Shadow Warrior 3 is a newly launched first-person shooter action-adventure video game that has been developed by Flying Wild Hog and published by Devolver Digital in March 2022. It’s is considered to be a sequel to Shadow Warrior 2 and currently available for Windows, PS4, and Xbox One platforms. Meanwhile, it seems that plenty of players are getting affected by the Shadow Warrior 3 crashing issue on the Windows PC which is quite frustrating.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue then you can follow this troubleshooting guide to fix it. Sometimes the startup crashing issue or the game not launching issue might appear due to PC-related conflicts whatsoever. This specific issue becomes quite common among PC gamers where players might encounter multiple problems apart from crashing, such as lags or stutters or black screen or glitches, etc. So, you’re not alone at all.
- Why Does Shadow Warrior 3 Keep Crashing?
- Fix: Shadow Warrior 3 Crashing on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Update Graphics Drivers
- 3. Update Windows
- 4. Run the game as an administrator
- 5. Close Background Running Tasks
- 6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
- 8. Force Run the Game in DirectX 11
- 9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
- 10. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 11. Close the game from Background Apps
- 12. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
- 13. Try Clearing Cache
- 14. Perform a Clean Boot
- 15. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 16. Verify Integrity of Game Files
- 17. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
- 18. Update Shadow Warrior 3
- 19. Reinstall Steam
Why Does Shadow Warrior 3 Keep Crashing?
Just like other PC titles, the Shadow Warrior 3 game has multiple bugs or errors that you may experience in most scenarios. We should mention that the crashing issue might appear due to some possible reasons something like an outdated game version, outdated graphics drivers, app startup issues, etc. While issues with antivirus programs, background tasks, outdated game clients, etc can also trigger crashing issues whatsoever.
The chances are high that outdated DirectX versions, outdated Windows versions, issues with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, issues with overlay apps, overclocked CPU/GPU, etc might gonna occur startup crashing issues. Well, here we’ve mentioned some workarounds for you that should fix this issue. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
Fix: Shadow Warrior 3 Crashing on PC
You should check out all the methods one by one until the problem gets fixed completely. Plenty of affected players get benefitted from these solutions depending on their reasons.
1. Check System Requirements
First of all, you should cross-check the game’s system requirements to ensure there is no compatibility issue happening at your end. Sometimes outdated PC or low-spec gaming setup may trigger such issues.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 7
- Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 * 3400) or equivalent. Intel Core i5-3470 (4 * 3200) or equivalent.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Radeon R7 260X (2048 VRAM) or equivalent. GeForce GTX 760 (2048 VRAM) or equivalent.
- Storage: 31 GB available space
- Additional Notes: The Minimum Specification listed allows gameplay experience at 30 FPS on average while using Low graphical settings and 1080p resolution.
Recommended System Requirements:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8 * 3200) or equivalent. Intel Core i7-6950X (10 * 3000) or equivalent.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Radeon RX 5700 (8192 VRAM) or equivalent. GeForce GTX 1080 (8192 MB) or equivalent.
- Storage: 31 GB available space
- Additional Notes: The Recommended Specification listed allows gameplay experience at 60 FPS on average while using High graphical settings and 1080p resolution.
2. Update Graphics Drivers
It’s always required to update graphics drivers on your Windows system to run all the programs smoothly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Display adapters category to expand the list.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change effects.
Alternatively, you can manually download the latest version of the graphics driver and install it directly from the official website respective to your graphics card manufacturer. Nvidia graphics card users can update the GeForce Experience app via the Nvidia official site. Meanwhile, AMD graphics card users can visit the AMD website for the same.
3. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users as well as PC gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, and more. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
4. Run the game as an administrator
Make sure to run the game exe file as an administrator to avoid user account control regarding privilege issues. You should also run the Steam client as an administrator on your PC. To do this:
- Right-click on the Shadow Warrior 3 exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
Make sure to do the same steps for the Steam client too. It should help you to fix the Shadow Warrior 3 issue on your PC.
5. Close Background Running Tasks
Unnecessary background running tasks or programs can eat up a lot of system resources like CPU or Memory usage that literally reduces system performance. Hence, the startup crashing, lagging, not loading issues appear quite often. Simply, close all the unnecessary background running tasks completely. To do this:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab > Click to select tasks that are unnecessarily running in the background and consuming enough system resources.
- Click on End Task to close it one by one.
- Once done, restart your system.
Now, you can check whether you’ve fixed the Shadow Warrior 3 Crashing on your PC or not. If not, follow the next method.
6. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Make your game priority in the higher segment via the Task Manager to tell your Windows system to run the game properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on the Shadow Warrior 3 game task.
- Select Set Priority to High.
- Close Task Manager.
