2021’s Chivalry 2 is one of the multiplayer hack and slash first-person action video games, developed by Torn Banner Studios and published by Tripwire Interactive. It’s a sequel to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare that becomes one of the popular hack and slasher titles in the market. Though players and critics are quite happy with this game, some unfortunate Chivalry 2 players are reporting about the crashing issue on Startup on their Windows PC which is irritating.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter this particular issue on Windows then don’t worry because this is one of the common issues among PC gamers for years. Luckily, there are a couple of possible workarounds mentioned below that should gonna help you out. The startup crashing or the game not launching issue may appear on your PC due to several possible reasons which can be related to the game or even your PC’s software and hardware.
- Why Chivalry 2 is Crashing?
- Fix: Chivalry 2 Crashing on Startup on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Run the Game Launcher as an Administrator
- 3. Update Graphics Drivers
- 4. End Background Processes
- 5. Run Additional Command-Line Argument
- 6. Disable Windows Firewall
- 7. Turn Off Antivirus Protection
- 8. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 9. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
- 10. Perform a Clean Boot
- 11. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
- 12. Repair Game Files
- 13. Update Chivalry 2
Why Chivalry 2 is Crashing?
Talking about the crashing issue, it may happen due to the issues with game files, corrupted game installation, overclocking software, running overlay apps, background running unnecessary tasks, outdated game version, outdated graphics driver version, issues with the DirectX or Visual C++ Redistributables, etc. As you’re now aware of the possible reasons behind such an issue, it’s time to jump into the workarounds below to try fixing it manually.
Fix: Chivalry 2 Crashing on Startup on PC
As mentioned, here we’ve shared a couple of troubleshooting methods for you to follow one by one until the problem gets fixed completely. So, without further ado, let’s get into it.
1. Check System Requirements
First of all, you should cross-check whether the game’s system requirements are compatible with your PC configuration or not. Sometimes an outdated PC build or a low-end PC hardware specification can eventually trigger the startup crashing issue. Most affected PC gamers don’t even realize this thing and start blaming the game. If you’re not sure whether your PC is compatible with the game or not, make sure to check the requirements below.
If in case, your PC build is compatible enough with the game then you can head over to the next method. Otherwise, try upgrading the specific hardware to become eligible to play.
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i3-4370
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB
- DirectX: Version 10
- Storage: 35 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i7 6700 or AMD Ryzen 5 3500x
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD RX Vega-56
- DirectX: Version 10
- Storage: 35 GB available space
2. Run the Game Launcher as an Administrator
It’s also recommended to always run the game launcher executable file as administrator access on the Windows PC so the User Account Control (UAC) can allow all the access properly. Sometimes the system may think you’re trying to run the game launcher or game file without authorizing it. You can follow the steps below to do so:
- Right-click on Steam or Epic Games Launcher exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
- Now, you can just double-click on the specific launcher exe file to launch it. Then you can run the Chivalry 2 game without any issue.
3. Update Graphics Drivers
Another thing you can do is simply check for the graphics driver update and install the latest update (if available). An outdated or corrupted graphics driver on the PC may trigger multiple issues with the graphics-intensive programs to run properly.
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list to open the interface.
- Now, you’ll need to double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name you’re using to bring the context menu.
- Next, click on Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- The system will automatically check for the available update.
- If an update is available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to restart your PC to apply the changes.
If you cannot find any update, then make sure to head over to the official graphics card website and search manually for the latest update. If a new version is available, just download the file on your PC and install it. Whatever graphics card you use, jump to the link below as per the manufacturer.
4. End Background Processes
The chances are high that somehow your system becomes laggy or gets overloaded by a lot of unnecessary background running tasks. These tasks basically consume system resources like CPU, Memory, or internet bandwidth which can seriously impact the game launching experience. If those tasks (third-party) aren’t necessary for you then try closing them completely by following the steps below.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc shortcut keys on the keyboard to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Make sure to select the task individually that you want to close.
- Then click on End Task to close it.
