The error code 0xc000000f appears when the user tries to boot their Windows computer. When Windows computers get old, they are more prone to different errors like the error code 0xc000000f. This error can affect older versions of Windows like Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP as well as newer versions like Windows 8, and Windows 10.
The error message informs that the Windows failed to read the Boot Configuration Data and to repair the error you need to use the Windows installation media. The most annoying thing about the error is it doesn’t let you restart your PC. But you don’t worry, because we have provided you with solutions that you can use to solve this error.
Table of Contents
Reasons behind the Error Code 0xc000000f:
Many reasons can produce the error 0xc000000f on your Windows computer. The top three problems that can potentially cause the error are listed down below.
- Corrupted BCD files: BCD(Boot Configuration Database) is a global database. BOOTMGR uses the BCD files to boot the computer. If the BCD files are corrupted or damaged, then BOOTMGR will not be able to read it. That’s why corrupted BCD files are the main reason for the error 0xc000000f.
- Data cables not working properly.
- Boot sector failure.
Solutions for the Error Code 0xc000000f:
We have jotted down several solutions that can help you with the error 0xc000000f. Go through these solutions one by one.
Solution 1: Use the Startup Repair tool from the Windows installation media
The first thing you should do is what your computer asking you. But before you use the Startup tool, prepare a Bootable USB/DVD. The Startup Repair tool helps you with the damaged BCD files. It scans the corrupted system files and replaces them if required. To use a Startup tool, follow these instructions.
- Insert the Windows Setup disc into the DVD reader or insert the bootable USB flash drive on your PC and then, reboot your PC.
- You have to choose to boot from the Windows Setup disc or the USB (Choose the one which you are using as a bootable media).
- Then, press “Enter“, or “Space” when you see the “Press any key” notification on your screen.
- After the Windows Setup loading is complete, click “Next“.
- Then, click on the “Repair your computer” option.
- You have to choose the “Troubleshoot” option and then, select the “Startup Repair” option.
- When you start the Startup repairing process, it scans all the system files, and fix if any corruption is present in those files.
- Next step is to restart your Windows PC and see if the error is resolved.
Solution 2: Rebuild BCD using Command Prompt
You can solve the error by running a simple command line that helps you in rebuilding BCD files. Follow these steps given below to rebuild BCD files.
- Prepare a bootable media.
- Insert the bootable media, and then reboot your computer.
- When prompted, press any key.
- Choose the appropriate language, time, currency and keyboard. Click “Next“.
- Choose the OS that you need to repair and select “Next“.
- Go to the System Recovery Options.
- Open the Command Prompt
- Input the command line given below, then hit Enter.
- The process will take some time to rebuild the BCD.
- After the process is complete, check for the error.
Solution 3: Delete the old BCD files
In case, the above solution didn’t work for you, then you can choose to delete the old BCD and then build new BCD files. Again you have to use the Command Prompt for this purpose. Prepare a bootable media. Use the bootable media to boot your PC. When you reach the System Recovery Options, go to the Command Prompt window. Now, you have to run the following command lines in the Command Prompt window. And keep it in mind to press Enter after each command line.
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd –s –h –r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
After the process is complete, check for the error.
Solution 4: Check the data cables
A faulty data cable can hinder the booting process of your Windows computer and produce the error 0xc000000f. So, you should check the data cables. And if you are using very old data cables, then it’s better to replace them with new ones.
The error 0xc000000f is very annoying as it doesn’t let you restart your computer. If you want to use your computer, you have to solve this error. Also, the error 0xc000000f is a common error.
It has happened with the previous Windows versions. So, do not panic. With the help of this guide, you are going to solve the error 0xc000000f. And your Windows computer will run as smoothly as never before. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.