The Stanley Parable is an interactive drama video game designed and written by developers Davey Wreden and William Pugh. The game carries themes such as choice in video games, the relationship between a game creator and player and predestination/fate. Though the game has received a lot of positive reviews on Steam, it seems that plenty of players are facing The Stanley Parable Keep Crashing issue on the Startup on the Windows PC.
Now, if you’re one of the victims of such an issue, it’s recommended to follow this troubleshooting guide to complete the startup crashing or the game not launching problem. It becomes one of the common issues among PC gamers because plenty of games are going through the same crashing problem no matter whether your PC is powerful enough or not or even which Windows OS version you’re using. So, without further ado, let’s get into it.
- Why Does The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe Keep Crashing?
- Fix: The Stanley Parable Keep Crashing on Startup on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Update Graphics Drivers
- 3. Update Windows
- 4. Run the game as an administrator
- 5. Close Background Running Tasks
- 6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
- 8. Force Run the Game in DirectX 9
- 9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
- 10. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 11. Close the game from Background Apps
- 12. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
- 13. Perform a Clean Boot
- 14. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 15. Verify and Repair Game Files
- 16. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
- 17. Update The Stanley Parable
Why Does The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe Keep Crashing?
The chances are high enough that The Stanley Parable game is crashing a lot on the PC due to multiple possible reasons that you can’t understand. Mostly the startup crashing issue appears due to the PC hardware incompatibility with the game’s system requirements. On the other side, it may also be possible that an outdated or corrupted Windows software is troubling you which can be fixed manually without waiting for the patch update by the developers.
Additionally, you may encounter crashing issues due to the outdated game patch, corrupted/missing game files, outdated or corrupted GPU drivers, background running tasks, startup apps issues, outdated game launcher, antivirus software issues, outdated DirectX version, and more. Meanwhile, issues with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, issues with overlay apps, an overclocked CPU/GPU, PC compatibility issues, etc can also occur crashes.
Fix: The Stanley Parable Keep Crashing on Startup on PC
It’s also recommended to follow all the methods one by one until the crashing issue gets fixed for you. Sometimes a common workaround can also resolve the issue quickly without doing anything else. It’ll definitely save your time and effort. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the guide below.
1. Check System Requirements
You should try checking the game’s system requirements to make sure if there is an issue with the PC compatibility or not. Sometimes your PC configuration doesn’t meet the requirements to run the game which can eventually trigger issues. Whereas an outdated PC build or low-end specifications can also trouble you a lot. If in case, you’re not sure whether your PC is capable to run the game or not, you can check out the details below.
Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Windows XP/Vista/7/8
- Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b (ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher – *NOT* an Express graphics card).
- Storage: 3 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
2. Update Graphics Drivers
It’s always required to update graphics drivers on your Windows system to run all the programs smoothly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Display adapters category to expand the list.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change the effects.
Alternatively, you can manually download the latest version of the graphics driver and install it directly from the official website respective to your graphics card manufacturer. Nvidia graphics card users can update the GeForce Experience app via the Nvidia official site. Meanwhile, AMD graphics card users can visit the AMD website for the same.
3. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users as well as PC gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, and more. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
4. Run the game as an administrator
Make sure to run the game exe file as an administrator to avoid user account control regarding privilege issues. You should also run the Steam client as an administrator on your PC. To do this:
- Right-click on The Stanley Parable exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
Make sure to do the same steps for the Steam client too. It should help you to fix The Stanley Parable issue on your PC.
5. Close Background Running Tasks
Unnecessary background running tasks or programs can eat up a lot of system resources like CPU or Memory usage literally reducing system performance. Hence, the startup crashing, lagging, and not loading issues appear quite often. Simply, close all the unnecessary background running tasks completely. To do this:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab > Click to select tasks that are unnecessarily running in the background and consuming enough system resources.
- Click on End Task to close it one by one.
- Once done, restart your system.
Now, you can check whether you’ve fixed The Stanley Parable Crashing on your PC or not. If not, follow the next method.
