Purple Lamp Studios and THQ Nordic have recently launched SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake as a 3D platformer action-adventure video game on January 31, 2023. It’s currently doing pretty well among PC players on Steam. Still, somehow multiple errors or bugs are eventually troubling a lot of players and the SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake Keeps Crashing issue on Startup on the PC is one of them. However, there is nothing to worry about it.
Since the game was released, multiple players on the PC are facing several bugs or issues such as black screen, graphical glitches, lags, stutters, etc. As the title is new in the market, it’ll take some time for the developers to investigate and fix common issues. But startup crashes on the PC can trigger due to some possible reasons that you can check and resolve them. But there are potential solutions mentioned below that can fix such issues.
- Why SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake is Crashing?
- Fix: SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake Keeps Crashing on Startup on the PC
- 1. Reboot the Game and PC
- 2. Check System Requirements
- 3. End Tasks from the Background
- 4. Run the Game Application as Administrator
- 5. Update SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake
- 6. Verify and Repair Game Files
- 7. Update Windows
- 8. Update Graphics Card Driver
- 9. Change Power Options
- 10. Disable Overlay Applications
- 11. Whitelist SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake in Windows Firewall
- 12. Add an Exception for SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake in Windows Antivirus
- 13. Perform a Clean Boot on Windows
Why SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake is Crashing?
When it comes to the game not launching or the startup crashing issue with the PC games, the chances are high that your PC configuration is incompatible in most cases. At the same time, outdated system software, an outdated game version, issues with the installed software/applications, an outdated graphics driver, conflicts with the third-party applications, unnecessary third-party processes, etc can also occur crashing issues.
Meanwhile, conflicts with the antivirus software blocking, configuration with the power options, issues with the startup applications, running the game without admin access, and more can also occur in startup crashes. This particular issue becomes a common thing among PC gamers to encounter no matter which game you’re playing or what configuration you’re using.
Fix: SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake Keeps Crashing on Startup on the PC
Luckily, we’ve mentioned all the possible workarounds for you as well as the game requirements that should come in handy. Make sure to follow all methods until the problem gets fixed. Now, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
1. Reboot the Game and PC
First of all, you should reboot the game on the PC to easily refresh the system and the game cache data to avoid glitches as well as crashes while launching it.
2. Check System Requirements
The second thing is to check the system requirements of the SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake game to ensure your PC configuration meets the requirements to run properly. If in case, you’re using outdated hardware or software then the chances are high that you’re facing startup crashes due to this reason.
|Minimum Requirements:||Recommended Requirements:|
|OS: Windows 7/8.1/10/11||OS: Windows 10/11|
|Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 / Intel Pentium Dual Core G3320||Processor: AMD FX 6300 / Intel Core i5-3570K|
|Memory: 4 GB RAM||Memory: 8 GB RAM|
|Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 / Radeon HD 7870||Graphics: Radeon R9 380 / Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti|
|DirectX: Version 11||DirectX: Version 11|
|Storage: 10 GB available space||Storage: 10 GB available space|
3. End Tasks from the Background
Some of the reports claim that closing the background running tasks from your system might also help in reducing game crashes, lags, stutters, etc issues in some cases. So, you can follow the steps below to easily end unnecessary background tasks.
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and check which tasks are consuming higher resources like CPU or Memory.
- Now, click to select the specific task which is not necessary.
- Then select End Task to close it forcefully.
- Ensure to do the same steps for each third-party task which are consuming higher resources.
- Once done, restart your PC to apply changes.
4. Run the Game Application as Administrator
It’s also suggested to run the SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake game application as administrator on the PC to grant the User Account Control (UAC) permission to avoid startup crashes. You can follow the steps below to allow the admin permission for one time.
- Open the installed directory of SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Right-click on the game application to open the context menu.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Click to select the Run this program as an administrator checkbox.
- Once selected, click on Apply > Click on OK to save changes.
- Now, you can run the game to check for the issue.
You should also do the same steps for your respective game launchers like Steam or Epic Games Launcher to allow admin access.
5. Update SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake
We’ll recommend you check the game update manually by following the steps below respective to your game client. It seems that an outdated game version might trouble in launching the game due to stability issues or bugs.
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Click on SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake from the list of installed games.
