Processes
- 9. Verify and Repair Game Files
- 10. Adjust Steam Overlay and SteamVR Options
- 11. Delete Temporary Files from System
- 12. Adjust Nvidia Control Panel Settings
- 13. Disable Windows Firewall
- 14. Turn Off Antivirus Protection
- 15. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 16. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
- 17. Perform a Clean Boot
- 18. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 19. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
- 20. Update Expedition Agartha
Why Expedition Agartha is Crashing?
Sometimes the crashing issue with the PC games may appear due to several possible reasons that most of the affected players can’t understand. Mostly the PC compatibility issue with the game’s system requirements may occur the startup crashes or not launching the game. While an outdated game version, corrupted or missing game files, an outdated game launcher, missing or outdated graphics drivers, DirectX issues, etc can be major reasons.
Additionally, unnecessary background running tasks, issues with the antivirus or firewall blocking, startup apps issues, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables issues, overclocked CPU/GPU, issues with overlay applications, temporary system files, etc can also cause startup crashes on the PC. It’s recommended to follow this full troubleshooting guide until the problem gets fixed. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
Fix: Expedition Agartha Keeps Crashing on Startup on PC
Ensure not to skip any method until the problem is fixed because even a basic workaround can help you a lot.
1. Check System Requirements
Before jumping into any other methods, make sure to check for the game’s system requirements and whether your PC is compatible to run the game or not. If in case, your PC configuration isn’t meeting the system requirements of the game then you may encounter several possible issues whatsoever. Sometimes it can also be possible that your PC specification is outdated or on the lower side. You can check out the requirements below.
- OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
- Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-2300 or AMD FX-6300
- Memory: 6 GB RAM GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (1GB) or AMD Radeon HD 7770 (1GB)
- Storage: 10 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 64 bit
- Processor: Intel Quad Core i7 3770K or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
- Memory: 8 GB RAM GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
- Storage: 10 GB available space
2. Disable fullscreen optimizations
It seems that disabling the fullscreen optimization option did work for some users. To do so:
- Open the Steam launcher > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Expedition Agartha > Click on Manage.
- Select Browse local files > Go to Expedition Agartha installed location.
- Now, right-click on ExpeditionAgartha.exe > Select Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab > Tickmark Disable fullscreen optimizations to enable it.
- Once done, click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
3. Run the Game File as an Administrator
It’s also recommended to always run the game executable file as administrator access on the Windows PC so the User Account Control (UAC) can allow all the access properly. Sometimes the system may think you’re trying to run the game without authorizing it. This is a one-time process for each game. Make sure to follow the steps below to do so:
- Right-click on the Expedition Agartha exe application file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
- Now, you can just double-click on the game exe file to launch it.
Once done, you can also do the same steps for your specific game launcher (E.g., Steam Launcher) used to run the game. So, you’re giving the same UAC access to the game launcher too.
4. Update Graphics Drivers
You should try checking for the graphics driver update on your Windows PC and installing the latest version to ensure no update is pending at your end. An outdated or missing graphics driver can trigger issues with properly functioning graphics-intensive programs. To do that:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list to open the interface.
- Now, you’ll need to double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name you’re using to bring the context menu.
- Next, click on Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- The system will automatically check for the available update.
- If an update is available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to restart your PC to apply the changes.
If you cannot find any update, then make sure to head over to the official graphics card website and search manually for the latest update. If a new version is available, just download the file on your PC and install it. Whatever graphics card you use, jump to the link below as per the manufacturer.
5. Update Windows
If in case, you’re running the outdated Windows OS version or build then make sure to follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Windows Update from the left pane > Check for updates.
- If there is an update available, you should select Download and Install.
- Wait for the update process to be completed.
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply changes.
6. Check for Optional Updates
You should also check for the optional updates by following the steps below because some of the device driver updates and security patch updates may appear in a separate section.
- Press the Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Windows Update from the left pane > Click on Advanced Options.
- Now, scroll down a bit and find the Additional options section.
- Click on Optional updates > If there is an update available, make sure to select the update.
- Click on Download & install > Reopen the system once the update is installed.
7. Switch to Dedicated GPU
You should also ensure that your using the dedicated GPU on your Windows computer instead of using the integrated HD graphics. To do so:
For Nvidia GPU:
- Right-click on the desktop screen to open the context menu.
- Now, click on Nvidia Control Panel to open it.
- Head over to 3D Settings > Select Manage 3D Settings.
- Open the Program Settings tab and choose Expedition Agartha from the drop-down menu.
- Next, select the preferred graphics processor for this program from another drop-down menu.
- Finally, your Nvidia GPU should show as High-Performance Nvidia Processor.
- Save the changes and reboot the PC.
For AMD GPU:
- Right-click on the desktop screen to open the context menu.
- Now, open Radeon Settings > Navigate to Additional Settings.
- Go to Preferences > Select Power > Choose Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
- Select Expedition Agartha from the list of installed applications. [If the game isn’t in the list, you can select Add Application and include the game exe file]
- Finally, select High Performance from the Graphics Settings option > Reboot the PC.
8. End Background Processes
The chances are high that somehow your system becomes laggy or gets overloaded by a lot of unnecessary background running tasks. These tasks basically consume system resources like CPU, Memory, or internet bandwidth which can seriously impact the game launching experience. If those tasks (third-party) aren’t necessary for you then try closing them completely by following the steps below.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc shortcut keys on the keyboard to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Make sure to select the task individually that you want to close.