6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Make your game priority in the higher segment via the Task Manager to tell your Windows system to run the game properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on The Stanley Parable game task.
- Select Set Priority to High.
- Close Task Manager.
- Finally, run The Stanley Parable game to check if it crashing on PC or not.
7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
You should try reinstalling the latest version of DirectX from the official Microsoft website on your PC/Laptop. You just need to download and install the DirectX installer package and run it. Keep in mind that you’ll require DirectX 9 or above to run The Stanley Parable game properly.
8. Force Run the Game in DirectX 9
It’s also recommended to run the game in the DirectX 9 version forcefully using the command option. If your PC is running an outdated DirectX version then make sure to forcefully try running The Stanley Parable game. To do so:
- First, launch the Steam client > Go to LIBRARY.
- Locate and right-click on The Stanley Parable game.
- Click on Properties > Select GENERAL from the left pane menu > Type -dx9 under the Launch Options.
- Now, simply go back and launch the game. If prompted, click on the radio button next to the Play option of The Stanley Parable.
9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
The chances are that maybe your default Windows Defender Firewall protection or any third-party antivirus program is preventing the ongoing connections or game files from running properly. So, temporarily disable or turn off the real-time protection and firewall protection. Then you should try running the game to check if The Stanley Parable Crashing on PC issue has been fixed. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result.
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- A new page will open > Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings.
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Similarly, you have to turn off the Windows Security protection too. Just follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings.
- Next, you’ll need to simply turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
- Additionally, you can also turn off cloud-delivered protection, Tamper protection if you want.
10. Set High Performance in Power Options
If, in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options, just set the High-Performance mode for better results. Although this option will take higher power usage or battery usage. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
This should fix The Stanley Parable Crashing issue on your PC in most cases. However, if none of the methods worked for you, follow the next one.
11. Close the game from Background Apps
If somehow The Stanley Parable game is still going through issues, turn it off from the Background Apps feature on your PC. To do so,
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Privacy > Scroll down from the left pane and select Background apps.
- Scroll down and look for The Stanley Parable game title.
- Just turn off the toggle next to the game title.
- Once done, close the window and restart your computer.
This method should help you out. However, if this doesn’t fix the issue, you can follow the next method.
12. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Make sure to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer to fix multiple gaming issues or errors completely. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open up the Start Menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it from the search result.
- Now, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer, and restart the system to change the effects.
13. Perform a Clean Boot
Some of the apps and services may start automatically while booting the system right away. In that case, those apps or services will definitely use a lot of internet connection and system resources. If you’re also feeling the same, make sure to perform a clean boot on your computer to check for the issue. To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- The Task Manager interface will open. Here go to the Startup tab.
- Then click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn them off from the startup process.
- Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
14. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
It seems that a couple of popular apps do have their own overlay program that can eventually run in the background and cause issues with the gaming performance or even launching issues. You should turn them off to fix the issue by following the steps below:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
- Click on Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on the Games tab > Select The Stanley Parable.
- Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar option.
If in case, you’re unable to find out the Game Bar option then just search for it from the Windows Settings menu.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
- Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
Also, do keep in mind that you should disable some other overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, or any other third-party overlay apps that run in the background always.
15. Verify and Repair Game Files
If in case there is an issue with the game files and somehow it gets corrupted or missing, then make sure to perform this method to easily check for the issue.
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on The Stanley Parable from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
16. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
It’s also worth mentioning not to enable CPU/GPU overclocking on your PC if your game is crashing or stuttering a lot. We can understand that overclocking CPU/GPU can make a huge impact in improving gameplay but sometimes it may also cause issues with the bottleneck or compatibility too. Just set the frequency to default for optimal performance.
17. Update The Stanley Parable
If, in case, you haven’t updated The Stanley Parable game for a while, then make sure to follow the steps below to check for updates and install the latest patch (if available). To do this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library > Click on The Stanley Parable from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- It may take some time to install the update > Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.