The newly launched sequel Amnesia: Rebirth has been a topic for a while among the Steam players due to its improvements, nice gameplay, and an overall package that suits the name ‘Amnesia’. Although Steam Error is one of the most common issues for the unfortunate PC players which we can’t deny. Now, the Amnesia: Rebirth Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable) issue starts appearing to the players.
If you’re also one of them feel free to ask in the comment below for further queries. However, we can expect that the game developers should come with a new fix. Till then if you’re getting affected by this particular error quite randomly then make sure to check the troubleshooting guide below in order to quickly resolve the issue without waiting further. However, we should mention that this particular issue isn’t specific to any game and can happen to any game.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Fix Amnesia: Rebirth Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)
How to Fix Amnesia: Rebirth Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)
This specific error message occurs with a variety of messages while updating the game, installing, launching the game, etc. It basically looks like the executable (exe) file of the game becomes corrupted or missing somehow. So, the missing or corrupted game exe file can happen due to the lack of admin access, antivirus or firewall protection, corrupted Steam cache, etc.
1. Run Steam as Administrator
- Right-click on the Steam desktop shortcut file and click on Properties.
- Next, go to the Compatibility tab > Click to mark the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ checkbox.
- Then click on Apply and OK to save changes.
Now, you should also require to give full access to the installed Steam folder by following the guide below:
- Locate the Steam folder [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam].
- Right-click on the Steam folder > Click on Edit.
- Click to check ‘Allow’ for Full Control > Finally, click on Apply and then OK.
Once all done, restart your computer and try running the Amnesia: Rebirth game on the Steam client.
2. Repair Steam Library
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Steam from the top left corner of the interface.
- Go to Settings > Select Downloads > Click on Steam Library Folder.
- Now, right-click on the Steam Library Folder > Click on Repair Library Folder.
- You’ll get prompts to give the permission by Steam and Windows system. Allow all the permissions.
- You’re done. Now, you shouldn’t get Amnesia: Rebirth Missing Executable error.
3. Repair Game Files
- Launch the Steam client > Head over to the Library.
- Right-click on the Amnesia: Rebirth game icon.
- Choose Properties > Go to the Local Files tab.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files…
- Proceed to the process and verify installed game files.
- It may take some time. So, have some patience.
- Once done, restart your PC.
If there are any corrupted or missing game files available on Steam, it will be automatically repaired or fixed in most cases.
4. Whitelist your game to Windows Defender
- Press Windows + I shortcut to open up the Windows Settings page.
- Click on Update & Security > Click on Windows Security.
- Select Virus & Threat Protection > Under the Virus & Threat Protection settings, click on Manage Settings.
- Head over to the Exclusions > Click on Add or remove exclusions.
- Next, click on Add an exclusion > Select Folder.
- Browse the Steam folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam > Set the exclusion.
Do almost the same process to whitelist your installed game folder to any of your third-party antivirus applications.
5. Add Exception to Firewall
- Press Windows key on the keyboard > Type Firewall from the Start menu search.
- Now, click on the Firewall & network protection.
- Click on ‘Allow an app through firewall’.
- Here you can see the ‘Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall’ page.
- Click on Change settings > Now, scroll down and select the Steam and Amnesia: Rebirth. Select both the Private and Public domains.
- Click on OK to save changes.
- Finally, restart your computer and try launching the game.
6. Launch the game directly (exe)
It’s also recommended that not to use the Steam client every time if there is an issue popping out randomly. Make sure to run the installed game file (exe) directly from the desktop or from the Start menu. Sometimes playing the game directly is so much useful and worthy than the Steam client.
7. Remove Game Files from Steam
- Launch the Steam Client > Go to Library.
- Click to select the Amnesia: Rebirth game from the list.
- Now, right-click on it and click on Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab > Choose to Browse Local Files.
- A new folder will now open. Just delete everything in the game folder.
- Close the Steam launcher and go to the Task Manager and end task from the Processes section also.
- Finally, start the Steam client and it’ll automatically re-download the game files again. (If prompted, you should allow permission to do that)
- Once done, you’re good to go.
8. Remove Steam Config Files
If none of the above methods worked for you, make sure to remove the Steam config files. Once deleted, Steam will automatically re-validate and reinstall the config files when you start Steam.
- Go to the location: Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia Rebirth/Data/ on your drive where you’ve installed the Steam launcher.
- Here you’ll get the Config Folder. Delete that folder completely and restart your computer.
- Finally, launch the Steam client and once you validate through Steam, it will automatically reinstall them.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, feel free to ask in the comment below.