- Then click on End Task to close it.
- As mentioned, do the same steps for each task that you want to close.
- Once done, close the Task Manager window, and restart your PC.
9. Verify and Repair Game Files
Sometimes missing or corrupted game files on the PC may occur some issues with the game application launching properly or start crashing. It doesn’t mean that you’ll always get an error message or warning notice after crashing. A minor but useful game file may get corrupted or missing quite easily. Luckily, most of the game launchers do come with a useful feature to automatically verify and repair game files online. To do so:
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Expedition Agartha from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
10. Adjust Steam Overlay and SteamVR Options
Some Expedition Agartha PC players have also reported that they’re facing the crashing issue a lot. It’s most probably happening to the Steam users and we have a possible workaround to fix it. To fix it:
- Open the Steam client on the PC > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Expedition Agartha from the left pane > Select Properties.
- Now, click on General > Make sure to Turn OFF the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option.
- You should also Turn OFF the Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active option.
11. Delete Temporary Files from System
It’s also recommended to manually delete all the stored temporary files from the system by following the steps below. Maybe a corrupted temporary file or dump is conflicting with the actual game to run properly.
- Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type %temp% and hit Enter to open the Local Temporary folder under AppData. [C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp]
- Here you’ll see a bunch of temporary data files listed > Just press the Ctrl+A keys to select all files.
- Then press the Shift+Delete keys to permanently remove those temporary files.
- Some temp files may not get deleted. So, just skip those files, and delete the rest of them.
- Once done, you should restart the computer to apply changes.
12. Adjust Nvidia Control Panel Settings
As per the recommended Nvidia control panel settings, we’ve provided some adjustments that you should also try at your end in case, the Expedition Agartha game is crashing a lot. This method is only applicable to Nvidia graphics card users.
- Right-click on the desktop screen (blank) to open the context menu.
- Now, select Nvidia Control Panel to open it > Select Manage 3D settings.
- Click on Program Settings > Select Expedition Agartha from the list. [If not available, click on Browse and add it to the list]
- Make sure to change or adjust some of the settings mentioned below:
- Image sharpening – Off
- Low latency mode – Off
- Power Management – Prefer maximum performance
- Texture filtering – Quality – Performance
- Threaded optimization – On
- Once done, save changes, and reboot the PC to change effects immediately.
13. Disable Windows Firewall
If in case, you’re using the default Windows Firewall protection on your PC then you should turn it off temporarily and check for the issue again. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result.
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings.
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
14. Turn Off Antivirus Protection
You can also try turning off the Windows Defender option on your PC to ensure there is no antivirus software blocking the game files to run properly.
- Press the Windows + I shortcut keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings.
- Next, you’ll need to simply turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
If in case, you’re using any other antivirus program on your PC then make sure to turn it off.
15. Set High Performance in Power Options
Mostly the Windows system is set on the default Balanced Power Mode which offers both performance and power consumption at the same time. But sometimes, this mode can occur performance issues on your PC when it comes to graphics-hungry programs. It’s better to set the power mode to High Performance, which can improve the tasks. However, this mode will consume more power or battery juice than normal. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type control panel and search for it.
- Open Control Panel from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
- It might fix the Expedition Agartha crashing issue on your PC.
16. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
If your Windows computer isn’t running on the latest version or somehow the required version of the Microsft Visual C++ Runtime then you may encounter several issues whatsoever. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open the Start Menu.
- Now, type apps & features to search.
- Open Apps & Features from the search result.
- Click on the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) from the list individually.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete uninstallation.
- Next, visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer > Restart the system to change effects.
17. Perform a Clean Boot
As per some reports, multiple programs are always running in the background from when the Windows system boots up. So, those services may consume the system resources and internet data without your knowledge. It’s better to perform a clean boot and turn off unnecessary startup applications by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows + R shortcut keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- Click on the Startup tab from Task Manager.
- Make sure to click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn it off. [Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact]
- Finally, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
18. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
Sometimes a couple of applications may come with an additional overlay app that basically helps the streamers or gamers a lot. However, these overlay apps can eventually conflict with the game files to run smoothly and may cause several issues like FPS drops, black screen issues, lags, glitches, etc. You should try disabling the overlay apps manually before launching the game again to cross-check whether the crashing issue has been fixed or not. To do so:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
- Select Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on the Games tab > Select Expedition Agartha.
- Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
- Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes, and launch the game again.
There are some other overlay apps that can cause trouble for you something as MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, etc. You should turn them off as well.
19. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
It’s also worth mentioning not to enable CPU/GPU overclocking on your PC if your game is crashing or stuttering a lot. We can understand that overclocking CPU/GPU can make a huge impact in improving gameplay but sometimes it may also cause issues with the bottleneck or compatibility too. Just set the frequency to default for optimal performance.
20. Update Expedition Agartha
Even an outdated game patch version can trigger several potential issues on the gaming device that leads to crashing issue, lags, stutters, and more. It’s recommended to check for the game update periodically and install the latest update whenever available. You can follow the steps below to do the same.
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Click on Expedition Agartha from the list of installed games on the left pane.
- Now, the client will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, you’ll see the Update option > Just click on it.
- Wait for a couple of minutes or so until the game update completes. [Depends on the storage space and internet connectivity]
- Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and launch the Expedition Agartha game again.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.