Rundll32.exe is the key component of the Windows Operating system. It checks if all the programs of the Windows are functioning well or not. If Rundll32 is corrupted or missing, it will interrupt the smooth performance of the system, as a result, the “Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working” error will arise on the screen.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Rundll32 Has Stopped Working Error?
The “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working” error needs to be quickly addressed for the stable execution of the Windows OS programs. If you are encountered with the same error then, this article can help you to fix the “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working” error. Users can try the reliable solutions given in this article and fix the error on their own.
Fix 1: Update the Folder Options (File Explorer) Settings:
The Folder Options Settings allows users to manage how the files and folders display in File Explorer. The users can change the Folder Options Settings to fix the “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working” problem. Users can refer to the steps provided here to Update the Folder Options Settings.
- Go to the Start icon and type Control Panel in the Search Box.
- On the Control Panel window, look for the View by in the right-top corner and click on it.
- Now select either the Small Icons or Large Icons option from the drop-down list.
- Then click on the Folder Options or File Explorer Options.
- Click on the View Tab in the Folder Options or File Explorer window.
- Under the Advanced Settings, click on the Always Show Icons, Never Thumbnails
- Hit the Apply and OK buttons respectively to Save the Settings.
After finishing the process, users should reboot their PC and check for the error.
Fix 2: Rolling back Device Drivers to Earlier Version:
If the “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working” problem occurs after installing any specific application or after updating system drivers, then users can restore it to an earlier state. Users can follow the steps given below to uninstall any specific Application from the System.
- Firstly, hit Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Box.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” in the text box and press the OK button.
- It will display the list of all installed programs in the system. Users can right-click on the recently installed program.
- Then click on the Uninstall option.
- Follow the instructions given on the screen to finish Uninstallation procedure.
- Finally, restart the system.
The users who recently updated their drivers can follow the given steps to Rollback Drivers.
- Open the Windows Run dialog box.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and hit the OK button.
- It will display all the devices list in the Device Manager window. Expand the Driver you recently updated then right-click on it and select Properties.
- Next, go to the Drivers tab.
- Then select the Roll Back Driver option from the list.
- Follow the prompted instructions to complete the procedure.
- Finally, Reboot the system and check for the error.
Fix 3: Update your Graphics Card Drivers:
Updating the Graphics card drivers of your system is one of the ways to fix the “Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working” error. Users need to have an active internet connection to Update Graphics Card Drivers. Users can refer to the steps given below to update the Graphics Drivers of the System.
- Launch Windows Run dialog box.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” in the text box and press the OK button to open Device Manager.
- Expand the Display Adapters section and look for the Graphics Card Drivers.
- Right-click on the Graphics card adapter and Select the Update Drivers option from the context menu. The Integrated Graphics Card users can see their Graphics Card name under the Display Adapter Section. The users who use External Graphics Cards can Update their Drivers Using this Method.
- Thereafter, select Search automatically for updated driver software The Windows will search and install the new driver for your system.
- After completing the Driver Update process, Reboot your system, and check for the error.
Alternatively, users can visit the official page of the Manufacturer of the Graphics card and download the latest drivers for your System. Users can easily select the correct drivers for the system on the Graphics Card Manufacturer’s site. If the updated version of Graphics Card Drivers is not available then the user can Rollback process by using respective options.
Fix 4: Run a Full System Scan:
If updating Graphics Card Drivers unable to resolve the “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working” error, then users can scan their complete system with the help of Antivirus. Sometimes, the malware or the spyware present in your device prevents the host process from starting. As a result, the system states the error “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working”. We recommend users run the deep System Scan to fix the error.
Fix 5: Update your Windows:
It is a good idea to keep your Windows Operating System up-to-date. Users can check for Windows Update to fix the “Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working” error. The following steps will assist in updating the Windows OS. Remember that users should have an active internet connection for the Windows update process.
- Click on the Start icon and launch the Settings application.
- Go to the Update and Security and select the Windows Update option.
- In the Windows Update, click on the Check for Updates link. Users should not turn off the system while updating Windows.
- Restart the device and check if the error is present.
In this way, users can easily get rid of the “Rundll32 Has Stopped Working” issue by using the above troubleshooting steps. All the fixes provided in this article are safe to follow and tested by the experts.
There are several third-party tools available online that scan the system for the corrupted, missing system files and repair them automatically. We hope this article is useful for the users who face the “Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working” issue. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.