New Update on April 23, 2020: Xiaomi phones are some of the user-friendly phones. By user friendly we mean here is that the company is among OEMs like Realme, which lets the user unlock the bootloader, officially. Now, unlocking the bootloader is the first step in rooting a smartphone and rooting open a new world of customization as you can then, install custom ROMs, modded apps, tweak the system settings, and more. And if you are also the owner of a Xiaomi phone and have unlocked the bootloader or are planning to do that, then there might have been a question in your mind. Whether unlocking the bootloader will cause damage to your phone or not? If yes, then there is a piece of good news for such users.
As per a recent report, Mi India Support has clarified that simply just by unlocking the bootloader of your Xiaomi phone will not void the warranty of the device. But, the company has made one thing clear that, if the device bricks or crashes during the installation of custom ROM, it will be serviced out of warranty. You can check out the whole tweet below:
we would like to inform you that by just unlocking the bootloader your device warranty will not be void. However, if the device crashes/bricks due to Custom ROM the device will be serviced out of Warranty. We would strongly recommend you to continue use your device with MIUI.
Bootloader unlock will void device warranty??
Can you guys please check and confirm…bcz its confusing now.. https://t.co/42DZwaWKpj
— Sagar Sorathiya (@ssagar43) April 19, 2020
So, it is advised that you continue using your Xiaomi phone even if you have unlocked the bootloader of the device.
Xiaomi is a well-established smartphone brand in India and China and other smartphone markets. It is because of its high-end specifications & low and affordable price tag which has made it garner its current position which competes with all other major brands such as Samsung, HTC, etc. Another fact because of which, Xiaomi is popular is its own MIUI which is its own user interface that works along with Android OS that extends its features even further.
If you are a Xiaomi user and love experimenting with the device and extends it’s features further then you must know that Xiaomi has locked the bootloaders of its smartphone which has curtailed certain features and capability to accept and perform custom ROMs, accept Stock ROM for factory reset and other features which has quite a drastic effect on those who love extending the horizons of their hat else they can do with their smartphones. Here is a guide to what is a locked bootloader? Why exactly Android Xiaomi did it? And most importantly, how to unlock. The bootloader? We at GetDriodTips received a wholesome request to answer this question and therefore, here we are.
Why We have to Unlock Bootloader on Any Xiaomi Device?
Okay so most of the people who don’t really know what is a bootloader, it is actually a piece of code that runs before the operating system on your phone or computer is ready to start. Bootloader gives you the features such as flash custom ROMs or uses stock ROM for doing factory data reset as well as to access root files and folders. However, Xiaomi is literally locking out its bootloader so that users are unable to perform all those functions that I just mentioned. The reason why the brand Xiaomi is locking out the bootloaders of all smartphones is due to security issues. Since, an unlocked bootloaders give a user root access or say, a thief or someone who stole your phone the access to perform FDR on the stolen phone or flash the device with custom ROMs. Locking the bootloader has its own security features which makes it safe from robbers, stealers, burglars, etc. But, there is a way to unlock the bootloader which is the subject that we have discussed here.
What is Bootloader unlocking?
If you own a Xiaomi smartphone, you could have observed that your phone doesn’t allow you to get a custom ROM on your phone or it doesn’t allow you to have the root access because your phone is probably locked. It is although beneficial when you lose the phone or if it gets stolen but if you are someone who likes to extend the horizon of what you can do with your device, unlocking bootloader is the first step you can take.
Steps To Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device
Don’t worry if you don’t know the procedure to do it but still wanna do because we got your back. Once you follow the steps mentioned below, you will be able to install custom ROMs, flash custom ROMs, grant yourself root access, and much more. Basically, you need the Mi Flash Unlock Toolkit and few other things before you can start doing it. This particular method works on devices such as Xiaomi Mi 4C, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, Xiaomi Mi 5C, Xiaomi Mi 4S, Redmi Note 3, Mi Note Pro, and other upcoming smartphones.
