Xbox One is a great alternative to the PlayStation, and many users even prefer it over Sony’s gaming console. We get online and offline playing modes in an Xbox One, and it is a delight to have it in both modes. And, to play games on Xbox One in online mode, you need to subscribe to Xbox Live. However, some users are facing issues with this particular feature.
Recently, some Xbox One users have reported that they cannot connect to Xbox Live via their consoles for some reason. Sometimes the issue even goes away on its own only to make an appearance again soon. So to help those troubled Xbox One console users, we have compiled this guide. Here, we have listed all the things that might be causing the issue and what you can do to fix that. So without any further ado, let’s get into it.
Fix Xbox One won’t connect to Live:
The reason behind this problem could be anything from a network issue to a software glitch. Here, we have listed out everything that you can try to start connecting to Xbox Live again.
Check Xbox Live Server Status:
Xbox Live servers go down from time to time. When that happens, you get an error message on the screen that says that you cannot connect to the Xbox Live servers. So if you see this message, it is time you check the server status.
Go to Xbox Live Status Page by clicking here. You will get all the information you need about what is up and running and what needs some work. If you see something wrong with these servers, you will have to wait for Xbox’s team to fix it from their end. Since the issue is on that end, you can do nothing about it other than waiting for it to be fixed.
If you see nothing wrong with the servers, go on ahead with the next solution.
Soft reset the console:
Soft resetting the console is basically rebooting it entirely, and it only takes a couple of minutes to do so.
- Press and hold the Xbox button until you see the light behind it blinking off. It means that the console is now turned off.
- Now unplug the power cord and wait for a couple of minutes.
- After that, plug in the cable again and press the Xbox button to turn on the console.
This should get things running for you for connecting to Xbox Live. If you still see an error, though, try the next solution.
Change IP settings and DNS settings on Xbox Live:
The IP settings and DNS settings could also be the cause behind your console not connecting to Xbox Live.
- Click on the Settings icon on the left side of your Xbox Live.
- Then select All Settings.
- Now go to Network and then select Network settings on the right pane.
- Now select Advanced Settings.
- Select IP settings and set it to Automatic.
- Now, you will be back on the Advanced Settings menu.
- Select DNS settings and set it to Automatic.
Now try connecting your Xbox One to Xbox Live. If you still see an error message, try the next solution.
Perform network connection test:
You can perform a test on your console to check the problem behind the network issue.
- Press the Xbox button to open up the guide.
- Go to System > Settings.
- Now go to General > Network Settings.
- Here, select Test multiplayer connection.
If an error message shows up here, take a note of the error. Now, go to the solutions page of Xbox Live and there you should find the solution to that error.
If you are still struggling with the same problem, try the next solution.
Restart your modem:
As simple as it may sound, the problem could be with your home network connection too. Maybe there is a glitch preventing the connection to Xbox Live. Restarting your modem entirely should fix that problem.
- On the back of your modem, you will see a small reset button inside a small hole. Use a toothpick or pin to get into that hole, and then press and hold the reset button for about 30 seconds.
- You will notice the LED on the modem blinking. Once that happens, let go of the button and wait till the LED becomes steady again.
Now try connecting your Xbox One to Xbox Live again. If you still see an error message, try the next solution.
Try a different WiFi connection:
The problem could be solely related to your ISP(Internet Service Provider) too. Sometimes, an ISP could block out certain websites, which could be a possible reason behind this issue.
So try using your friend or family’s WiFi connection for your Xbox One. It could actually work.
If it does work, you should call your ISP customer care right away and let them know about the connectivity issue you are having on their network.
Yes, there is a possibility that there is something wrong with the hardware of your homework network too. But if everything else is working fine and you are only struggling to connect to Xbox Live, then it is definitely an ISP related issue.
Check the cables:
You should check the cables connected to your modem and router and make sure everything is working fine there. And if you are using a wired connection, check the ethernet cables connected to the Xbox One as well.
Factory reset the console:
Factory reset on the console will erase everything that is stored on this device.
As a last resort, you can try this solution as well.
- Press the Home button on your controller.
- Select the gear icon to open up the Settings page.
- Select System from the Settings menu.
- Select Console Info, and under it, you will find Reset Console.
- Select Reset Console and then select Reset and remove everything.
Now your Xbox One should connect to Xbox Live without any problems.
So this is all fixing Xbox One not connect to the Xbox Live issue. If you have any questions or queries about this article, comment below, and we will get back to you. Also, be sure to check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more useful information.