All the hypes about the Nothing Phone 1 have finally ended as the device has already reached people’s hands. The first mid-range phone from Nothing has an impressive design and many LEDs on the back, something we have never seen on a smartphone. Like every other new phone, Android enthusiasts (including you) might want to develop or test custom ROMs, mods, and kernels on this new phone. Upon reading this blog post, you will know how to unlock the bootloader and root Nothing Phone 1.
Nothing Phone 1, like any other Android phone out there, comes with a locked bootloader. OEMs do not want you to unlock it as it can damage your phone. Hence, the bootloader is locked by default. But, if you are an Android enthusiast like me who keeps on testing/developing custom ROMs, mods, or kernels, unlocking the bootloader and rooting the device is a must.
if have ever unlocked the bootloader a non-carrier variant of the OnePlus device, you should not be having any issues with unlocking the bootloader of Nothing Phone 1. You can literally unlock the bootloader in a couple of minutes. And, with the Magisk, we’ll be rooting the Nothing Phone 1. Follow the steps mentioned in the article in the same order, otherwise, you might end up doing something wrong with the device.
Nothing Phone 1: Device Overview
Nothing Phone 1 was the first phone brand and was probably one of the most hyped phones this year. The device features a 6.55-inch FullHD+ OLED screen with a 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+ support, and 1200 nits of peak brightness. Under the hood, the phone is powered by a mid-range Snapdragon 778G+ chipset, coupled with up to 12GB RAM and 256GB of storage.
The Nothing Phone 1 features a dual-camera setup on the rear side. It includes a 50MP primary sensor with OIS and a 50MP ultrawide lens with a 114-degree field of view. On the front, we have a 16MP selfie camera in a punch-hole style. The smartphone ships with Android 12-based Nothing OS custom skin. It packs a 4,500mAh battery with support for 33W wired and 15W wireless charging. The phone supports 5W reverse wireless charging too.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Nothing Phone 1
Having a locked bootloader in a phone is a plus point for device security as no modifications are allowed. But, you need to unlock it in order to customize and root your Nothing Phone 1. Note that unlocking the bootloader can wipe all the data from your Nothing phone such as photos, videos, documents, etc. Take a complete backup before proceeding.
Follow these steps to unlock the bootloader:
1. Open the Settings app on your phone and click on About Phone.
2. Tap on Software Info and locate Build Number. Tap 7 times on it to enable Developer options settings.
3. Go back to Settings and tap on System.
4. Scroll down and locate Developer options. Click on it.
5. Scroll down and find OEM unlocking. Enable it. If you’ve set a lock screen password or PIN, you need to enter it on the next screen.
6. Find USB debugging and enable it as well.
8. Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable. Tap Allow if your phone asks for USB debugging authorization.
9. If you are a Windows user, open the ADB folder, press Shift + right-click and select Open Windows PowerShell here. Mac and Linux can directly open the command windows.
10. In the command prompt window, run the following command.
The command will return the device serial id. If you can see it, it means that the computer can run ADB commands. If this is your first time settings up ADB on your Nothing phone, you’ll see a prompt on your phone to grant the permission. Give the permission and run the same command to check the ADB connection.
11. Enter the following ADB command and hit Enter to enter your phone into the bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
12. Now, you need to switch from bootloader to Fastboot mode. Use volume buttons to navigate the press the power button to select. Now, run the following command to unlock the bootloader of your Nothing Phone 1
fastboot flashing unlock
13. You’ll see a warning about the risk of unlocking the bootloader. Skip the message, and use the volume buttons to navigate to the unlock the bootloader option. Press the power button to select it.
14. The bootloader of the phone will be unlocked. You can see the “unlocked” text on your screen.
15. Now, reboot the phone to the Android OS. Use the option in the bootloader menu or run the following command to reboot your phone.
You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Nothing Phone 1. Now, you can proceed to root your phone.
How to Root Nothing Phone 1 With Magisk
Now that you have an unlocked bootloader on your Nothing Phone 1, you can now root your phone. Follow these steps in the same order:
1. Download the full OTA package that has the same build version your Nothing Phone 1 is currently running on. As of writing this post, the latest version is Nothing OS 1.0.2. You can download the full OTA ZIP using this link.
2. Extract boot.img file from the OTA package and save it on your phone.
3. Download and install the Magisk app on your Nothing Phone 1.
4. Open the Magisk app and click on Install next to the Magisk.
5. Tap on Select and Patch a File.
6. Select the boot.img file you saved in step 2. Magisk will patch the boot image.
7. A file will be saved in the download folder on your phone with the name magisk_patched.img.
8. Make a copy of the patched boot image (magisk_patched.img) and paste it to the ADB folder on your PC.
9. On your PC, rename the file to boot.img.
10. Open the Developer options on your phone and turn on USB Debugging.
11. Connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable.
12. Open the command window and run the following command to enter the phone into the bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
13. Flash the patch boot image using the following command.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
14. Run this command to reboot your phone.
15. Open the Magisk app and you’ll see that the phone has been rooted. Install the Magisk app if it’s not installed already.
Rooting your Nothing Phone 1 is not rocket science. You just need to follow the proper steps. But yes, it involves a risk. I hope that you were able to unlock the bootloader and root your Nothing Phone 1. Did you face any difficulty at any point? Do let us know your suggestions or query in the comments below.