Starfield is the first new universe in over 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4. Their new action role-playing game takes place in a space-themed setting and is the first new intellectual property developed by Bethesda in 29 years. However, the game isn’t running well for some unfortunate players. Here, you can fix Starfield screen flickering or tearing on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and S easily.
If you are facing screen flickering or tearing issues while playing games on your PC or gaming console, then you are not alone. These issues can be a real pain and can ruin your gaming experience. In addition to black screens, lags, and screen tearing issues, you may also encounter graphical glitches such as visual shimmering or glares, which can be quite upsetting. To help you out, we have put together a comprehensive troubleshooting guide that you can follow to resolve these issues.
- Fix: Starfield Screen Flickering or Screen Tearing on PC
- 1. Enable V-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel
- 2. Try Lowering In-Game Graphics Settings
- 3. Update GPU Drivers
- 4. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
- 5. Check Your Internet Connection
- 6. Update Starfield
- 7. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
- 8. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 9. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 10. Update Windows
- Fix: Starfield Screen Flickering or Tearing on Xbox Series X, and S
Fix: Starfield Screen Flickering or Screen Tearing on PC
Mostly, issues with the in-game graphics settings or the Vertical Sync-related issue can trigger the screen flickering or unresponsiveness issue on the PC. Sometimes, issues with the software and compatibility with the PC can also cause multiple conflicts while running the game. Luckily, there are several workarounds mentioned below that can help you a lot. So, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
1. Enable V-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel
Turning on the Vertical Sync feature on your Nvidia Control Panel app for the Starfield game is recommended to avoid graphical glitches up to some extent. Remember that this method only applies if you’re using an Nvidia graphics card.
- Launch the Nvidia Control Panel from the Start menu. If it’s not installed, go to Microsoft Store and install it.
- Go to 3D Settings > Select Manage 3D settings in the Nvidia Control Panel interface.
- Select Program Settings > Click on Add and select Starfield from the list of programs on your PC.
- If the game application isn’t listed, click on Browse and head over to the installed Starfield directory on the drive.
- Simply locate the Starfield folder and add the RainbowSixSiege.exe application > Then make sure to select the game in the list and add it.
- Now, make sure to scroll down to Vertical sync > Click on it and select On to enable it.
- Restart your computer to apply changes and play the game to check for the issue again.
2. Try Lowering In-Game Graphics Settings
First, you should try lowering the in-game graphics settings on your PC or console to check if that helps you fix the frame drops or stuttering issues. Try turning off some of the display settings for the Starfield game such as texture details, shadow effect, v-sync, anti-aliasing, etc. This should improve the FPS count and performance/smoothness in gameplay.
3. Update GPU Drivers
If in case, you haven’t updated your graphics driver on the Windows computer then make sure to install the latest patch version. To do so, you’ll need to check for available updates by following the steps below:
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes immediately.
4. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
Another thing you can do is simply close unnecessary background tasks on your PC to ensure there is no additional consumption of system resources happening in the background whatsoever. Make sure to keep Starfield, Steam, and other system-related tasks running as it is. To clear out background tasks:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Select the task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task. Make sure to do the steps for each task individually.
- Finally, just restart your computer to change effects immediately, and check for the Starfield screen flickering or tearing issue.
5. Check Your Internet Connection
It would be best if you also tried checking for the internet connection on your PC whether it’s running well or not. A slower internet speed or unstable connectivity can cause issues with the game launching or fetching data from the server. You can also try switching the internet connection from wired (ethernet) to wireless (Wi-Fi) to cross-check the network connectivity problem.
If your IP address has some issues or your DNS address is troubling you a lot, then make sure to use the Google DNS address on the PC to avoid rubberbanding connection or stuttering or even lagging issues which can happen due to slow internet.
6. Update Starfield
Sometimes, an outdated game version can also bring multiple bugs or issues. It’s better to update your Starfield game by following the steps below. If an update is available, then install the latest patch. To do this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Click on Starfield from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- The process may take some time > Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and then try launching the game again.
7. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
If, in case, there is an issue with the game files and somehow it gets corrupted or missing, then make sure to perform this method to check for the issue easily.
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Starfield from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
8. Set High Performance in Power Options
If in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options, just set the High-Performance mode for better results. Although this option will take higher power usage or battery usage. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
9. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Make your game priority in the higher segment via the Task Manager to tell your Windows system to run the game properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on the Starfield game task.
- Select Set Priority to High > Close Task Manager.
- Finally, run the Starfield game to check if it freezes or not.
10. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users as well as PC gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, and more. To do that:
- Press the Win+I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
Fix: Starfield Screen Flickering or Tearing on Xbox Series X, and S
If you’re using the Xbox gaming console and facing the screen tearing issue with the Starfield game, then follow the methods below.
1. Check System Updates
We’ll highly recommend you check for system updates on the Xbox console before jumping into any other getting into any other workarounds because an outdated system version can trigger screen-related issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Press the Home button on the Xbox console to open the Dashboard menu.
- Select Settings from the bottom of the menu > Select All Settings.
- Choose to System > Select Updates.
- Select Update Console (if available) > Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update process.
- Once done, make sure to restart the console to apply changes.
2. Update Starfield
You should also update the game version on your console to ensure there is no issue with the game files. An outdated or corrupted game can easily trigger multiple issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Go to the My Games and Apps section of your Dashboard menu.
- Select Manage > Go to Updates.
- If your Starfield game has any available updates, you can find them easily.
- Select the update process and press the A button on the controller to start it.
Note: It’s worth recommending going to the Settings page > Choose Systems > Select Updates to update your game automatically whenever the console is connected to the internet.
3. Power Cycle your Xbox Console
Performing a power cycle method on your Xbox console is worth mentioning to ensure there is no issue with the device firmware or glitch. A normal reboot might not work in most cases and requires a power cycle process to clear out temporary glitches or cache data issues. To do this:
- Power Off the Xbox console > Unplug the power cable from the console and power source.
- Now, wait for around 30 seconds, and then plug back the power cable in.
- Make sure to turn on the Xbox console and check whether the screen flickering issue has been fixed or not.
4. Reinstall the Game
You should also try uninstalling and reinstalling the Starfield game on your Xbox console. Once done, make sure to reinstall it on the Xbox console to avoid game-related issues. To do this:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select My Games and Apps > Hit See all > Choose Games.
- Then select the Ready to install tab > Select Queue.
- Select the Starfield game that you’re trying to reinstall.
- Now, press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select Manage game & add-ons or Manage app.
- Choose Starfield > Select Uninstall all.
- Make sure to select Uninstall all to confirm the task.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
- Reboot the system to apply changes.
- Then press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu again.
- Hit My Games and Apps > Select See all > Go to Games.
- Select the Ready to install tab > Hit Install for Starfield.
- Wait for the installation process, and then restart the console.
5. Reset the Console
If the above methods didn’t work for you, then make sure to follow the steps below to reset the console manually simply. By doing so, you can easily clear out system glitches or cache data issues from your console whatsoever. To do so:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select Profile & System> Go to Settings > Select System.
- Go to Console info > Select Reset console.
- You’ll get a prompt like Reset your console.
- Here, you should select Reset and remove everything. [This will delete all user data, including accounts, saved games, settings, all installed apps & games, etc.]
- Although you can choose to Reset and keep your games & apps, it may not resolve the issue in most cases.
- After you select the option, your Xbox console starts deleting and resetting the system to the factory default settings.
- Wait for the process to get completed, then reboot the console.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.