The much-awaited OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro are available in the market officially with the flagship hardware specifications as the successors of OnePlus 7/7 Pro lineup. Both the OnePlus 8/8 Pro models support 5G and offer a punch-hole display. Now, if you’ve purchased any of the OnePlus 8/8 Pro models and customized your handset by unlocking the bootloader & now you want to relock the bootloader on OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro then you can follow this full guide.
Android is known for its unlimited customizations that most of the users can perform by following the proper steps. As the bootloader comes with each and every Android device in locked status, it’s necessary to unlock it first in order to manually flash any custom firmware, custom module, custom recovery, enable root access, and more. However, the stock firmware and its performance or stability are unmatchable. So, if you want to go back to the stock ROM again, the bootloader should be locked.
Bootloader Unlock on OnePlus Device
Each and every Android device comes with a locked bootloader from the manufacturer due to some security reasons. That’s why if you’ve unlocked the device bootloader previously, you should probably know that the system gives warning that after unlocking the bootloader, the device gets vulnerable.
In order to get additional features and customization functionalities, the Android device users unlock the bootloader or enable root access. It allows users to flash any custom firmware, increase system performance, improve battery backup, enhance visualizations, and more. However, there are some disadvantages of bootloader unlocking as well.
The unlocked OnePlus devices get Widevine L3 Certification instead of L1 quite often which restricts the system to play HD quality content online from the media streaming services like Amazon Prime or Netflix. Whereas, plenty of users mostly go back to the stock firmware due to the better stability or software update support. Therefore, the device bootloader should be locked and unrooted.
How to Relock Bootloader on OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro
Here we’ve provided a full depth guide to relock the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro bootloader by using the Fastboot method. It’s a very easy method to follow and perform as well. Make sure to follow the requirements properly before proceeding to the steps below.
- Your OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro should run on the stock firmware and stock recovery.
- Keep your phone charged more than 60% at least.
- You will require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- Backup your device data at first before doing anything.
- Developer Options and USB Debugging should be enabled on your handset.
Relock Bootloader Guide
- We assume that the USB Debugging is already enabled on your OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro.
- Go to the installed ADB folder in C drive and open the command prompt window by pressing the shift key + right mouse click.
- Next, select open a command prompt window option.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Tap on Allow to authorize the computer, if prompted.
- Use the following command to confirm that the device is connected.
- Now, you will see a serial number in the command prompt window which indicates that the device is connected.
- Follow the below command to reboot your device into Fastboot mode (Bootloader mode).
adb reboot bootloader
- As the device booted into Fastboot mode, type the following command to lock the bootloader.
fastboot oem lock
- Now, a confirmation pop-up will appear on the device screen. Use the volume buttons to navigate the highlight to “Relock Bootloader” and press the Power button to confirm it.
- The bootloader locking process will start and may take some time. So, please be patient.
- Finally, the phone will boot into the system with a locked bootloader.
That’s it, guys. We hope that this guide was helpful to you. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comment below.