- Finally, run the Shadow Warrior 3 game to check if it crashing on PC or not.
7. Reinstall DirectX (Latest)
You should try reinstalling the latest version of DirectX from the official Microsoft website on your PC/Laptop. You just need to download and install the DirectX installer package and run it. Keep in mind that you’ll require DirectX 12 or above to run the Shadow Warrior 3 game properly.
8. Force Run the Game in DirectX 11
It’s also recommended to run the game in the DirectX 11 version forcefully using the command option. If your PC is running on DirectX 10 or lower then make sure to forcefully try running the Shadow Warrior 3 game. To do so:
- First, launch the Steam client > Go to LIBRARY.
- Locate and right-click on the Shadow Warrior 3 game.
- Click on Properties > Select GENERAL from the left pane menu > Type -dx11 under the Launch Options.
- Now, simply go back and launch the game. If prompted, click on the radio button next to the Play option of Shadow Warrior 3.
9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
The chances are high enough that maybe your default Windows Defender Firewall protection or any third-party antivirus program is preventing the ongoing connections or game files to run properly. So, make sure to temporarily disable or turn off the real-time protection and firewall protection. Then you should try running the game to check if the Shadow Warrior 3 Crashing on PC issue has been fixed or not. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result.
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- A new page will open > Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings.
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Similarly, you have to turn off the Windows Security protection too. Just follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings.
- Next, you’ll need to simply turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
- Additionally, you can also turn off Cloud-delivered protection, Tamper protection if you want.
10. Set High Performance in Power Options
If in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options, just set the High-Performance mode for better results. Although this option will take higher power usage or battery usage. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
This should fix the Shadow Warrior 3 Crashing issue on your PC in most cases. However, if none of the methods worked for you, follow the next one.
11. Close the game from Background Apps
If somehow the Shadow Warrior 3 game is still going through issues, make sure to turn it off from the Background Apps feature on your PC. To do so,
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Privacy > Scroll down from the left pane and select Background apps.
- Scroll down and look for the Shadow Warrior 3 game title.
- Just turn off the toggle next to the game title.
- Once done, close the window and restart your computer.
This method should help you out. However, if this doesn’t fix the issue, you can follow the next method.
12. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Make sure to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer to fix multiple gaming issues or errors completely. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open up the Start Menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it from the search result.
- Now, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer, and restart the system to change effects.
13. Try Clearing Cache
Sometimes issues with the game launcher’s cache files may cause game corruption or crash during the gameplay. You should try clearing the cache from the client or server. To do so:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Steam tab from the top left side.
- Click on Settings > Click on the Download tab.
- Now, click on the Clear Download Cache button.
- Once done, log back into your Steam account and relaunch the game.
14. Perform a Clean Boot
Some of the apps and their services may start automatically while booting the system right away. In that case, those apps or services will definitely gonna use a lot of internet connection as well as system resources. If you’re also feeling the same, make sure to perform a clean boot on your computer to check for the issue. To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- The Task Manager interface will open. Here go to the Startup tab.
- Then click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn them off from the startup process.
- Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
15. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
It seems that a couple of popular apps do have their own overlay program that can eventually run in the background and cause issues with the gaming performance or even launching issues. You should turn them off to fix the issue by following the steps below:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
- Click on Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on the Games tab > Select Shadow Warrior 3.
- Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar option.
If in case, you’re unable to find out the Game Bar option then just search for it from the Windows Settings menu.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
- Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes, and launch the game again.
Also do keep in mind that you should disable some other overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, or any other third-party overlay apps that run in the background always.
16. Verify Integrity of Game Files
If in case, there is an issue with the game files and somehow it gets corrupted or missing then make sure to perform this method to easily check for the issue.
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Shadow Warrior 3 from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
17. Disable CPU or GPU Overclocking
It’s also worth mentioning not to enable CPU/GPU overclocking on your PC if your game is crashing or stuttering a lot. We can understand that overclocking CPU/GPU can make a huge impact in improving gameplay but sometimes it may also cause issues with the bottleneck or compatibility too. Just set the frequency to default for optimal performance.
18. Update Shadow Warrior 3
If in case, you haven’t updated your Shadow Warrior 3 game for a while then make sure to follow the steps below to check for updates and install the latest patch (if available). To do this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library > Click on Shadow Warrior 3 from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- It may take some time to install the update > Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and then try launching the game again.
19. Reinstall Steam
Well, if none of the methods worked for you then make sure to uninstall and reinstall the game client on your PC. To do this:
- Close the Steam client.
- Search and open Control Panel in the Start menu.
- Now, click on Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Search for the Steam client and click on Steam.
- Select Uninstall and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
- Reinstall Steam as usual and try installing your Shadow Warrior 3 game again to check for the black screen issue.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.