Silhouette Studio is a free basic version tool for designers on Windows computers but somehow several users are encountering a couple of issues with this tool. Silhouette Studio Won’t Update issue is one of them and pretty much frustrating because there can be multiple newly introduced features that might be useful for designers to work on a new project. Therefore, the affected Silhouette Studio users can’t be able to use those new features if they can’t update the tool to its latest version. If you’re also one of the victims, make sure to check out this troubleshooting guide to fix it.
There can be several reasons behind such an update issue for a Windows 10 application. Now, talking about the reasons, it may highly possible that somehow your Windows OS build isn’t updated for a while. In that scenario, an outdated Windows OS build can cause a couple of issues with designing or photo/video editing tools most of the time. Scanning the system files can also fix hard disk or app-specific issues mostly. The chances are also high that somehow your Windows system needs a clean boot which can come in handy.
How to Fix If Silhouette Studio Won’t Update
First of all, you should try following the methods below, and then you can try an alternative tool if in case, the Silhouette Studio update won’t work for you. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s get into the guide below.
1. Update Windows Build
- Click on the Start Menu > Select Settings icon.
- Go to Update & Security > Click on Check for updates from the Windows Update section.
- You can click on Check for updates. If any update is available, it’ll automatically start updating.
- However, if there is a feature update available instead of the security patch or cumulative update, you should click on Download and install.
- Make sure to wait for the update to install completely.
- Finally, your computer will restart automatically to apply changes. If not, you can manually reboot your PC/Laptop.
2. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
It’s not necessary to receive Windows updates every time. Therefore, if there is no update available or you think that you’ve skipped any update previously, make sure to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to check for the update-related issues. To do that:
- Click on the Start Menu > Go to Settings.
- Choose Update & Security > Click on Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Go to Additional troubleshooters from the right pane window.
- Click on the Windows Update (Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.) option.
- Now, hit the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Have some patience until the troubleshooting gets completed.
- If prompted, click on Apply this fix to resolve the issue.
- Finally, you can follow the on-screen prompts to continue the process.
Now, you can check if the Silhouette Studio Won’t Update issue has been fixed or not.
3. Allow Background Apps
Well, turning on the Allow Background Apps options for your necessary programs on Windows 10 system is really useful if in case, the specific program can’t run properly or doesn’t fetch updates from its server.
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Privacy > Scroll down to the bottom of the left pane.
- Click on the Background apps option.
- Make sure that the first-one toggle is turned on that says ‘Let apps run in the background’ under the Background Apps section.
- Similarly, you have to choose the Silhouette Studio app to turn on the background running process.
However, if you found that the option is already enabled for the Silhouette Studio app, you should turn it off and on again.
4. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
By default, Windows Defender Firewall comes enabled in the Windows system and blocks suspicious or unnecessary incoming or outgoing connections for system security purposes. However, if you think that somehow the Windows Firewall is preventing your Silhouette Studio app to download & install updates from its server, make sure to temporarily disable the Firewall protection. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu and type Windows Defender Firewall and click on it from the search result.
- Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- Then choose to Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both the Public and Private options.
- Click OK to save changes.
5. Turn Off Windows Security Protection
It’s always highly recommended to simply disable the default Windows Security protection on your computer even if you’re not using it. This will definitely stop blocking the real-time protection and may help your app or program run properly when it comes to software updates. To do this:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Select Windows Security from the left pane.
- Choose Virus & threat protection from the right pane window.
- Go to Manage settings from the Virus & threat protection settings.
- Now, click on the Real-time protection toggle to disable it.
- If prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
- Finally, check whether the Silhouette Studio Won’t Update problem gets fixed or not.
6. Run SFC Scan
SFC or System File Checker can automatically find out and try solving several corrupted files. It can be considered as a utility tool for the Windows system.
- Click on the Start Menu > Type cmd.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt program from the search result.
- Now, choose Run as administrator > If prompted by UAC, click on Yes for admin permission.
- Type the following command and hit Enter to execute the System File Checker process.
- Have some patience until the process completes.
- Once done, close the command prompt window and reboot your PC/Laptop.
However, if the Silhouette Studio Won’t Update problem still persists, then follow the next method.
7. Perform a Clean Boot
A “Clean Boot” means when the Windows system starts with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. It indicates that there are no unnecessary background tunning tasks or startup programs are running while the system boot. By default, the clean boot in Windows 10 comes disabled. To perform it:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open up the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig and hit Enter to open up the System Configuration window.
- Now, click on the General tab > click to select Selective startup.
- Uncheck the Load startup items checkbox.
- Next, click on the Services tab > Click to check the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Select Disable all > Click on Apply.
- Then click on the Startup tab > Go to Open Task Manager.
- Once the task manager window appears, click on the Startup tab again.
- Now, select the high startup impact programs or tasks and click on Disable one by one.
- Finally, close all windows and restart your computer to check for the issue.
8. Use an Alternative Tool
If none of the above-mentioned methods worked for you, try using an alternative graphics designing tool like Adobe Illustrator instead of the Silhouette Studio on your PC/Laptop. There is no need to give an introduction to Adobe programs anymore. The Adobe Illustrator is a refined vector image editor mostly to create or improve digital artwork for graphics designing smoothly. You can download the Adobe Illustrator tool directly from the official Adobe website.
That’s it, guys. We assume you’ve found this guide useful. For further queries, you can comment below.