Total War Saga: Troy is a 2020 turn-based strategic video game that has been developed by Creative Assembly Sofia and published by Sega. As a PC game, it’s quite common for players to encounter multiple issues while startup or during gameplay. Total War Saga: Troy is no exception here because plenty of players are experiencing Total War Saga: Troy Crashing or Won’t Launch issues on their PCs.
If you’re also one of them, don’t worry. Here we’ve mentioned all the possible workarounds that can easily fix the startup crashing or the game not launching issues whatsoever. Since there is no official fix available yet, you can try performing the mentioned solutions one by one until the problem gets fixed.
- Why Total War Saga: Troy Crashing?
- How to Fix Total War Saga: Troy Crashing or Won’t Launch
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Run the game as an Administrator
- 3. Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam
- 4. Verify Game Files on Epic Games Launcher
- 5. Repair Epic Games Launcher
- 6. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- 7. Update DirectX
- 8. Update GPU Drivers
- 9. Disable Steam in-game Overlay
- 10. Install Windows Updates
- 11. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- 12. Reinstall Total War Saga: Troy
Why Total War Saga: Troy Crashing?
It seems that the game crashes due to the system bug or in-game bug in most scenarios. Whereas an outdated game patch version, corrupted game files, incompatible hardware, outdated graphics drivers, outdated Windows build version, issues with the overlay apps or background running processes, etc can cause several issues with game launching or doesn’t launch.
Additionally, an outdated Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable file or an outdated DirectX version can also trigger game startup issues.
How to Fix Total War Saga: Troy Crashing or Won’t Launch
So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the methods below.
1. Check System Requirements
You’ll need to check whether your PC configuration is meeting the system requirements or not.
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 64 Bit
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz/Intel i7 8550U 1.80GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 460 1GB/AMD Radeon HD 5770 1 GB/Intel UHD Graphics 620
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 26 GB available space
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 64 Bit
- Processor: Intel i5-6600 / Ryzen 5 2600X
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 270X 2 GB
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 26 GB available space
2. Run the game as an Administrator
If you’re not running your video game using an administrator privilege, then it may cause some issues with the game launching or startup crashing or even the game not loading, etc. So, it’s better to simply run the game exe file as an administrator on your Windows computer to check if that fixes the problem or not. To do so:
- Right-click on the Total War Saga: Troy exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
3. Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam
Sometimes, verifying the integrity of game files can easily fix the game launching or crashing-related issues on the Windows PC. In some cases, issues with the game files or corrupted game files may cause several issues whatsoever. Luckily, these in-game file issues can be fixed by using the game launcher that you’re using. To do this:
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Total War Saga: Troy from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
4. Verify Game Files on Epic Games Launcher
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on the ‘Library’ tab.
- Click on the three dots icon at the bottom right of the Total War Saga: Troy game popup.
- Then select ‘Verify’ > Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer and then try running the Total War Saga: Troy game again.
5. Repair Epic Games Launcher
- Press the Windows (Start menu) key > Type Control Panel and open it.
- Click on Uninstall a program > Locate the Epic Games Launcher from the list.
- Then right-click on it > Select Repair.
- If prompted, proceed to the action, and wait for it to repair.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer, and try running the game.
6. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Head over to the following path on your PC:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist
- You should see the following folders:
- Just make sure to run all of these executable files that are present. (If you’ve different folders, then run the vc_redist.x64.exe file in those folders)
- Finally, restart your PC to fix the issue.
7. Update DirectX
- Go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX folder path.
- Next, run the DXSETUP.exe file to reinstall/update DirectX.
- Once done, restart your computer to apply changes.
8. Update GPU Drivers
It seems that multiple affected players have reported about the outdated graphics driver. If you’re also using the outdated graphics driver for a while then make sure to check for updates by following the steps below:
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that’s active.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes.
9. Disable Steam in-game Overlay
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Now, right-click on Total War Saga: Troy > Select Properties.
- Head over to the General section > Here just uncheck the Enable Steam Overlay checkbox.
- Go back to Library > Re-open Total War Saga: Troy to check for the not launching issue.
10. Install Windows Updates
It may possible that somehow any of the Windows bugs or system files conflict with the game to run it properly. Sometimes an incompatibility issue can also take place when you didn’t update the software for a while. So, make sure to install all the pending Windows updates one by one and keep it to the latest OS build whatsoever. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- Wait for some time until the update gets completed.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes immediately.
11. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- Click on the Start menu > Type Control Panel and click on it.
- Now, type firewall in the search box > Click on Windows Firewall.
- From the left pane, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Make sure to select Turn off Windows Firewall for the Private, Domain, and Public Network Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes, and try checking the issue.
Now, you’ll have to disable the anti-virus protection (Windows Defender) as well by following the steps below:
- Head over to the Windows Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Now, go to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Manage settings >Then turn off the Real-time Protection option.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
If in case, you’re using any third-party antivirus program then make sure to turn it off manually.
12. Reinstall Total War Saga: Troy
If none of the methods worked for you then try reinstalling the Total War Saga: Troy game to check if that helps you to fix the crashing issue or not. To do so:
- Launch the Steam client on your computer.
- Now, go to Library > Right-click on the Total War Saga: Troy game.
- Head over to Manage > Select Uninstall.
- If prompted, click on Uninstall again and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to apply changes immediately.
- Open the Steam client again and install the game again using the existing Steam account.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.