The South-Korean tech giant Samsung offers plenty of smartphones from the budget segment to flagship-level including some tablet devices as well. All the Samsung Galaxy devices come with a stock recovery mode that offers a few options to reboot, wipe data, etc. But if you want to flash a custom firmware or install root access or any mod file, then you will require a custom recovery like TWRP. Here we’ve shared the guide on How to Flash TWRP Recovery on any Samsung Phone quite easily.
Now, in order to install a custom recovery, you will need to unlock the device bootloader at first. A custom recovery offers full data or system backup & restore advanced factory reset, the option to install flashable ZIPs or image files, and more that you will simply don’t find on any stock recovery. Android is known for its customizations due to the stock firmware and stock recovery. As both these stock ROM and stock recovery don’t bring too many options to play around with it.
What is TWRP Recovery?
Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP Recovery is a useful and popular custom recovery which is open-source software. The touch-screen enabled interface allows users to flash third-party firmware and back up the system or data easily like never before. For Android customization lovers or developers, a custom recovery is a much-needed tool or software.
Additionally, you can install the kernel, modules, root or unroot, take Nandroid backups, etc. Meanwhile, you can wipe system partitions, internal storage, data, cache, vendor, etc very easily.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- Backups of partitions in TAR or raw Image format
- Restore backups from internal storage, external SD storage or OTG devices
- Install Custom Firmware
- Install flashable ZIPs and image files
- Partition wiping
- Delete System, Cache, Vendor, Partition, User Data, etc
- Install Root or Unroot by flashing ZIPs
- Terminal access
- ADB Root Shell
- Theme Support
- Possible decryption support depending on the device
Latest Supported Devices
Also Works in all-new 2021 models.
- Samsung Galaxy M31
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20+
- Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Note10 Lite
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite
- Samsung Galaxy A01
- Samsung Galaxy A71
- Samsung Galaxy A51
- Samsung Galaxy Xcover FieldPro
- This guide will only work on any Samsung Phone.
- A PC/Laptop and a USB cable are required.
- Charge your phone at least up to 60% for a smoother process.
- Install the Samsung Kies Software on your computer.
Take Backup of your device
Taking a full data backup is very important before performing any software upgrade or flashing any firmware. It will be useful to keep a backup because if in case anything goes wrong, you can easily get back your data by restoring it. Follow this guide to take a full backup without Root.
Install Samsung USB Drivers
A USB Driver is a software or program that runs on the PC/Laptop when you connect your handset to the computer using a USB cable. Therefore, you can easily transfer files or flash any file using ADB & Fastboot method on your device. Samsung USB Drivers also perform the same task for Samsung devices only. You can download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
Charge your Samsung Device
Before doing anything on your phone, make sure to charge your Samsung device up to 50%-60% at least. However, you can fully charge your handset and then proceed to the firmware installation or custom recovery installation method.
Download Odin Flash Tool
Odin is the most popular flashing tool for Samsung devices that offers powerful features to flash firmware or install root or install custom recovery on your Samsung device easily. Additionally, the Samsung device users can flash kernels by using the ODIN flash tool. Download the Odin Flash Tool.
A bootloader is the system code that runs on a device before the operating system starts on the device like a phone or computer. Almost all operating systems have some sort of bootloaders that initiates the command and tell the device whether to boot into system or recovery. It’s necessary to unlock the device bootloader at first if you want to install any third-party file on your handsets like custom recovery or custom firmware. Here is our guide on how to unlock the bootloader on any Samsung Galaxy device. Before that, make sure to enable the developer option, OEM Unlocking, and USB debugging.
Download TWRP Recovery
In order to install the custom recovery (TWRP) on your Samsung device, you will need to download the TWRP Recovery for your Samsung device [Just search the specific model].
Make sure to rename the downloaded TWRP file name to ‘recovery‘ for your ease while flashing it.
Boot Samsung Galaxy Device into Download Mode
- First, switch off your Samsung phone.
- Now, long-press the Home + Power + Volume down buttons together for a few seconds until you see a warning screen. [For newer devices, press and hold Volume Down + Power button together]
- Release the buttons and single press the Volume Up button on the warning screen to accept it.
- Your Samsung Galaxy device will boot into Download mode.
You can watch our video:
Watch Video on how to boot your device into download mode.
Watch Video on how to enter download mode.
Install TWRP Recovery using ODIN
- We assume that you’ve already installed the ODIN tool.
- Now, run the Odin tool as an administrator on your PC.
- Reboot your Samsung device into Download mode.
- Simply connect your handset to the computer using a USB cable.
- After connecting the USB cable, you will see a blue sign in Odin interface in the ID:COM section with a USB port number.
- Add the Recovery TWRP .tar file from that you’ve already downloaded earlier.
- Click on the AP/PDA button and load it.
- DO NOT check ‘Re-Partition’ under the Options tab.
- You can also uncheck the ‘Auto Reboot’ option (optional).
- Click on ‘Start’ and wait for a few seconds until you see a message PASS.
- Reboot the handset into recovery mode by press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together. [For newer Samsung devices, press and hold Volume Up + Power together]
- That’s it, guys. You’re done.
Did you know?
The Odin flash tool is a must need software for all the Samsung Galaxy devices if requires custom firmware flashing or custom recovery flashing. The tool will make it easy to flash firmware or any other file on your Samsung phones and the official tool also performs really well.
We hope this step-by-step guide was helpful to you and you’ve installed the TWRP Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy device successfully. You can comment below for more queries.