- If there is an update available, click on Update.
- Wait for a while to complete the update process.
- Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Head over to Library.
- Now, click on the three dots icon next to SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Turn On the Auto Update option.
6. Verify and Repair Game Files
If you’re a PC gamer for a couple of years then you should know that some of the corrupted or missing game files might trigger the game launching issues. So, you can follow the steps below to verify and repair the installed game files on the PC to get back on track.
- Open the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake from the list of installed games.
- Click on Properties > Go to the Local Files tab.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Wait for some time to complete the repair.
- Once done, you can reboot the PC to apply changes.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Now, click on the three-dots icon next to SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Click on Verify > Wait for it to complete.
- Finally, restart the system, and check for the issue.
7. Update Windows
You can also keep checking for the Windows software update on the machine to ensure you’re running the latest OS version or the build number. Microsoft gradually provides software updates silently that you may not notice in some cases. So, you can follow the steps below easily check for the Windows update and install the same.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Windows Update > Click on Check for updates.
- If there is an update available, click on Download and Install.
- Wait for the update process to complete.
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply changes.
8. Update Graphics Card Driver
Make sure to manually check for the graphics card driver update on the PC by following the steps below to cross-check whether an outdated graphics driver is troubling the game application to run properly. There are two methods to easily check for updates and install the update of the GPU driver that you can check below.
Via Device Manager:
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Open Device Manager from the list > Then expand the Display adapters option.
- Right-click on the particular GPU card and select Update driver.
- Click on Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, the system will automatically download and install it.
- Once done, restart your system to apply changes.
You can also try directly visiting the respective website of your graphics card brand to download the latest version of the GPU driver. Once downloaded as per the graphics card model, you can simply install it on the PC.
9. Change Power Options
In some cases, issues with the balanced power options on your Windows machine might trigger performance decreases which directly affects the game launching or gameplay experience. You should follow the steps below to easily set the high-performance power mode.
- Open the Start Menu > Search and open Control Panel.
- Select Hardware and Sound > Choose Power Options.
- Now, select High Performance > Reboot the PC to apply changes.
10. Disable Overlay Applications
Sometimes third-party overlay applications might also trouble in system performance which can affect the game launching issue. Overlay apps can help users in multiple ways but they can always run in the background even though you’re not using them. That’s why disabling overlay apps will be necessary.
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Open the Discord app > Go to Settings (gear icon) at the bottom.
- Go to App Settings and click on Overlay.
- Now, turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on Games > Select SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Turn Off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Select Game Bar.
- Turn Off the Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Open the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Go to Settings.
- Select General > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
Disable Steam Overlay:
- Open Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Click on Properties > Select General.
- Turn OFF the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option.
Please Note: The chances are high that you’re using some other third-party overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB lighting software, etc. If so, you should turn them off too.
11. Whitelist SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake in Windows Firewall
You should also try allowing the SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake game program in the Windows Firewall protection by following the steps below to reduce crashes, errors, etc.
- Open the Start menu > Search and open Control Panel.
- Go to Systems and Security > Open Windows Firewall.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Now, click on Change settings > Select Allow another app.
- Select Browse > Click to select SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Click on Add and make sure to save changes.
12. Add an Exception for SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake in Windows Antivirus
Additionally, you should perform the steps below to manually add SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake as an exception in the antivirus settings to avoid blocking.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security > Click on Windows Security.
- Click on Virus and threat protection > Select Manage ransomware protection.
- Select Allow an app through Controlled folder access > Click on Add an allowed app.
- Click on Browse all apps > Select SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake.
- Click on Open to save changes.
13. Perform a Clean Boot on Windows
Another thing you can do is perform a clean boot method on your Windows machine to hide all Microsoft services from the system and then disable startup apps altogether. Several Windows users claimed that the clean boot method did help the system boot up quicker and increase the system performance in all aspects. We’ll suggest you follow the steps below to do it.
- Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to Services > Select the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Now, click on Disable all to turn off other services from booting automatically while startup.
- Click on Apply and OK to save changes.
- Once done, click on Startup > Choose Open Task Manager.
- Click on the Startup tab > Make sure to choose the particular task with a higher startup impact.
- Finally, click on Disable to turn it off, and disable the rest of the high-impact programs.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.