Kinetic Games did release Phasmophobia in 2020 as a 4-player online co-op psychological horror video game that offers a paranormal activity for the players to get into ghost hunting. This investigative horror title becomes so much popular and gets overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam. Unfortunately, there are several players encountering the Phasmophobia Mic Not Working issue on the PC.
Now, if you’re one of the victims facing such an issue then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide to fix it. Well, as per multiple reports online, it seems that Phasmophobia players are having issues with the microphone not working or voice chat regarding glitches during the gameplay sessions with their friends or teammates. So, a working microphone access to the game is always required.
Fix: Phasmophobia Mic Not Working
The chances are high that you’re having some conflicts which might be triggering the microphone not working issue on your PC. Most probably, you’ve incorrectly configured the microphone to the PC, the mic volume is muted, an outdated audio driver, issues with the outdated Windows version, somehow the in-game audio settings have some issues, and more. So, without further ado, let’s get in.
1. Reboot the PC
First of all, you should try restarting the PC manually after closing all running programs to ensure there is no issue with the system glitch or cache data on your machine. The chances are high that somehow a temporary glitch is troubling you to run the Phasmophobia game without microphone issues.
2. Check the PC Audio Settings
The second thing you can do is check out the PC audio settings by following the steps below. Sometimes a low volume level or a muted volume configuration can cause such issues whatsoever. To do this:
- Right-click on the Speaker icon in the system tray.
- Now, select the Open Sound Settings menu.
- Click on the Device properties option.
- Make sure to manually adjust the volume slider to 50% or more.
- Restart the PC to check for the issue again.
3. Check the Game Audio Settings
In some cases, issues with the in-game audio settings or issues with the microphone settings can trouble you a lot. It’s better to check the in-game sound settings menu by following the steps below.
- Launch your Phasmophobia game via Steam.
- Click on Options from the in-game menu.
- Now, make sure the Microphone option is set to the correct device.
- Then click on the Test button to check Voice Recognition.
- You should also check if the Master Volume is set to high or not. Set it to 100.
- Click on Apply to save changes.
4. Update the Audio Driver
It seems that multiple affected players have reported the outdated audio driver on their Windows computers. If you’re also using the outdated sound driver for a while then make sure to check for updates by following the steps below:
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.
- Right-click on the correct audio device that you’re using.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes.
5. Update Phasmophobia
If in case, you haven’t updated your Phasmophobia game for a while then make sure to follow the steps below to check for updates and install the latest patch (if available). To do this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Click on Phasmophobia from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- It may take some time to install the update > Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and then try launching the game again.
6. Verify and Repair Game Files
If in case, your game files become corrupted or missing for some unexpected reasons then verifying and repairing the game files using the game launcher can help you a lot. Otherwise, you may encounter several issues with the game launching, connectivity, performance-related issues, audio or graphical glitches, etc. To do this:
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Phasmophobia from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer, and check if the Phasmophobia Mic Not Working issue is fixed or not.
7. Grant Microphone Access to Phasmophobia
The chances are high that granting the microphone access to the Phasmophobia game executable might fix the microphone not working issue on the PC. Sometimes the Windows system and microphone don’t give access to a couple of installed programs which is quite common. To do so:
- Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type ms-settings:privacy-microphone > Click on OK.
- Go to the Microphone option > Enable the Allow apps to access your microphone toggle.
- Turn On the Phasmophobia program from the list to use the microphone.
- Now, reboot the PC to check for the issue.
8. Set Your Microphone as Default
It’s also recommended to set your active microphone (connected) as a default one on the Windows computer to ensure you’ve selected the right device. If the microphone isn’t selected that you’re trying to use then you will surely encounter similar issues in most scenarios.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Settings.
- Click on System > Go to Sound.
- Here you’ll find out the Output option > Make sure to select the specific microphone device.
- If the microphone isn’t listed, just click on Add device to pair a new output device.
- Once done, go to More Sound Settings > Click on the Recording tab.
- Now, select the correct microphone > Click on Set default.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
9. Reset the Network Settings
If none of the methods worked for you then make sure to perform a reset of the networking settings on the PC by following the steps below to ensure there is no issue with the connectivity glitch. Do keep in mind that after resetting the network settings, you’ll need to manually connect to the Google DNS or Wi-Fi network if you were using it.
- Open the Start menu > Type and search Network Reset.
- Now, click on Network Reset from the result.
- Click on Reset Now > If prompted, confirm the same.
- Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes. It should fix the Phasmophobia Mic Not Working issue.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.