A city-building game is a genre of simulation video game that offers decision making, planning, management skills, and more options to the players to build/develop a cool fast-paced growing city/town. While talking about the city-building video games, it’s needless to say about ‘Cities: Skylines‘. Currently, some of the Cities Skylines PC gamers are reporting that the game save doesn’t load or the mods cause an error. So, if you’re also facing the same issue, then this guide is for you.
Here we’ve provided some of the possible workarounds that can be helpful in order to fix the particular issue. According to the Paradox Interactive support team, with each and every patch update, the Cities Skylines Mods are getting outdated. It literally means that your previously saved games either don’t load or may not run properly. So, it’s better to disable the game mods right now and wait for the creators to update the mods again. Meanwhile, you can run new cities in the game without mods.
Cities Skylines Save doesn’t load or Mods cause an error: How to Fix?
As we’ve already mentioned that you will need to disable or remove the older mods. In order to do this, follow the below steps:
- Add the following launch options: –disableMods –noWorkshop (How to guide)
- Run the Cities Skylines game.
- If this method works for you, that means one or more of your game mods are causing the issue or an error.
- Open the Content Manager and unsubscribe to all your mods and close the game.
- Open your game installation directory on the PC. (If you can’t find it, right-click on the game in Steam client > Properties > Browse Local Files)
- Now, remove the Addons folders. (Note: Make sure to copy the Addons folders to another folder or drive as a backup before deleting them)
- Then head over to the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines on your Windows PC.
- /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines on Mac.
- /home/<username>/.local/share/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines on Linux.
- Finally, you will need to delete the Addons folders from the mentioned path.
- Once done, reboot the computer and start the Steam client > Run the Cities Skylines game.
Now, if in case, the above method doesn’t work for you, then you may have to re-install the game completely (highly recommended). In order to do this:
- Remove the game from the Steam library. (delete local game files)
- Restart your computer.
- Now, check whether any game files or folder are still present on the PC drive or not. So, you will need to manually check and delete all the files & folders from the following directories:
Note: Make sure to copy the /saves/ folder from these locations to any other location or drive as a backup of your saved games.
- …\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines
- …\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines
We can now assume that the game should run properly on your PC without any mods. If you’ve enough knowledge or support, then you can try adding mods one by one to check which one is causing the error in the game. Otherwise, you can wait for the updated mods.
That’s it, guys. We hope this troubleshooting guide was helpful to you. For any queries, you can comment below.