The Halo: Combat Evolved is one of the most popular games of recent times. It is a sci-fi game that involves a first-person shooter narrative style. The player, along with Cortana (an artificial intelligence), battles with the aliens uncovering the secrets of Halo, which is a ring-shaped artificial world.
Though, Halo: Combat Evolved became available for Windows in 2003. The game’s popularity led to various sequels. Recently, there has been an error reported by the Windows 10 users while playing the legacy version of the Halo: Combat Evolved.
Table of Contents
Reasons for Halo CE DX Fatal Error:
- There is a report on missing DirectX 9 installation. Generally, the sub error suggests this is to be the reason for the error. But it is not true for all cases.
- In most cases, the error occurs due to the game’s incompatibility with Windows 10.
How to Fix the Error?
You have several ways to fix the error, depending on what is causing these troubles. Here’s a quick tutorial:
Install DirectX 9.0b:
You should ensure first that your gaming computer has all the DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files, which are very necessary to play the game. You have to follow an easy guide to install the DirectX web installer. You should allow everything to install that it proposes.
- Go to this link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en )
- And select whichever language that suits you, then click on the download option.
- Avoid the Microsoft bloatware recommendations by clicking on No thanks and continue with the DirectX End-user Runtime Web installer button.
- Download the exe installer, double-click on it, accept the UAC (User Account Control).
- After following the screen prompts, the installation will complete. Restart your computer, launch the game, and check if the issue is still there or not.
A lot of chances there that you will face the issues again. If you’re facing the trouble again, follow the next tutorial:
How to install Bungie’s patch for Windows 10?
Once you install the patch, it will install over the already present game files itself.
- First, open your browser and go to this link ( http://halo.bungie.net/images/games/halopc/patch/110/haloce-patch-1.0.10.exe )
- Download the patch and double-click the executable. Click on the UAC (User Account Control) to allow admin access.
- The installer automatically finds the Halo CE game files. By overriding them with the new patch, make it compatible with Windows 10.
- Restart the computer; see if the issue is resolved.
Forcing the launch executable to run in compatibility mode with Windows XP :
While many users have found this method to be effective, it can be troublesome as it doesn’t fix the issue and causes certain maps to trigger a crash during the loading period.
- On the launch shortcut of Halo CE, right-click and choose the properties.
- After clicking on the properties, you’ll find Halo CE’s executable, select the compatibility bar at the top.
- Select the box which says Run this program with compatibility mode, click on Windows 7 from the options, then click on Apply.
- Save all the changes, restart to see if the issue is still there or not.
In case your issues don’t resolve, follow the next tutorial.
Halo CE Custom Edition:
Here’s a quick guide on how to install this version. You can go to this link (http://hce.halomaps.org/?fid=410 ) to find the custom edition of Halo: Combat Evolved.
- After the download is complete, double-click on the Installation executable and click Yes at the User Account Control prompt to grant admin access.
- Next, agree with the License Agreement and choose a location to start the installation.
- Input your license key and complete the installation, then restart your computer.
- Launch the game and download every update that is available for the game.
On the 10th anniversary of the original game launch a high-definition remake, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary released for Xbox 360. The recent edition, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, became available on Windows PC in March 2020. Halo: Combat Evolved wasn’t originally made for the new infrastructure of Windows 10. So there are chances of facing many inconveniences, especially caused due to incompatibility (including the Halo CE DX Fatal Error).
Luckily, Bungie (the original studio behind this game) released a patch by working closely with some community members that allows the legacy game to run smoothly on Windows 10. Try the different tutorials given above if you’re facing the errors and keep playing this amazing game. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.