EA Sports has released its last ever football video game ‘FIFA 23‘ under the FIFA franchise after almost 20 years of collaboration. Next year, you may see EA Sports FC as the new title of this game (rebranded) but the core structure and mechanics might be the same. However, it seems that even after two decades, developers haven’t done anything exceptional. Meanwhile, FIFA 23 Not Working, Not Launching, or Loading issue on Steam Deck is troubling a lot.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide to fix it. To recall, Valve Corporation has done a great job by releasing Steam Deck as a powerful handheld PC gaming console that is capable to run PC titles seamlessly in the form of a console. However, startup crashes, lags, loading issues, stutters, etc start appearing to the Steam Deck users that you can manually try to fix by following this guide.
- FIFA 23 Not Working, Not Launching, or Loading on Steam Deck, How to Fix?
- 1. Reboot Steam Deck
- 2. Force Reboot Steam Deck
- 3. Check for SteamOS Updates
- 4. Check for FIFA 23 Updates
- 5. Check Internal Storage Space
- 6. Reinsert the MicroSD Card
- 7. Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization
- 8. Force Change Proton Version on Steam Deck
- 9. Ensure FIFA 23 is Verified on Steam Deck
- 10. Reinstall FIFA 23
- 11. Factory Reset Steam Deck
- 12. Contact Steam Deck
FIFA 23 Not Working, Not Launching, or Loading on Steam Deck, How to Fix?
There are several possible reasons can be found behind the FIFA 23 not running properly issue on Steam Deck such as system glitches, outdated system software, an outdated game version, issues with the cloud sync, mismatched Proton version on Steam Deck, other in-game configuration issues, and more. Luckily, there are some troubleshooting methods mentioned below that can help you to fix this issue completely. So, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
1. Reboot Steam Deck
It’s highly suggested to reboot your Steam Deck via the Software Updates option to ensure no temporary system glitch is available. Sometimes, a temporary system glitch or cache data issue can trouble you. To do so:
- Press the Steam button from the left side of the Steam Deck.
- Select Power > Choose Restart.
- Once the device reboots, check for the issue again.
2. Force Reboot Steam Deck
You should force restart the Steam Deck manually by following the steps below if you still face the same issue. It’s better to force reboot Steam Deck if it’s powered on but unresponsive or stutters a lot. To do this:
- Press and hold the Power button for at least 3 seconds. If it remains unresponsive, try long-pressing the Power button for around 10 seconds to reboot the system again forcefully.
3. Check for SteamOS Updates
An outdated SteamOS version can trouble you a lot regarding bugs, stability issues, security issues, etc. It’s better to check for SteamOS updates on Steam Deck manually by following the steps below.
- Press the Steam button on the left side of the Steam Deck.
- Go to Settings > Head over to the System tab.
- Select Check for Updates on the right side.
- If there is an update available, tap on Apply.
- Now, wait for the software update to complete.
- Then tap on Restart to apply changes.
4. Check for FIFA 23 Updates
It can also be possible that the outdated game version is conflicting with the system to run properly due to some bugs. You should check for the game update by following the steps below.
- Open your Steam Library > Under the FIFA 23 library page, select Manage.
- Choose Properties > Select the Updates tab.
- Make sure to select Automatic updates > Reboot the Steam Deck.
- Whenever a new update is available for FIFA 23, it’ll automatically install.
5. Check Internal Storage Space
You should also check for the available data storage space on your Steam Deck because low disk space can cause several issues with the FIFA 23 launching and performance. Just press the Steam button on Steam Deck > Go to Settings > Choose Storage. If the available storage space becomes low, delete or uninstall unnecessary apps/games from the console to free up some space.
6. Reinsert the MicroSD Card
The chances are high that a corrupted MicroSD card on the Steam Deck may also trigger multiple issues with the FIFA 23 game while launching it. So, it’s better to fully format the MicroSD card before using it with your Steam Deck. To format a microSD card:
- Make sure to properly insert the MicroSD card into the memory slot on the bottom side.
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck > Go to Settings.
- Choose System > Select Format SD Card.
- It may take a couple of minutes to complete the format.
Please Note: Any UHS-I (class 3 or better) microSD card is supported. Steam Deck does not support UHS-II. If your MicroSD card is older enough or gets corrupted often, it’s time to get a new One.
7. Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization
If you’ve disabled the Steam Cloud Synchronization feature on your Steam Deck, then turn it on right now to properly cloud sync the game with servers. To do so:
- Press the Steam button > Select the Steam menu at the top-left corner.
- Go to Settings from the list > Navigate to the Cloud tab.
- Checkmark the Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization box.
- Select OK to save the changes.
- Once done, restart the Steam Deck to apply changes.
8. Force Change Proton Version on Steam Deck
It’s highly recommended to forcefully change the Proton version on the Steam Deck by following the steps below because it can impact the game launching or performance a lot.
- Select FIFA 23 from Library.
- Go to Settings of the game > Go to Properties.
- Choose the Compatibility option in the left sidebar.
- Make sure to click on the checkbox and select Proton Experimental.
- You can now select the version you want to use.
9. Ensure FIFA 23 is Verified on Steam Deck
Check if your Deck is verified or not for the FIFA 23 game to play seamlessly without any further modifications. The Steam ‘Deck Verified’ system has four categories to indicate how well games will work on it. If a game is Playable or Unsupported then you can see what requirements of Verified are not currently met by referring to the Steam Deck Compatibility section on the game’s Steam Store page.
- Verified: The game works great on Steam Deck by default. No additional modification is necessary.
- Playable: The game works, but may require some manual configuration from the user. This could include adjusting controller configurations or using a mouse or touchscreen to navigate a launcher.
- Unsupported: The game is currently not considered playable on Steam Deck.
- Unknown: We haven’t tested this game for compatibility yet. Feel free to give it a try, but we don’t have any information about how it works.
10. Reinstall FIFA 23
If the above methods didn’t work for you then it’s better to uninstall and reinstall the FIFA 23 game on your Steam Deck by following the steps below. The chances are high that reinstalling the game might fix several conflicts or issues with launching and stuttering.
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck to open Settings.
- Scroll down in the sidebar and select Storage.
- Select the FIFA 23 game that you want to uninstall.
- Now, press the X key to Uninstall the game.
- Wait for the game to be deleted completely.
- Once done, make sure to reinstall the FIFA 23 game via the Steam Store again.
11. Factory Reset Steam Deck
You should also perform the factory reset method on Steam Deck to delete all the data and settings to the default state. It can also help you to fix crashing issues with the game. To do so:
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck to open Settings.
- Under the System menu, scroll to the bottom and select Factory Reset.
- If prompted, make sure to confirm & proceed.
- The process may take some time to complete.
- Once done, make sure to go through the initial setup process for the first time.
12. Contact Steam Deck
If none of the methods worked for you well enough then make sure to contact Steam Support to create a support ticket for the same. The chances are high that Steam support will assist you further on it.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.