In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Google Apps on Huawei devices. Without going deep into the political slugfest, there is an ongoing trade war between the US and China. As a result, it has resulted in the Huawei ban in the former country. But that is not it. The government has also instructed Google to stop shipping all its apps, frameworks, and services in Huawei devices.
This has created a lot of trouble for the users having devices from this OEM. After all, one needs to introduction as to what an Android device would like without the Google ecosystem. However, thanks to the open-source nature of Android, many developers have found a handy workaround to bypass this restriction. In this guide, we will be sharing one such tip that will help you to install Google Apps on your Huawei device. Follow along.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Install Google Apps on Huawei device
- 1.1 Prerequisites
- 1.2 STEP 1: Preparing the USB stick
- 1.3 STEP 2: Restore Backup from USB Stick
- 1.4 STEP 3: Installing the Google Apps
- 1.5 STEP 4: Sign in to your Google Account
- 1.6 STEP 5: Install Google Services Framework
- 1.7 STEP 6: Install Google Play Services
- 1.8 STEP 7: Remove Google Services Framework ID
- 1.9 STEP 8: Generate a new Google Services Framework ID
- 1.10 STEP 9: Update Google Play services
How to Install Google Apps on Huawei device
There are a couple of prerequisites that your device needs to qualify. Make sure that your device meets all these requirements and only then you should proceed with the installation steps.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup.
- For this process, you will need a USB stick as well. You could either use a USB-C OTG adapter with a “normal” USB stick or a USB-C stick.
- Likewise, you will have to format your device. Without that, you wouldn’t be able to carry out the below-mentioned tweaks. So head over to the Settings menu, search for the Reset option and perform a factory reset.
- Now download the Googlepack. It contains all the necessary Google Apps and services. Credits for this file go to XDA Senior Member letschky.
That’s it. These were the required files. You may now proceed with the steps to install Google Apps on your Huawei device.
STEP 1: Preparing the USB stick
Once you have downloaded the Google pack, extract its contents and transfer them to your USB stick. You should find two folders named Google Installation and Huawei. Make sure both of them are placed in the root directory of the USB stick, and not inside any folder.
STEP 2: Restore Backup from USB Stick
- Connect the USB Stick to your Huawei device and navigate to the following location:
Settings / System & Updates / Backup & Restore / Data Backup / External Storage / USB Storage
- Now select that backup file and tap on Restore.
- It will then ask for the password, enter: firlando234
STEP 3: Installing the Google Apps
- Once the restoration is done, you should see the Lzplay app installed on your device.
- Launch it and tap on Activate followed by Allow and hit the Blue button.
- Now open the File Manager app on your device and head over to the Google Installation folder.
- Install the following six apps from that folder:
- Google android.gms.policy sidecar aps.apk
- Google Contacts Sync.apk
- GMS Core 19.apk
- Shared Library.apk
- Now proceed with the below steps to log in to your account and then install Google Apps on your Huawei device.
STEP 4: Sign in to your Google Account
- It is now time to log in to your Google Account. For that, head over to the following location:
Settings / Users and Accounts / Add Account / Google
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
- Furthermore, if you wish to add any other Google account, do so right away. You won’t be able to do it later on.
STEP 5: Install Google Services Framework
- Launch the File Manager app on your device and navigate to the Google Installation folder.
- Install the following app:
Google Services Framework-com.google.android.gsf-29-v10.apk
- After the installation, you might get constant notifications about the failure of Google Play Protect. Not an issue, it is temporary and will be fixed later on.
STEP 6: Install Google Play Services
- You will now have to uninstall the Google Play Services again. For that, head over to the below location
Settings / Apps / Apps / Show system processes / Google Play Services
- Tap on Uninstall to remove the Play Services.
- Once that is done, launch the File Explorer and head over to the Google Installation.
- Then install the GMS Core Mod 1.apk from that folder. After this, the next step to install Google Apps on your Huawei device calls for the uninstallation of Google Services Framework ID.
STEP 7: Remove Google Services Framework ID
- Again head over to the Google Installation folder and this time, install the Device ID_v1.0_apkpure.com.apk file.
- Now launch the Device Manager app and tap on “Grant Permission” in the “IMEI” field.
- In the permission dialog box that appears, tap on Allow.
- As of now, there will be a unique ID under the Google Service Framework (GFS). This needs to be deleted.
- For that, head over to the below location:
Settings / Apps / Apps / Show system processes / Google Services Framework
- Tap on Storage and then delete the data and cache.
- Now go back to the Device Manager app and see if the Unique ID has been deleted or not. If it is still there, then restart your device and then again refer to the other steps to delete the cache and data of Google services framework. Keep on doing this until the unique ID has been deleted.
STEP 8: Generate a new Google Services Framework ID
- Now that we have deleted the device ID, its time to generate a new one. For that, head over to the below location:
Settings / Apps / Apps / Google Play Store
- Delete the Cache and Data of the Play Store. When that is done, launch this app and you might get the Connection Error message.
- Tap on the Try Again button and see if you are able to access the store. You might have to tap on this Try Again button around 15-20 times in some cases.
- You could also consider clearing the cache and the data of the Google services framework as well as the Google Play Store. Let’s now move onto the last step to install Google Apps on your Huawei device by updating the Play Services.
STEP 9: Update Google Play services
- Its time to update the Google Play Services. For that, we would be uninstalling it and reinstall its modded version. So head over to the below location:
Settings / Apps / Apps / Show system processes / Google Play Services
- Now tap on the Uninstall button to remove this app from your device.
- Then launch the File Manager app and go to the Google Installation.
- From that folder, install the GMS Core Mod 2.apk
With this, the process stands complete. However, if you are still facing the Play Protect Error message, then you will have to repeat the process from STEP 6 i.e. installation of Google Play Services. However, in some cases, your device might get stuck in the middle of the process, with no way out.
If that happens, then you might have to format your device and retry all the steps from the beginning. On that note, we conclude the guide on how to install Google Apps on Huawei devices. If you still have any issues, do let us know in the comments section below. Furthermore, here are some equally useful iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out.