Watch this video: How to Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Phones
- Firstly, you are needed to take a full backup of your phone that prevent any data lost during the bootloader unlocking process.
- You need to install Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC for which, the link is given here.
- Now, go to ‘Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging’.
- Also, you need an official MIUI ROM installed in your phone after which, you can follow this method to unlock the bootloader efficiently.
- Once you perform this process, your phone will lose the warranty on it as it has been void now.
- Chances of phone or software getting damage are imminent, so start with care.
Instructions to Get The Unlock Code:
This is a two-part guide where the first one is to obtain unlocking permissions for the phone and the next procedure is to unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi devices.
This is the very first step in this guide where you need to request for permissions to unlock the device easily. Follow the procedure as mentioned below.
- Open Google Chrome or any browser that you use on your computer and go to Unlock Request Page.
- Press on the ‘Unlock Now’ button located on the screen.
- Next, the website will prompt you to enter the Mi account details i.e. Email ID and Password as entered when creating a Mi account. If you don’t have one, you can register for a new one using the available options.
- Use the same Mi Account to login into the Mi Flash Unlock Tool.
- Once you are successfully logged in, you will have to enter the details on why you want to unlock the bootloader for which, the reasons can be –
- The phone is rebooting repeatedly
- The phone is freezing or stuck at the logo.
- Next, enter your Name, Country, and then, enter your Phone Number.
- There is a text box where you need to feed in a short reason why you need to unlock the bootloader for which, we have already specified the reasons.
- Next is to enter the Captcha code as shown in the adjoining image.
- Now tick the disclaimer and finally hit the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- At the next page, you will be asked to enter the OTP sent on the number you fed onto the previous page where you can enter it and tap on Next button.
- If you didn’t receive the OTP, tap on ‘Resend’ button and you’ll receive it again.
- Now, once you have requested the unlock permissions for the device, you need to wait patiently for some days as it may take up to ten days straight to finally update you.
- You’ll receive an SMS regarding the acceptance of request after which, you can follow the procedure two mentioned below.
Install Mi Flash Tool and Drivers
- Download the Mi Flash Unlock Tool for which, the direct link is available here and then, extract it.
- Now, tap on the ‘Settings > About phone > MIUI Version’ on which, you need to tap 7 to 8 times to enable the Developer Options.
- Once, you do it, open the Options and tick to Enable USB Debugging.
- Next, download and install the Xiaomi USB Drivers for your respective phone and as said, the links are available right here.
- Use the Mi Account you had or you just created to access the Toolkit.
Instructions to Unlock Bootloader
- Run the Mi Flash Unlock Toolkit that you recently extracted and ‘Agree’ to the disclaimer to the screen.
- Once you run it, enter the email address and the password and then, tap on ‘Sign In’ to log in to the toolkit.
- Next step is to access the fastboot mode on your phone which is simple. Press the Power plus Volume Down button to enter the fastboot mode.
- Now, connect the phone to the PC using USB and tap on the ‘Unlock’ button.
- This will initiate the process of unlocking bootloader which could take around 2 to 3 minutes before it is complete.
- You’ll receive the message on the computer screen after the process is over.
- Now, press the Power button and reboot the phone so that the changes can take place on your phone.
- It’s done, now you have unlocked the bootloader so that you can install the Custom ROM, flash custom ROMs and much more.
What will and will not happen after unlocking bootloader?
Even after you have unlocked the bootloader on your Xiaomi device, it won’t affect OTA updates that are sent to your phone normally. Some features might be or might not work on your phone. Also, there are chances of losing some data as a result of unlocking the bootloader. Use the same Mi Account to unlock and lock the bootloader since the change in the account can spark errors such as “Current account is different from the account info on the device”. Unlocking the bootloader on your phone isn’t tough since there are only a few steps that you need to do and it gives more capabilities and features.