Time and again we keep telling that software updates are the most important aspects of any gadget. let it be a PC, a tab or a smartphone. Talking about Windows PC, Microsoft drops the software updates regularly for the security and maintenance of the devices. Usually, these are automatic updates. You simply have to click a button to download and install the newly available software build.
In fact, you even get notified of the update when it becomes available. Pretty much straight forward business. However, some people face this issue where they do not receive any software update notification. Adding to that they cannot even see any newly available updates on their PC. So, they get worried about maintaining and securing their PC. Well, there is nothing to worry about. A user can Update Microsoft Windows Manually on his PC. In this guide, we will tell you how to do this easily.
How to Update Microsoft Windows Manually on a PC
When we talk about manual installation, we also have to download the software manually. Prior downloading we must know what version of the system our PC is running. Then accordingly we will look for the latest available build for the device.
This is how you can check the current Windows OS version and architecture as well.
- Press Windows + I to go to the Settings page
- Now click System > on the left-hand side scroll down to About. Click on it.
- As you may see my PC runs on a 64-bit operating system. Also, the version of Windows is 1909.
Download Software Update
Now that we are done checking the device specifications, we will head towards downloading the appropriate software package.
- Go to the official Windows Update History page.
- Depending upon your Windows version (like for my PC it’s 1909) check on the left-hand side.
- Also, make sure to confirm the Knowledge Base denoted by KB.
- Now go to the Microsoft Update Catalog
- Search in the catalog using the Knowledge Base number.
- Now from the list of available firmware download the file depending upon your System version and Windows version. If you have a 64-bit OS, then download the corresponding file as per the KB number.
- The software download link should have a .msu extension. Download the same.
Check it Out | Microsoft Windows Disk Cleanup Explained in Details
Install and Update Microsoft Windows Manually
- In the search box type cmd to open the Command Prompt
- You have to type the following command in the provided format
C:\path of the folder-where-you-downloaded-software\file-name.msu /quiet /norestart
- The installation will take some time to finish up
- After the installation is finished, you have to manually restart your device.
That’s it. This is the official way by which you can update Microsoft Windows Manually on your PC and laptop. We hope that you have found this guide useful. Do check out our other guides on Microsoft Windows.
You May Also Like,
- How to Use Microsoft Troubleshooter Utility
- How to Solve Windows Software Update not Working for any PC