Viruses are something that often boosts our heartbeat. This is very much true and almost every one of us is familiar with the cons they bring and the damage they cause to our very owned electronic gadgets. One of the common viruses trending these days is the USB Shortcut Virus. It is basically the one which attaches itself to any of the USB devices. The common examples are Pen Drives, microSD cards, hard drivers are other data storage devices. In most of the cases, they depend on the VBScript which is capable to run any PC powered by Windows. Certain important tasks get automated after this. In this post, I will guide you how to remove the USB shortcut virus.
How this Virus works
It works by hiding the original files in your removable media and replacing them with their shortcuts. In such a case, not the actual file but only the shortcut remains visible. Once clicked when the removable mediaattached to another PC, the virus expands itself in the stored data, creating multiple copies of itself. Soon the same can be located everywhere in the hard drive if no actions are taken. The worst part is it creates an illusion to the users that the files have actually got opened when actually it doesn’t. Thus, the damage caused by this virus when it starts doing its job is not notified to the users. Any of the USB drive connected with the infected PC will be simply having this problem. It is necessary to take the actions because it can sometimes steal your data. Here is how to remove the same.
How to remove the USB Shortcut Virus
Method 1: Format the USB Drive
This method is simple and useful in case the data doesn’t matter to you. Completely formatting deletes everything including the virus. Follow the below steps to do this.
- Insert the drive into the USB port of the PC
- Open “My Computer”. This can be done by holding the Windows Key and pressing the key “E” at the same time
- Find the USB drive and right click on the drive
- Select the option “Format”
- Click the “Start” button and confirm
- This will format and wipe out all the data hopeful with the virus
If this method doesn’t work, try the next one
Method 2: Using the USB Virus Removal Tool
For this, you need to follow the below instructions
- First of all, simply download the USB Fix Software in your PC and install the same
- You need to remove/disable the antivirus software installed in your PC. This is mandatory
- Run the USB Fix Software. Click on the option “Clean” and wait
- Your PC will be restarted post which the results will be displayed on the screen about the virus and the action taken. That all.
Method 3: Using CMD
Here are steps to remove shortcut virus using CMD command window. The best way to remove a virus and retrieve files from the command prompt is to remove 95% viruses. This method removes the USB Shortcut Virus from all storage device. Follow the steps below.
Step 1: Open CMD
Step 2: Goto your USB Directory (Eg: “g:” )
Step 3: Type g:*.* /d /s -h -r -s (Replace “g:” With your USB drive name)
Step 4: Press Enter to finish.
That’s all that you can do. Let us know about your opinion by posting a comment in the below section.