- As mentioned, do the same steps for each task that you want to close.
- Once done, close the Task Manager window, and restart your PC.
5. Run Additional Command-Line Argument
You should also run a command-line argument on the specific game launcher to forcefully launch the Chivalry 2 game with the required DirectX version. The chances are high that somehow your system isn’t able to run the specific game with the latest DirectX version. To do that:
- Launch the Steam client > Make sure you’re signed in to the account.
- Go to LIBRARY > From the left pane, right-click on Chivalry 2 game.
- Click on Properties > Select GENERAL.
- Type -dx10 under the Launch Options.
- Now, go back to the main launcher menu, and run the game.
- If prompted, select the option, and you’re good to go.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open Epic Games Launcher > Go to Settings at the bottom left side.
- Go to the end of the page and click on the Manage Games section.
- Search for Chivalry 2 and click on it.
- Now, tickmark the Additional Command-Line Arguments checkbox.
- Type in -dx10 in the box > Go back and launch the game again.
6. Disable Windows Firewall
If in case, you’re using the default Windows Firewall protection on your PC then you should turn it off temporarily and check for the issue again. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result.
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings.
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
7. Turn Off Antivirus Protection
You can also try turning off the Windows Defender option on your PC to ensure there is no antivirus software blocking the game files to run properly.
- Press Windows + I shortcut keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings.
- Next, you’ll need to simply turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
If in case, you’re using any other antivirus program on your PC then make sure to turn it off.
8. Set High Performance in Power Options
Mostly the Windows system is set on the default Balanced Power Mode which offers both performance and power consumption at the same time. But sometimes, this mode can occur performance issues on your PC when it comes to graphics-hungry programs. It’s better to set the power mode to High Performance, which can improve the tasks. However, this mode will consume more power or battery juice than normal. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type control panel and search for it.
- Open Control Panel from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
- It might fix the Chivalry 2 Crashing issue on your PC.
9. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
If your Windows computer isn’t running the latest version or the required version of the Microsft Visual C++ Runtime then you may encounter several issues whatsoever. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open the Start Menu.
- Now, type apps & features to search.
- Open Apps & Features from the search result.
- Click on the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) from the list individually.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete uninstallation.
- Next, visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer > Restart the system to change effects.
10. Perform a Clean Boot
As per some reports, multiple programs are always running in the background from when the Windows system boots up. So, those services may consume the system resources and internet data without your knowledge. It’s better to perform a clean boot and turn off unnecessary startup applications by following the steps below.
- Press Windows + R shortcut keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- Click on the Startup tab from Task Manager.
- Make sure to click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn it off. [Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact]
- Finally, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
11. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
Sometimes a couple of applications may come with an additional overlay app that basically helps the streamers or gamers a lot. However, these overlay apps can eventually conflict with the game files to run smoothly and may cause several issues like FPS drops, black screen issues, lags, glitches, etc. You should try disabling the overlay apps manually before launching the game again to cross-check whether the crashing issue has been fixed or not. To do so:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
- Select Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on the Games tab > Select Chivalry 2.
- Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
- Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
- Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes, and launch the game again.
There are some other overlay apps that can cause trouble for you something as MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, etc. You should turn them off as well.
12. Repair Game Files
A corrupted or missing games files on the PC can eventually trigger multiple issues with the game launching or performance whatsoever. To do so:
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Chivalry 2 from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Click on the three-dots icon of Chivalry 2.
- Click on Verify and it’ll start verifying the game files.
- Wait for the process to complete and restart the launcher.
- It should fix Chivalry 2 Crashing issue on your PC.
13. Update Chivalry 2
If none of the methods worked for you, then check for Chivalry 2 game update because an outdated game version can have bugs or stability issues. So, if you haven’t updated your game for a while, then follow the steps below to check for updates and install the latest update.
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library > Click on Chivalry 2 from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- Wait some time to install the update > Once done, close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Head over to Library.
- Now, click on the three dots icon of Chivalry 2.
- Make sure the Auto Update option is turned on.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.