TWRP Recovery is one of the best custom recoveries that you can get for your smartphone. Moreover, it is required to be flashed on your device before you can actually go ahead and root your device. TWRP has extended support to a lot of smartphones and recently they have been increasing this list by adding more smartphone support. However, there is an unofficial version of the TWRP for the latest foldable device from Samsung, the Galaxy Fold [SM-F900F/SM-F907B].
The TWRP recovery v3.3.1-17 appeared first on XDA developers and full credit to ianmacd, for sharing this version of TWRP for the Samsung Galaxy Fold. The supported variants of the Galaxy Fold on which you can install the TWRP recovery are SM-F900F/SM-F907B. The current images are compatible with all ASJ and ASK revisions of the Samsung Galaxy Fold’s firmware. The F907B images have been tested by the developer personally on the Galaxy Fold 5G. The F900F images, however, are currently untested. We would recommend you to follow the guide carefully and stepwise to avoid any issues on your smartphone. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself.
Quick Specs Review of Samsung Galaxy Fold
The Samsung Galaxy Fold is Samsung’s most innovative and first foldable phone. Though it got into a broken-screen fiasco, the device was re-launched quickly after the issue was resolved. It is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC processor which is paired with 12GB of RAM. In the display department, it sports a Foldable AMOLED display of 7.3 inches with 1536 x 2152 pixel resolutions. The Galaxy Fold is available in options of 12GB/512GB of memory and storage. It runs on the Android 9 Pie out of the box and is expected to get the Android 10 update soon in the near future. Note that there is no dedicated memory card slot on this device.
In the camera section, it has a triple camera setup that houses 12MP+12MP+16MP lens which comprises a wide, telephoto, and an ultra-wide sensor, respectively. For selfies, there is a dual-camera setup with a 10MP + 8MP lenses. Moreover, the device also has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. Under the hood, this phone comes with a non-removable Li-Po 4380 mAh battery and supports fast battery charging 15W (Quick Charge 3.0).
How to install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Fold [SM-F900F/SM-F907B]
Before we head-on with the procedure of installation of the TWRP on the Galaxy Fold, you must ensure that your device has an unlocked bootloader. If you have not yet unlocked the bootloader then, follow the below guide to unlock the bootloader on your Samsung Galaxy Fold smartphone:
Steps to unlock the bootloader on Galaxy Fold
- Go to Settings.
- Then go to Developer Options and select the OEM Unlock option.
- Now reboot to Device Unlock mode in order to unlock the bootloader of your device.
Once you are done with the unlocking of the bootloader then, you can go ahead with the steps mentioned below for the actual installation of TWRP on your Galaxy Fold device.
- Compatible Galaxy Fold device – SM-F900F/SM-F907B
- Make sure that you have an unlocked bootloader. Follow our guide here.
- Create a complete backup of the data stored on your device.
- Charge your device to at least 60% to avoid any mishap.
- If you are installing TWRP on an unrooted device, it is crucial that you also flash the attached “vbmeta.img” file at the same time.
Steps to install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy Fold
You can follow out the complete guide on how to install TWRP on any Samsung phone by clicking the button below:
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold, like all other 2019 Samsung devices running Android 9 Pie, utilises file-based encryption (FBE) by default.
- To remove this encryption from your device, please flash the Samsung multi-disabler after installing TWRP, and then reformat /data again.
- Do not skip this step, even if you have already formatted /data one or more times thus far.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you guys liked this post and were able to install TWRP recovery on your $2000 Galaxy Fold smartphone. Let us know in the comments below if you come across any issues while following any of the above-mentioned steps. Until the next post… Cheers!